• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help please

Larry007

Not sure if this is the right area to post: I live in Wethersfield, CT and the police department confiscated my firearms, now to get them back I just need someone with a carry permit from Connecticut to meet me at the station so I can bring them home. My permit has expired past the 90 Days so I have to retake the pistol course and the process might take up to eight weeks to reinstate my permits and none of my buddies permits, so I'm reaching out to the gun community for help. I'll even throw in some gas money for your time and it shouldn't take only a few minutes. Thanks

I can be reached at:
larrytaylor1971@Gmail.com

Larry,

brk913

Larry, please contact Rich, I am sure he can find someone to pick up your guns and get them back to your home, I would do it but my schedule will not allow for it right now. Regarding your permit, if you still have the certificate from your NRA class you do not need to retake it, it never expires, here is a link to the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners website showing this: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1253&Q=486876 If for some reason you do not have your certificate and cannot obtain a copy from your instructor feel free to contact me about attending a class at a discounted rate, you can reach me through www.ctpistolpermit.com

davidmcbeth

Banned
Regarding your permit, if you still have the certificate from your NRA class you do not need to retake it, it never expires, here is a link to the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners website showing this: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1253&Q=486876

Correct doctor !

But will the cops hand the gun over to the non-owner? There shouldn't be an issue but who knows .. they can be such pains in the butt ...

I've had this issue before, just a heads up....

brk913

Correct doctor !

But will the cops hand the gun over to the non-owner? There shouldn't be an issue but who knows .. they can be such pains in the butt ...

I've had this issue before, just a heads up....
Yes they will, I actually had to pick up a friends gun when he was arrested and had his permit pulled, once his case was dismissed in court he was allowed to reclaim his firearms but since his permit was pulled and he was awaiting his hearing to get it back I had to go with him to be the permit holder who would tranport them back to his house for him, I just had to show the officer my permit, he did not call it in or make a copy, just handed me the gun and told me it needed to stay in my possession until it was inside my friend's house. I was surprised that the officer even gave me the ammo they had removed from his carry firearm in a baggie, I figured that would not be given back.

brk913

They better. It is his property.
They did return it, but I had heard that unless it was actually evidence in a case that once ammunition was seized (during an arrest and from the gun that was being carried) that it was not returned to the owner as the PDs would dispose of it rather than store it (explosive, hazardous stuff you know...)......

Rich B

They did return it, but I had heard that unless it was actually evidence in a case that once ammunition was seized (during an arrest and from the gun that was being carried) that it was not returned to the owner as the PDs would dispose of it rather than store it (explosive, hazardous stuff you know...)......

I have not heard or experienced this. Do you have any cites or information for it? I would love to see them justify the wanton destruction of property for a silly excuse like that. There is nothing dangerous about storing ammunition.

Larry007

Thank You

Thank you so much for Rich to meet me down at the police station and retrieve my firearms back in custody.
I never knew that this could happen to me and I am a firm believer in second amendment rights.
I am a law abiding citizen and respect gun safety to the fullest, so when the police confiscated my firearms without cause
or being charged with any crime I felt violated. Again thank you Rich for all your help and open carry forum to voice our concerns.

Larry,

Rich B

Thank you so much for Rich to meet me down at the police station and retrieve my firearms back in custody.
I never knew that this could happen to me and I am a firm believer in second amendment rights.
I am a law abiding citizen and respect gun safety to the fullest, so when the police confiscated my firearms without cause
or being charged with any crime I felt violated. Again thank you Rich for all your help and open carry forum to voice our concerns.

No problem. It is what we do.

It was good meeting you. If you need any help with your permit, you know how to reach us.

When you have time, consider joining us: http://ctcarry.com/Account/Register

I think you would enjoy a bunch of the information we share.

motoxmann

out of curiosity, why did they seize your firearms? were you carrying them outside of your home? or did they actually come to your house and demand you hand them over, and why would they do that?

Last edited:

Larry007

My wife called 911 the morning after a night of drinking, we were at home and she mentioned I have firearms in the house so they confiscated them, cause they thought I might harm myself. I was never charged with any crime, it was just overkill by police.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

davidmcbeth

Banned

motoxmann

lmao @ david! love that movie!

My wife called 911 the morning after a night of drinking, we were at home and she mentioned I have firearms in the house so they confiscated them, cause they thought I might harm myself. I was never charged with any crime, it was just overkill by police.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

ah ok, makes perfect sense actually. glad to hear confiscation and being able to pick them up was the worst that came of it all.

davidmcbeth

Banned
lmao @ david! love that movie!

ah ok, makes perfect sense actually. glad to hear confiscation and being able to pick them up was the worst that came of it all.

Was a good movie.....

Now, should the police have cause to take a person's gun because he is drunk? The wife could have left the dwelling if she felt threatened but appears as if she did not. So how threatened did she actually feel?

If I had a mad man with a gun and I had none, I would not call 911 and then sit in the confined space of a house and watch Oprah while waiting for the po po to show up with the mad man 10 ft away from me.

And if being "drunk" is cause enough, then the cops can just follow everyone home from a bar, look up their guns that they own and effect confiscations. So gun owners have to be sober all the time? One cannot be drunk in public; one is almost required to store their guns at home to have them available for when a need arises.

Or someone being angry, is this cause enough?

You can see where this is going .....

But it seems reasonable .... but its actually not....

motoxmann

Amen Brutha!

though we don't know the entire story. there may be more details involved that were left out. and personally, it's probably best not to know those additional details and not to ask here on the forums. technically what the OP did say happened would justify a confiscation. He never said the wife was afraid of her safety or anything, so that seems a bit unrelated.
I've had a relative in that exact same situation before, and everything went the same as this one.

Rich did this gentleman a good favor. so on behalf of everyone; Thank You Rich :)

Last edited: