Thread: Illinois State Sen. Donne Trotter - Gun On Plane

Illinois State Sen. Donne Trotter - Gun On Plane

State Sen. Donne Trotter Arrested For Trying To Take Gun On Plane

LINK

Choice quotes (my comments in blue):

"Sen. Donne Trotter (D-Chicago) was charged with a felony count of attempting to board an aircraft with a [loaded] weapon, according to the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office. The charge carries a penalty of 1 to 3 years in jail." Oops.

"A police spokeswoman said Trotter is licensed to carry a weapon and has a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card." Must be nice to be one of the special few.

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said, “I don’t know why he would have a gun. If it’s a legal gun, he should know better than bringing it on a plane.” What the ... legal or illegal he should know better.

"During his time in the legislature, he has regularly been an anti-gun vote, and has opposed legislation that would allow for concealed carry in Illinois." Must really be nice to go against your own legislation to be one of the privileged.

"As for Trotter’s explanation that he forgot the gun was in his bag." This is understandable, BUT how are normal citizens prosecuted for the same crime of forgetting to clear their bags before packing for an airplane trip in Chicago? Are they let off with a warning or a slap on the wrist? I bet most innocent mistakes of forgetfulness end up doing most of the 1 to 3 years (and lifetime 2A ban).

Fellow members who are in (or closely watch) Chicago, Illinois and their draconian gun laws, do you have any recent (under 5 years) examples of similar cases (non-criminal, just having a handgun) and how much time they had to serve?

Any bets that this is plead down to a misdemeanor with no jail time, only a year or less of probation? Would a regular citizen get that?
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Banned
    South Side resident Kevin Atchison, who voted for Trotter in the recent election, said Trotter’s arrest could hurt him if he continues to try to run for Jackson’s seat in Congress.

Ya think? Hahahahaha ... nice to see one get burned ... seems as if he does not want citizens to be able to bear arms but can himself ... another commie.

I'll call his office up and ask if he wants some $$ for his defense ... I'll send him a Canadian penny...COD of course.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Hasn't this man already risen to his level of incompetence? Enough is enough.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-...alerts_article
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    An anti-gunner arrested on a gun charge..... How much better can it get ? He had his chance to make his state less nazi-Germany like. You reap what you sow.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    State Sen. Donne Trotter Arrested For Trying To Take Gun On Plane

LINK

Choice quotes (my comments in blue):

"Sen. Donne Trotter (D-Chicago) was charged with a felony count of attempting to board an aircraft with a [loaded] weapon, according to the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office. The charge carries a penalty of 1 to 3 years in jail." Oops.

"A police spokeswoman said Trotter is licensed to carry a weapon and has a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card." Must be nice to be one of the special few.

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said, “I don’t know why he would have a gun. If it’s a legal gun, he should know better than bringing it on a plane.” What the ... legal or illegal he should know better.

"During his time in the legislature, he has regularly been an anti-gun vote, and has opposed legislation that would allow for concealed carry in Illinois." Must really be nice to go against your own legislation to be one of the privileged.

"As for Trotter’s explanation that he forgot the gun was in his bag." This is understandable, BUT how are normal citizens prosecuted for the same crime of forgetting to clear their bags before packing for an airplane trip in Chicago? Are they let off with a warning or a slap on the wrist? I bet most innocent mistakes of forgetfulness end up doing most of the 1 to 3 years (and lifetime 2A ban).

Fellow members who are in (or closely watch) Chicago, Illinois and their draconian gun laws, do you have any recent (under 5 years) examples of similar cases (non-criminal, just having a handgun) and how much time they had to serve?

Any bets that this is plead down to a misdemeanor with no jail time, only a year or less of probation? Would a regular citizen get that?
    The article is not clear, they say he is "licensed" to carry. Is he LEOSA certified or is he licensed under that politician carry law that dates back to the 1800's in Illinois?

Just curious. If he is licensed under the politician carry law, can it be revoked for trying to carry through the airport secure area even if he is not convicted?

The way I understood it , he had a tan and a perc card for PI's and security guards. Here in Ill. that entails at least a 40 hour course and be employed as a PI or a armed guard.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    An anti-gunner arrested on a gun charge..... How much better can it get ? He had his chance to make his state less nazi-Germany like. You reap what you sow.
    Maybe we should invite Sen. Trotter to join our side?

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/12/10...medium=twitter

Trotter has been in the Illinois Assembly for 24 years. But while the company he claims employs him as a security guard, All Points Security and Detective Company, lists him as an employee, he never disclosed this employment on any of his campaign finance records. He is not answering questions about the second job. Neither is All Points.
    Is he using the security guard job to get around the fact that there is no way to legally carry for "ordinary" citizens in Illinois?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by jayspapa View Post
    The way I understood it , he had a tan and a perc card for PI's and security guards. Here in Ill. that entails at least a 40 hour course and be employed as a PI or a armed guard.
    A PI or guard can only carry while in performance of those duties and going to and from in Illinois.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    A PI or guard can only carry while in performance of those duties and going to and from in Illinois.
    You are correct . The gun was unloaded and in his bag so as long as he had an FOID card , he was transporting legally till he entered the secure area and put it through the scanner.

I heard on the news tonight he tried to get the judge to throw the case out. Judge didn't see it his way.