• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

THE American "Gun Culture?" We actually have TWO - educated and...

Gil223

Here are three excerpts - the intro, transition and the final sentence - from an article by Katie Pavlich, of Townhall.com.
Since NBC sportscaster Bob Costas went on his halftime anti-gun rant on Sunday using words written by Fox Sports Columnist Jason Whitlock, we’ve heard a lot from the media and from uniformed commentators about America’s “gun culture.” The fact is, America actually has two gun cultures and it is important to distinguish them from one another.

The first gun culture is deeply seated in American history and her founding. Founding Fathers like George Washington understood that an armed citizenry would prevent government tyranny, which is why we have the Second Amendment. This is a concept rapper Ice-T understands but sadly doesn’t promote in his songs.

“It’s legal in the United States, it’s part of our constitution. You know, that’s the last defense against tyranny,” Ice-T said in a local television interview last summer.
Then there's the second "gun culture"...
The other gun culture in America can be found in the inner city of Chicago, Washington D.C., New York City, Los Angeles and others. Ironically, violent gun culture is found within gangs in cities with the strictest gun laws. It is the same culture promoted in Hollywood films made by liberals, glorified by rappers whose music is worshiped in violent gang plagued neighborhoods and disrespectfully joked about at NBA parties.
The closing statement, although fairly accurate, is (IMO) a bit weak...
There are approximately 60 million gun owners and 100 million handguns in America. Each day, the vast majority of those gun owners use their guns properly. That is a gun culture to celebrate.

However, that which fills the space between intro and closing leaves me a bit bemused. I interpreted the comments as being borderline "political doublespeak". The complete article is available at - http://townhall.com/columnists/kati...urce=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

Is there anyone else in the forum that seems to get a bit bogged down trying to understand the "point(s)" being made in the middle, or am I just short bus "special"? ;) Pax...

Last edited: