Thread: So you think your personal emails are private? Think again!

So you think your personal emails are private? Think again!

Video of NSA whistle blower talking about how the NSA is storing ALL internet traffic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuET0...ure=g-logo-xit
    Last edited by CA2373; 12-07-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Banned
    I just cc the NSA on all emails ... when I talk about eliminating the NSA ...

Off Topic

This thread is way off topic.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

This thread is Off Topic,
    Speaking of the NSA, my plutonium is lost in transit somewhere. Maybe they interfered?

Good thing the high speed triggers made it. I'll have to do the machining part last is looks like.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I hope they like reading endless e-mails of women complaining how their husbands/boyfriends leave butt-hairs on the soap.

Also the e-mails of guys complaining to their friends how the wife's southern hemisphere is gaining rapidly in size.

Or do they just do that in text messages now and save the e-mail for more sinister stuff?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

How about this?
    Do you have the "Right To Remain Silent"?
    The Supreme Court's 2003 decision in Chavez vs.Martinez, in which a majority of the justices held that there was no violation of the "right to remain silent" when police officers employed brutal interrogation techniques against an individual, so long as the government did not use the information extracted from the individual in any criminal trial in which he was the accused.
    Put differently, the Court held that the Fifth Amendment right to remain silent is violated only when the information is used against the individual in a criminal case.
    Does this sound a bit like the Gitmo waterboarding? Damned right it does.
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 12-08-2012 at 07:07 PM.

So encrypt your emails with PGP or other strong encryption. I wouldn't bet on the NSA being unable to crack it forever (or even right now) but you can at least make them work for it...

Re: So you think your personal emails are private? Think again!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    How about this?
    Do you have the "Right To Remain Silent"?
    The Supreme Court's 2003 decision in Chavez vs.Martinez, in which a majority of the justices held that there was no violation of the "right to remain silent" when police officers employed brutal interrogation techniques against an individual, so long as the government did not use the information extracted from the individual in any criminal trial in which he was the accused.
    Put differently, the Court held that the Fifth Amendment right to remain silent is violated only when the information is used against the individual in a criminal case.
    Does this sound a bit like the Gitmo waterboarding? Damned right it does.
    I thought, and correct me if I am wrong, that there really is no right to remain silent per se.

The 5th amendment says you have the right not to "not be a witness against YOURSELF."

If they are asking about someone else or give you immunity then you have to spill the beans right? (Except spouses I know.)

Tap'n while driving...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    I thought, and correct me if I am wrong, that there really is no right to remain silent per se.

The 5th amendment says you have the right not to "not be a witness against YOURSELF."

If they are asking about someone else or give you immunity then you have to spill the beans right? (Except spouses I know.)

Tap'n while driving...

To continue derailing this WAY off-topic thread:

What law says you have to have ANY conversation with them? Laws only make things illegal. So unless there's a law that says I'm required to talk with them (LEO, prosecutor, etc.), I'm keeping my mouth shut.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

Re: So you think your personal emails are private? Think again!

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    So encrypt your emails with PGP or other strong encryption. I wouldn't bet on the NSA being unable to crack it forever (or even right now) but you can at least make them work for it...
    Using a 2048 of greater key pretty much ensures the NSA won't crack it.

That's not the problem though. They don't have to.

The can compromise you or your target's computer and get the private key. They can measure the em signals from your monitor and replicate it (Tempest). They can just jail or torture you until you provide your encryption key (this is why you have layers of encryption with hidden encryption volumes)

There are much easier ways to get your data than cracking encryption.

Encryption is just a basic step to take. You have to change your behavior.

Tap'n while driving...