• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So you think your personal emails are private? Think again!

Freedom1Man

This thread is Off Topic,
Speaking of the NSA, my plutonium is lost in transit somewhere. Maybe they interfered?

Good thing the high speed triggers made it. I'll have to do the machining part last is looks like.

amlevin

I hope they like reading endless e-mails of women complaining how their husbands/boyfriends leave butt-hairs on the soap.

Also the e-mails of guys complaining to their friends how the wife's southern hemisphere is gaining rapidly in size.

Or do they just do that in text messages now and save the e-mail for more sinister stuff? :)

Trigger Dr

How about this?
Do you have the "Right To Remain Silent"?
The Supreme Court's 2003 decision in Chavez vs.Martinez, in which a majority of the justices held that there was no violation of the "right to remain silent" when police officers employed brutal interrogation techniques against an individual, so long as the government did not use the information extracted from the individual in any criminal trial in which he was the accused.
Put differently, the Court held that the Fifth Amendment right to remain silent is violated only when the information is used against the individual in a criminal case.
Does this sound a bit like the Gitmo waterboarding? Damned right it does.

Last edited:

Difdi

So encrypt your emails with PGP or other strong encryption. I wouldn't bet on the NSA being unable to crack it forever (or even right now) but you can at least make them work for it...

Anonymouse

How about this?
Do you have the "Right To Remain Silent"?
The Supreme Court's 2003 decision in Chavez vs.Martinez, in which a majority of the justices held that there was no violation of the "right to remain silent" when police officers employed brutal interrogation techniques against an individual, so long as the government did not use the information extracted from the individual in any criminal trial in which he was the accused.
Put differently, the Court held that the Fifth Amendment right to remain silent is violated only when the information is used against the individual in a criminal case.
Does this sound a bit like the Gitmo waterboarding? Damned right it does.

I thought, and correct me if I am wrong, that there really is no right to remain silent per se.

The 5th amendment says you have the right not to "not be a witness against YOURSELF."

If they are asking about someone else or give you immunity then you have to spill the beans right? (Except spouses I know.)

Tap'n while driving...

kenshin

I thought, and correct me if I am wrong, that there really is no right to remain silent per se.

The 5th amendment says you have the right not to "not be a witness against YOURSELF."

If they are asking about someone else or give you immunity then you have to spill the beans right? (Except spouses I know.)

Tap'n while driving...

To continue derailing this WAY off-topic thread:

What law says you have to have ANY conversation with them? Laws only make things illegal. So unless there's a law that says I'm required to talk with them (LEO, prosecutor, etc.), I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Anonymouse

So encrypt your emails with PGP or other strong encryption. I wouldn't bet on the NSA being unable to crack it forever (or even right now) but you can at least make them work for it...

Using a 2048 of greater key pretty much ensures the NSA won't crack it.

That's not the problem though. They don't have to.

The can compromise you or your target's computer and get the private key. They can measure the em signals from your monitor and replicate it (Tempest). They can just jail or torture you until you provide your encryption key (this is why you have layers of encryption with hidden encryption volumes)

There are much easier ways to get your data than cracking encryption.

Encryption is just a basic step to take. You have to change your behavior.

Tap'n while driving...