• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-Gun Legislator Arrested...For Having Gun at Airport!

Praying Mantis

[video=youtube;NrBFjkxKglI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NrBFjkxKglI[/video]
Trotter, 62, has been a state senator since 1993. Before that, he was a state representative from 1988 to 1993. During his time in the legislature, he has regularly been an anti-gun vote, and has opposed legislation that would allow for concealed carry in Illinois.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...-gun-on-plane/

Last edited:

Logan 5

If I, if we, don't have that right then neither does the old coot.
Tell the commie libtard to go pound sand.

conandan

Just another example of the double standard the leftist have. It's ok for them to own and carry but not Joe citizen. He should face the same charges and punishment any regular citizen would. But will this change his mind on gun control laws, I doubt it.

eye95

If the man is telling the truth, there is no inconsistency between his beliefs and his actions, and his crime was one born of carelessness, not of a sense of privilege.

He apparently has a second job as a security guard. As such he is licensed to carry. He may well believe that only licensed security personnel and LEO should ever carry, and not that his position as a privileged politician allows the carry. Were it the latter, I'd call him a hypocrite. Instead, I'll just call him wrong.

He should be treated the same as any other citizen who inadvertently tried to take a gun through a checkpoint would be. If that has a negative effect on his campaign for Congress, meh. He DID break the law. The only question is whether his actions were criminal, i.e. did he have the intent to break the law, or was it an accident (in which case he would face only civil penalties)?

I see a lot of irony here, but zero hypocrisy.

sudden valley gunner

If the man is telling the truth, there is no inconsistency between his beliefs and his actions, and his crime was one born of carelessness, not of a sense of privilege.

He apparently has a second job as a security guard. As such he is licensed to carry. He may well believe that only licensed security personnel and LEO should ever carry, and not that his position as a privileged politician allows the carry. Were it the latter, I'd call him a hypocrite. Instead, I'll just call him wrong.

He should be treated the same as any other citizen who inadvertently tried to take a gun through a checkpoint would be. If that has a negative effect on his campaign for Congress, meh. He DID break the law. The only question is whether his actions were criminal, i.e. did he have the intent to break the law, or was it an accident (in which case he would face only civil penalties)?

I see a lot of irony here, but zero hypocrisy.

I agree and would take it even further. Under common law not even civil penalties should be awarded, especially since the state wasn't "damaged" in any way.

Contrarian

Trotter,guns and airports.

I can see where someone might forget his weapon in a suitcase or bag and ending up at an airport.
What I will not accept is the statement that he was issued a carry permit for a security guard job and then
carries a .25 ACP mousegun.

"Prosecutors charged an Illinois state senator Wednesday with attempting to board an aircraft with a weapon after they said he tried to carry an unloaded .25 caliber pistol and bullets through security at O’Hare International Airport."

- http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/donne-trotter-arrested-at-airport-for-gun-charge-84657.html

Only a fool would hire a man so equipped, or expect satisfactory defense from such.

A .25 has its place in the world...but not in a security guard application.

conandan

IMHO it was not carelessness to for get his gun was in his suite case. It would be negligence. No matter who you are if you posses a firearm you need to know where it is at all times. There is no excuse for forgetting where you placed your firearm. Having a firearm is a big responsibility and being forgetful with it is dangerous.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
IMHO it was not carelessness to for get his gun was in his suite case. It would be negligence. No matter who you are if you posses a firearm you need to know where it is at all times. There is no excuse for forgetting where you placed your firearm. Having a firearm is a big responsibility and being forgetful with it is dangerous.

This is Truth. Then again this was chicago, the laws do not ally to guys like this.

eye95

Carelessness can be negligence. The two are not mutually exclusive. Negligence is simply carelessness with a consequence for which one will (or, at least, should) be held responsible. He carelessly left his handgun in his carryon. He was negligent to do so.

BTW, it is nice to know that TSA security checkpoints have once again kept us safe from yet another terrorist. What does that bring the count to? Oh, yeah. Zero.

LkWd_Don

~~ snipped ~~ What I will not accept is the statement that he was issued a carry permit for a security guard job and then carries a .25 ACP mousegun.

"Prosecutors charged an Illinois state senator Wednesday with attempting to board an aircraft with a weapon after they said he tried to carry an unloaded .25 caliber pistol and bullets through security at O’Hare International Airport."

- http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/donne-trotter-arrested-at-airport-for-gun-charge-84657.html

Only a fool would hire a man so equipped, or expect satisfactory defense from such.

A .25 has its place in the world...but not in a security guard application.

Not only that, but someone had the forethought to remove the mag from the firearm and if a round had been chambered, removed the chambered round too.

So, was this a case of total dishonesty/deceit or is he trying to convince the whole world that he is so extremely incompetent, that he works as a licensed Armed Security Officer without actually being armed?

:monkey

eye95

Yeah, because that gun couldn't possibly be a backup gun.

It must have been the only firearm he carried on the job because it was the one he inadvertently left in his briefcase.

/sarcasm

If conclusion jumping were an Olympic event, we'd have some world-record holding gold medalists here!

LkWd_Don

LkWd_Don said:
So, was this a case of total dishonesty/deceit or is he trying to convince the whole world that he is so extremely incompetent, that he works as a licensed Armed Security Officer without actually being armed?
Yeah, because that gun couldn't possibly be a backup gun.

It must have been the only firearm he carried on the job because it was the one he inadvertently left in his briefcase.

/sarcasm

If conclusion jumping were an Olympic event, we'd have some world-record holding gold medalists here!

conclusion jumping?

Or was it, attempting to question the only logical conclusions possible, based upon his own lame explanations?

Contrarian

Trotter

If he is going to or from his job as a Senator then he cannot be charged or stopped.

Possibly true - I have no info on that. Thank you.

However, according to this story:

"Trotter told investigators that he worked the late shift for security for Allpoints Security and Detective Inc. the night before and didn’t realize the weapon and bullets were in his bag when he packed for his trip."

-http://www.examiner.com/article/senator-durbin-says-donne-trotter-shouldn-t-get-special-treatment-for-gun-charge?cid=rss

ABC news is investigating the 'job' that the good Senator holds at the security company:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=8912975

IL senator-ships must not pay all that well if you need a second job...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I am sure there are plenty of unarmed security jobs out there if he's all that opposed to guns.

Also, his carry at any time is hypocritical, even if job-related. By carrying a gun, even a job-related gun, he just proved he knows there are dangerous elements loose in society from which people need to protect themselves.

-------------------

An anti-gun legislator is definitely suspect. Anybody who disarms his fellow man has too little decency and regard for his fellows. I wonder whether there is corruption here. A number of Mayors Against Illegal Guns have been busted for corruption.