Thread: Ammo in fires....

Ammo in fires....

Oh the humanity, they destroy over 500,000 rounds in these tests! they shoot it, blow it up, drive over it with a bulldozer, they set it on fire!!!

SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ojthehugemanatee.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	9653

But maybe this will calm some of the hysteria and result in firefighters actually fighting fires whwere they know ammunition is stored.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Re: Ammo in fires....

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

But maybe this will calm some of the hysteria and result in firefighters actually fighting fires whwere they know ammunition is stored.

stay safe.
    Lmao

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Oh the humanity, they destroy over 500,000 rounds in these tests! they shoot it, blow it up, drive over it with a bulldozer, they set it on fire!!!

SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter
    Glad I put in 3/4" drywall .... that will protect me well lol

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    We already do. Ammo that is simply stored will just simply explode and for the most part is no big concern. The casing with travel farther than the bullet itself. Now if it's a chambered round and it discharges due to a fire...different story.

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/169264
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    We already do. Ammo that is simply stored will just simply explode and for the most part is no big concern. The casing with travel farther than the bullet itself. Now if it's a chambered round and it discharges due to a fire...different story.

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/169264
    Myth busters did a story on that a few years back. they put a hand gun in an electric oven and turned it on, I believe the cook off point was around 400 degrees, and yes it went through the side.....

EDIT I still cannot find a video link to the myth busters story but I have narrowed it down to 2007 episode 85...
    Last edited by Sheldon; 12-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Myth busters did a story on that a few years back. they put a hand gun in an electric oven and turned it on, I believe the cook off point was around 400 degrees, and yes it went through the side.....
    I've been on a ton of fires with live ammo in it. You hear a lot of pop,pop but nothing more. When you hear bang, bang then it's time to worry. 400 degrees is mild for a house fire. Most house fire will reach 1200+ degrees at times so it's not unusual for a chambered round to go off.(or stored for that matter)
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

When I was Fire Chief back in the 1980's we had 2 car fires with ammo in them . Each time the owners did not tell us till after the fire.(Thanks a lot) Did some research and found an article in Fire engineering magazine. ( think that was the mag) Anyway. The results of their tests said the only thing to really worry about was the primers coming out the back. They would not penetrate turn out gear but might get some blood if they hit bare skin.

Ammo in fires....

As a Firefighter myself, live ammunition is the least of my worries... Too many other things to be thinking about.