• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will be in Hickory

XRhinoX

I will be in Hickory Saturday and Sunday. My wife has state meets both days, for majority of the day Saturday, I will be waiting to check into our hotel. I was wondering if anyone has had any expierances in Hickory. Looking for places to go that are OC friendly and a Dinner spot for Saturday Night, Sunday evening we will be driving back, but will be free during the day.

J-SiN

there is a big gun show in charlotte tomorrow morning!
fromt what I understand you can bring your firearms in but they zip tie them open

chiefjason

Depending on what you want to eat, there is a pizza place called Momma's over by Home Depot near the intersection of Hwy 70 and Lenoir Rhyne Blvd. Probably the best pizza in Hickory, and the owners are very pro 2a even if they are from NY. lol Great guys, great food; and we generally end up talking guns when I go in OC'ing. I have really not had a bad experience OC'ing around Hickory for the last few years.

XRhinoX

Depending on what you want to eat, there is a pizza place called Momma's over by Home Depot near the intersection of Hwy 70 and Lenoir Rhyne Blvd. Probably the best pizza in Hickory, and the owners are very pro 2a even if they are from NY. lol Great guys, great food; and we generally end up talking guns when I go in OC'ing. I have really not had a bad experience OC'ing around Hickory for the last few years.

Since you mentioned that I have been craving the Pizza, so I think Ill stop by there. Have not left the hotel yet, but have OC'd while in the hotel. Front desk didn't bat a eyelash when I walked up OC to check in, not a single mention. Did over hear a younger kid saying to there parent as they walked out "Look dad he has a gun" couldn't really here what the dad replied but it seemed unconcerned. Plan on using this time to do some Christmas shopping ever go into the mall over here?

chiefjason

Since you mentioned that I have been craving the Pizza, so I think Ill stop by there. Have not left the hotel yet, but have OC'd while in the hotel. Front desk didn't bat a eyelash when I walked up OC to check in, not a single mention. Did over hear a younger kid saying to there parent as they walked out "Look dad he has a gun" couldn't really here what the dad replied but it seemed unconcerned. Plan on using this time to do some Christmas shopping ever go into the mall over here?

This may be too late to help. Sears is fine with OC. The mall has the typical no guns policy in very small print somewhere on the customer code of conduct sign. Basically, I've OC'd in Sears but have not done it in the mall proper. Anchor stores get to set their own rules. HH Gregg and all the stores in the Best Buy/Target shopping center are fine. Walmart is good too. Basically, I've OC'd in most of the stores around the mall with no issues.

XRhinoX

This may be too late to help. Sears is fine with OC. The mall has the typical no guns policy in very small print somewhere on the customer code of conduct sign. Basically, I've OC'd in Sears but have not done it in the mall proper. Anchor stores get to set their own rules. HH Gregg and all the stores in the Best Buy/Target shopping center are fine. Walmart is good too. Basically, I've OC'd in most of the stores around the mall with no issues.

It appears that the pizza place Momma's is closed, Found a different place across from the best buy called Tony's, good food, only issue was after I ate and was leaving I saw a cabinet of beer off to the side behind the counter I had not seen earlier and asked if they serve alcohol, which they do. All the stores over by the target and best buy were welcoming, I had to even stop and ask where to find things in the store and had no concerns. My only issue was in Best Buy, that cashier ringing me out , and I still cant understand why she would say the thing she did, " Don't go and shoot anyone." When I said excuse me she said "Guns scare me, they can just go off" I calmly looked at her and said "Ma'am guns do not just go off, it takes human interaction to cause them to do that." I wasn't going to go any further with it and as I was leaving was deciding to talk to a manager. I didn't want to cause a fuss so I simply left and went to the next store. Now that I think about it I should have asked to talk to a manager, not to get the girl in trouble, but to have him educate his staff that NC is a Open carry state and that we are just like any other customer. Maybe I should start carrying a flyer or two. Target was a good one, as I was looking for my wife's gifts I notice I was being tailed by a uniformed security gaurd. I just acted normal , which I was already doing, and he finally approached, I was thinking "here we go" but I got the simple question "what unit are you with" he had noticed the small Combat Infantry Badge I have embroidered on the back of my hat. Just a couple infantrymen chatting for a while about units and duty stations. I wished him a happy holiday and went on my way. Barnes and Noble was a positive place aswell, I got all the help I needed finding books for my wife, even got pointed to others that my wife might like based on her choses. Did get a couple people that when I moved into the isle they looked at the handgun and beelined for the door. Some people...i guess

chiefjason

It's been a while since we have been to Momma's. Gonna have to swing by and see if it's closed for good. That would be terrible. Best pizza I've ever had.

I was Christmas shopping in Best Buy a few years ago and was working with a sales person to get everything I needed. Probably spent 20-30 minutes with them while OC'ing and never got a word. Barnes and Noble may be the funniest place to OC in Hickory. Never had a problem though. Glad everything went well in our little part of the world.