• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heading to Memphis need advice

Packer fan

I'm heading to Memphis Dec. 11-13th of 2012 any places to avoid and any places that are OC friendly. This will be my first extended OC in Memphis and I was told by a retired Memphis officer to never go there unarmed. I would like to OC but still wondering what I can expect if I do. I live in Arkansas and I hear all kinds of stories from that way. Just would like some advice like good places to eat and such that are OC friendly and what (if any) recording devices I may need.

Thank you

Yes I do have my carry permit.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Just don't walk in Memphis with your feet ten feet off of Beale. :)

[video=youtube;KK5YGWS5H84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK5YGWS5H84[/video]

RedRuger

Memphis

Memphis is said to be the third most dangerous city in the country. This is why Tom Givens relocated there and opened Rangemaster http://www.rangemaster.com in 1996. Since that time more than fifty of his students have had lethal force encounters. All but two of them prevailed. The two that did not prevail DID NOT HAVE THEIR GUNS.

If you like BBQ then you shoudl try Leonard’s Barbeque.

RedRuger

Packer fan

what do you recommend?

I'm all for OC with many different reasons but I'm hesitant to OC in Memphis. Anyone ever have any see a reason to or not to? I ask on this form because I won't get the usual tactical advantage speech. I have a Fobus holster with a Taurus Millennium Pro .40. I can carry concealed almost as easily as open. Another reason I ask is I was in Springfield, Mo in a crowded Burger King (very crowded) and that was the only time I was nervous about a gun grab. I placed my strong side closes to the counter to deter such a move. I don't think anyone really noticed but it was extremely (like big busses came in) crowded.

Maybe I'm letting the. "you'll be a target if..." argument sway my thoughts.

Not sure what hotel I'll be staying at yet but will find out tonight.

Packer fan

OC in Memphis

Well, I didn't hit any good BBQ places, I know it's sacrilege, while in Memphis. I stayed at the Holliday Inn Express just off the Bill Morris Pkwy off of Hacks Cross rd. I only OC as I walked into the hotel the rest of the time I cc carried do to sitting in classes two days. I didn't even OC for supper that night; but as I was leaving for home I fueled my car and was going to grab my OC holster but decided not to because it was in my luggage and didn't want to dig to far. As I walked into the store to receive the change for the fuel, I observed an individual with a thigh holster with a Glock. Being excited at seeing a fellow OCer and with his back to me I said, "I was about to grab my holster too." He laughed never turning to me. I turned to the cashier to grab my change and turned to engage the individual in a conversation when I noticed his badge on his holster. I said, "Oh your an officer. I'm from Arkansas and was going to open carry." He looked at me with a kind smile and said, "not here you can't." Now, I just wanted to go home and not engage in any activity that would hinder me from that task I just turned around and left. I did dig through my luggage for my OC holster just to have it while driving.

Is there many people that OC in Memphis?

tcox4freedom

Born and raised in Memphis. The Rendezvous is over rated in my book. (Goes double for Corky's)

There are WAY better BBQ places in Memphis!

I haven't been there in about 10 years. But, Leonards is usually my first stop; even before I go to my moms. (Best fried catfish you ever ate and the pulled pork sammies are AWESOME. Best lemon pie EVER!!!)

Leonards, Tops, Interstate, Neely's and a whole bunch of other BBQ places are better that the Renezvous or Corky's.

I would NOT recommend OC within the city limits. The MPD is well known for corruption and OC is frowned upon. Don't go ANYWHERE that you aren't familiar with after dark. Even if you know your way around stay, in condition orange & keep your SA sharp at all times! (BGs in Memphis actively look for tourists who seem lost.)

Many of the malls & shopping centers in Memphis have been closed down because of gang activity & violence. So, shopping is not easy at all. My Mom lives in SE Memphis and has to drive over five miles to get groceries because all the stores have been closed. You should be relatively safe in the tourist areas because they are fairly well patrolled. But, when the sun goes down, I would be VERY, VERY CAREFUL.

-

Last edited:

utbob2004

I live in the next county north of memphis but did live in a pretty rough area until may of this year. I didnt see many people open carry but I would openly carry about 50% of the time. I never have downtown because there are a lot of tourist places that are posted and Beale has security and is shut off on most weekend nights. They have a no weapons policy and every resturant on Beale is posted. I did get asked by a MPD officer one time moonlighting as a security guard at Kroger on summer ave to cover up my gun. I did because I really didn't want a confrontation at that time. It is very rare to see a fellow open carrier in Memphis proper but I have seen quite a few in the suburbs that open carry. As for BBQ, i like Central avenue BBQ and the BBQ shop on Madison in midtown. I go to central more because they are not posted. Have fun in Memphis and dont be intimidated by the police here. Most of them will just go about there way and not say anything to you, but be sure to have your CCW handy if they ask ya for it