• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well Jefferson Staters, we have arrived.

Jeff. State

Banned
bilde.jpghttp://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121207/NEWS/212070347

Monstrous truck beefs up fleet

Medford Police Department shows off new, $260,000 SWAT vehicle

By Damian Mann

Mail Tribune

A 50-caliber, full-metal-jacket bullet won't penetrate the thick steel plates on Medford's brand-new, $260,000 SWAT truck that looks like a Humvee on steroids.

Built on a Ford F-550 chassis, the behemoth will offer protection for up to 10 officers, who can sight their targets through the revolving gun turret on the roof or gun portals in the doors and walls.

"We got an early Christmas present," Medford police Chief Tim George said, showing off the truck to city councilors Thursday.

Many councilors tried out the turret, and Councilor John Michaels even joked the truck could be useful in a zombie apocalypse.

The armored truck already got a test spin on Nov. 29 when the SWAT team descended on the 3000 block of Shelterwood Circle, just off Howard Avenue in north Medford.

Police officers arrested Antonio Ledesma Miranda, 29, on charges related to a shooting at a local Mexican restaurant.

George said he anticipates the truck will be called out about 20 times a year to handle situations that could potentially turn violent.

Medford police already have a SWAT command vehicle that will be deployed along with the truck to potential confrontations.

The behemoth was paid for from savings carried over from previous budgets. The department has seen recent savings in equipment repair, fuel and other services that allowed money to be passed along to purchase the truck, George said.

Everything on the new rig is big, including the tires and rims, which would cost $6,700 each to replace. The tires are designed to operate even if they run flat.

The windows on the truck are thicker and just as tough as the half-inch metal plating on the outside.

"This can take multiple hits from a 50-caliber, full-metal-jacket weapon," Sgt. Ben Lytle said.

He said the truck also comes equipped with bulletproof skirts that can be attached along the bottom of the vehicle to protect officers' legs in case of a shoot-out.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbc...o=212070347&Ref=AR&MaxW=570&MaxH=370&border=0

-----------------------------

Sad day in Medford, the official Police State has arrived.:(

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
Anyone in the Medford area want to join a protest of this thing. My family of three is planning on doing so this weekend.

Contrarian

Monster truck

Well, it's......big.

On a financial front, the town must be just a HOTBED of terroristic activity to justify the expense of purchase and maintenance.

I'm sure the city fathers can provide the requisite documentation to support this. :-\

Did this topic never come up in a council meeting sometime?

Jeff. State

Banned
Well, it's......big.

On a financial front, the town must be just a HOTBED of terroristic activity to justify the expense of purchase and maintenance.

I'm sure the city fathers can provide the requisite documentation to support this. :-\

Did this topic never come up in a council meeting sometime?

This seemed to just "appear" with no foreknowledge.

The article says it was funded through "department savings". DHS has been handing out grant money for these left and right to other towns/cities getting them. Wonder why "we" didn't get that.

Deploying these in mainstreet USA points to one thing, War on The People.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipHbhgJaX4

davidmcbeth

Banned
This seemed to just "appear" with no foreknowledge.

The article says it was funded through "department savings". DHS has been handing out grant money for these left and right to other towns/cities getting them. Wonder why "we" didn't get that.

Deploying these in mainstreet USA points to one thing, War on The People.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipHbhgJaX4

DHS, DOJ, DOD grant money and free giveaways have made many local PDs mini-army posts. And believe me, the US Army will use them soon.

hermannr

A very disturbing direction your local PD has gone. For some reason I actually believe you locally paid for this thing...it is called "use or loose it" budgeting. Whether all the funds came from local taxes you can't be sure, but some did..what a waste.

We-the-People

The continued militarization of civilian police. Yes, I know the cops don't think of themselves as civilians.....NEWS FLASH...they ARE.

So, other than incidents in which the police have fired massive amounts of rounds, I can't think of a single incident in which this vehicle would have been necessary. Then again, I can't remember when the last time the MPD needed......NEEDED NOT WANTED...... full auto and/or semi AR/M16 rifles. Last question....when was the last time ANY civillian police agency in the U.S. was fired on by a 50BMG?

They're arming for an insurection, wasting tax dollars doing it, and violating civil rights left and right along the way.

By the way....the chief seems all proud that this wasteful piece of crap can withstand a 50 FMJ....... what about those 50 API and APIT rounds that are so easy to obtain legaly?

Talk about a waste of money. And then Medford folks wonder why their water bill is so high.....cause it's got all those add ons that could have been paid for with the moeny sunk into this symbol of tyranny.