• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can there be a perfect gun bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot623

I say NO!! Even if the legislature was stacked with hard core, George Washington type 2A activists and REPEALED EVERY GUN LAW in Michigan creating the most free state in the union, with Zero Regulation...gun owners, gun carriers, OCers and CCers alike would go bananas. Because there will always be those who believe regulating firearms is necessary, even gun owners!! The others will say "shall not be infringed!". We will always infight because owning a gun doesn't make you part of the Borg collective. So with that said, I'm out before the lock.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

I say NO!! Even if the legislature was stacked with hard core, George Washington type 2A activists and REPEALED EVERY GUN LAW in Michigan creating the most free state in the union, with Zero Regulation...gun owners, gun carriers, OCers and CCers alike would go bananas. Because there will always be those who believe regulating firearms is necessary, even gun owners!! The others will say "shall not be infringed!". We will always infight because owning a gun doesn't make you part of the Borg collective. So with that said, I'm out before the lock.

Lol you have a good point on this one. The Brady Campaign doesn't seem to have this issue.

FreeInAZ

Short of constitutional carry (and even that has flaws) I think you have answered your own question. ;)

scot623

Lol you have a good point on this one. The Brady Campaign doesn't seem to have this issue.

Of course they don't. That org was formed with the single minded goal of erasing guns from the world. Only those that join share the same mentality. They are the Borg. Gun owners come in so many variations, we can never achieve that type of group think. Therefore, infighting.

xmanhockey7

I even remember seeing talks on another forum about a repeal of the GFSZA and someone say they're against it because its an antigun bill. Their reasoning was that it should not have to be repealed in the first place.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

I think that we are sending so many different messages to Lansing that the politicians are perplexed, (not like that's a hard thing to do), so they don't know what we want from them.

A unified voice will always catch their ear. Discord translates to them as ... Do whatever the hell you want. We'll get back to you later:shocker:.

scot623

I think that we are sending so many different messages to Lansing that the politicians are perplexed, (not like that's a hard thing to do), so they don't know what we want from them.

If by "We" you mean gun owners, of course the legislature doesn't know what "We" want. Because to say gun owners as a "We" you may as well say Mac owner or PC owner or iPhone owner. Since when does buying an object(gun) automatically create a single mindset?? It doesn't. It never has. It never will. Gun owners, rightfully so are a disjointed unique group of people who have one cominality...we own a piece of metal that shoots out another piece of metal by using a mini explosion. That's it. So there is no "we".

scot623

^ with posts like that...the countdown to the lock is on. Tick tock, tick tock. How many other threads that have nothing to do with SB-59 will Stilly troll? I set the over/under at "all of them".

scot623

Personal attack me all you want. Until someone posts some proof that SB 59 has these so called changes it's a bunch of hot air in my opinion. I see many things being posted as facts which come from no official source. Lastly, go ahead an support all the anti-open carry legislation you want. I'm sure it will suit MOC well with their dwindling supporters.

What's the name of this thread jackwagon? You're posting your SB 59 drivel in the wrong spot. Move on.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Personal attack me all you want. Until someone posts some proof that SB 59 has these so called changes it's a bunch of hot air in my opinion. I see many things being posted as facts which come from no official source. Lastly, go ahead an support all the anti-open carry legislation you want. I'm sure it will suit MOC well with their dwindling supporters.

Uhm mike you call the kettle black often? You're organization has roughly a dozen members last time I checked. Hell your website has been a work in progress for well over a year now. Let's not throw stones if you live in a glass house aye? You do not like the bill and that's fine. Why not channel your energy into getting a hundred of your supporters to show up in Lansing on the 11th @ 9am at the Anderson building to show the legislators that there is concern over this bill?:confused:

xmanhockey7

Why don't you just read the actual bill?

SpringerXDacp

Short of constitutional carry (and even that has flaws) I think you have answered your own question. ;)

Yup, even the ConCarry states; Alaska, Arizona, Vermont & Wyoming, have restrictions (flaws). And, just as an example, if I remember correctly, in the State of Wyoming, ConCarry only applies to residents of the state.

davidmcbeth

Banned

But how do you really feel ? I agree with the context of what you have said the SB removes OC rights .. and the CC rights "won" can easily be removed later. Just how I see the bill. And creating 2 different classes of carriers is silly and going to get the public confused and would result in arrests just due to confusion.

SpringerXDacp

But how do you really feel ? I agree with the context of what you have said the SB removes OC rights .. and the CC rights "won" can easily be removed later. Just how I see the bill. And creating 2 different classes of carriers is silly and going to get the public confused and would result in arrests just due to confusion.

While there's always a chance that the CC requirement may be removed later, it certainly won't be easy and it definitely wont be any time soon. We've had the CPL (CC on foot or in vehicle) and handgun registration requirement for nearly 90 years (1927) and we're just getting around to a repeal of the registration (HB5225) which will most likely die before the end of the year (session).

xmanhockey7

While there's always a chance that the CC requirement may be removed later, it certainly won't be easy and it definitely wont be any time soon. We've had the CPL (CC on foot or in vehicle) and handgun registration requirement for nearly 90 years (1927) and we're just getting around to a repeal of the registration (HB5225) which will most likely die before the end of the year (session).

I think registration will be gone. But some form of background check will still be required.

MikeTheGreek

You make me sad that we share the same name.

For the love of God man, please shut up.

Haman J.T.

Yes. It's called constitutional carry.What we pretty much had prior to the 68' gun control act!

Haman J.T.

Of course they don't. That org was formed with the single minded goal of erasing guns from the world. Only those that join share the same mentality. They are the Borg. Gun owners come in so many variations, we can never achieve that type of group think. Therefore, infighting.
Don't forget the fact that they only have a couple hundred folks compared to millions of pro-gun group members!

Haman J.T.

What began as a simple exercise in understanding the 'big picture' has deteriorated into a thread full of misinformation.

Fact- under SB59, you will still be able to OC in a PFZ; it simply requires written consent from the owner or agent of the PFZ.

Fact- there never was a law that specifically legalized OC in a PFZ. It was an unanticipated juxtaposition of two laws that created an apparent loophole. This has already been described as ridiculous by a sitting judge. I don't see it as much of a stretch if this position was adopted by more.

Reasonable conjecture- those who would refuse to give written consent are the same ones who would hurl you into the street for OCing under the old loop-hole. Now, they have to post a sign, and make sure you see it.

Fact- this is the most significant piece of human rights legislation to come out of Lansing in a very long time. To get annoyed because it doesn't support your particular view of how EVERYONE else should carry their sidearm is, well, go look in a mirror. How often do OCers get pissy with CCers, and vice versa, for the same reasons? We need to accept that providing more people the legal ability to protect themselves and their loved ones is a good thing.

How will be be able to look at ourselves in a mirror if another madman perpetrates another slaughter of innocents in a PFZ, because we denied people the right to CC in a PFZ? Just because the law didn't go EXACTLY as we think it should?

Shame on you for being selfish and narrow minded, despite the facts
Page 69 (10) of SB59 states "An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol,or who is exempt from licensure under section 12A(1)(h), shall not intentionally display or openly carry a pistol on the premises listed in subsection(1)(A) to (H) unless the individual owns the premises discribed in subsection (1),if the possession of the firearm is to provide security services for the premises or is otherwise in the scope of the individual's official duties,or the individual is acting with the express written consent of the owner of the premises or an agent of the owner of the premises.
(11) An individual who violates this section is responsible for a state civil infraction or guilty of a crime as follows- - - .
This is where the bill specifically makes open carry illegal in GFZ's,where MCL 750.237(a) exempts CPL holders who OC in GFZ's!
I hope this site clears up any confusion on this bill specifically making OC illegal in MCL for the first time in MI history!CARRY ON!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.