• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

minimum oc age in kentucky??????

Matt w

a buddy of mine complimented my hand gun that i have and asked if i carry it i told him that i was 18 or i would. then he told me i could open carry at my age in kentucky but i couldnt find solid proof of that any where. so the question is what is the minimum age to oc a handgun in kentucky?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
that link was great. the way i understood is i can pretty much oc anywhere that a normal person could like public streets, my car, wal mart, ect even tho i am 18 and not under the age?

Yep, just like a "normal person" :lol:..:lol:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
that link was great. the way i understood is i can pretty much oc anywhere that a normal person could like public streets, my car, wal mart, ect even tho i am 18 and not under the age?

Not under the age? The age of 21?

You can own, possess, purchase, transport, carry, etc., firearms in Kentucky at the age of 18 (KRS 237.020).

You CANNOT purchase handguns or handgun ammunition from a Federally licensed dealer (FFL) unless you are 21, and this confuses people. This is a federal law and not a state law.

You can purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition from anyone (other than an FFL) in Kentucky as long as the seller lives in Kentucky and they are legally able to possess the handgun they are going to sell you (KRS 237.020 & 527.110).

You can carry a handgun or other deadly weapon (KRS 500.080) in Kentucky on your person as long as it is visible.

It does not have to be visible if you are in your vehicle and carrying in a factory installed storage compartment (KRS 527.020).

If you are on property that is owned or leased by you or your parents or grandparents then you can carry concealed while on that property, but once you leave that property you must uncover your fireram or other deadly weapon and carry it openly (KRS 527.020).

Places off-limits while openly carrying are Court of Justice courthouses (KRS 447.154), detention facilities (as defined in KRS 520.010) and K-12 schools (KRS 527.070). The Federal-Gun-Free-School-Zone prohibits firearms within 1,000 ft. of any K-12 property, but it is a federal law and not a state law.

A Court of Justice courthouse is an area where district and circuit court facilities are housed and the circuit court clerk. Some county courthouses also house the COJ, which can be confusing. If this is the case, then carry is supposed to be allowed to the public offices, but this is not always how it works.

If you carry a firearm into a "bar" you can only carry it openly and unloaded (KRS 244.125). This only applies to a bar and not a resteraunt (defined in KRS 244.125) that serves alcohol as is stated in the statute.

All cited KRS can be found here: http://lrc.ky.gov/krs/titles.htm

Last edited:

Matt w

you guys are so much help. but id like one more question. when i oc does my fire arm have to be unloaded at all times? and what makes a fire arm considered loaded. cause to me my gun is not loaded unless there is a round in the chamber but ive read that its considered loaded if there are rounds in your mag which is in the gun although there is nothing in the chamber.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
you guys are so much help. but id like one more question. when i oc does my fire arm have to be unloaded at all times? and what makes a fire arm considered loaded. cause to me my gun is not loaded unless there is a round in the chamber but ive read that its considered loaded if there are rounds in your mag which is in the gun although there is nothing in the chamber.

Your firearm can be loaded -- meaning a full magazine with a round in the chamber.

Kentucky does not differentiate between a loaded or unloaded firearm unless it concerns carry in a bar or carry by those under the age of 18.

People love to make up statutes as they speak, or enjoy passing on inaccurate advice someone had told them. Whenever someone tells you something is illegal ask them to tell you the relvant statute that makes the action illegal. Normally they don't even know what a statute is, much less if there is one.

If we were only allowed to carry unloaded in Kentucky there would have to be a statute that says so. There are no statutes.

Unless something is specifically recognized as being illegal (meaning there is a statute that makes an act illegal), then it is a legal act.

Why can you carry your firearm loaded with a round in the chamber? Because it is a right protected by the Kentucky Constitution, and because there is no legislation that makes doing so unlawful or illegal.

Before I received my CDWL I always carried my sidearm loaded and visible on my side, with two spare magazines in a mag holder. I kept an AR-15 or KelTec Sub-2000 in my vehicle with full magazines and an empty chamber. I was raised believing it was mandatory to keep a rifle in your vehicle, and I do so to this day. A handgun is used until we can reach our rifle, so I always keep a rifle as close as I can without looking strange. We can OC a rifle or shotgun just as we can a handgun in Kentucky, but this forum does not condone the act, nor do I believe it is good community relations. I do believe it is wise to keep one in your vehicle, but that is just me -- I'm an old country boy at heart.

Last edited:

Matt w

im glad i know i can lawfully carry now. and i do daily since ive found this out. but what should i do if i am ever stopped by an officer of the law. what should i tell him that protects me and my rights opposed to letting him take advantage of me and losing my gun and getting into legal trouble.

self preservation

im glad i know i can lawfully carry now. and i do daily since ive found this out. but what should i do if i am ever stopped by an officer of the law. what should i tell him that protects me and my rights opposed to letting him take advantage of me and losing my gun and getting into legal trouble.

Read, read and then read some more on your rights. It's a cheesy video but check out http://www.flexyourrights.org/. (go to youtube to watch these, it's free there) Other than that read stories other members have shared. And burn up the ole youtube with searches such as "handling police encounters". "OC run in with police"...You get the idea.

One phrase that we try to beat into each others heads when dealing with a police encounter is "Am I being detained or am I free to go?" Be prepared to spend hours upon hours studying and researching. But trust me, it will be time well spent.

Last edited:

self preservation

"Am I being detained?"
If No: Walk away

"License please"
Just give it to them, many people don't want to or fight with them, but I have and they just look at it and walk on their way.
"May I take and unload your firearm?"
No you may not.

If they claim you are being detained when you have done nothing wrong and go to remove your Firearm, inform them repeatedly that you do not consent to the removal of your Firearm. (but DO NOT physically fight with them)

"You cannot Open Carry"
Can you please cite me with KRS that prevents me from Openly Carrying my firearm?

"You cannot own a handgun"
Can you please cite me with the KRS that prevents me from owning a handgun?

Just know KRS 527.100

That's just about all I can think of, they may ask you why your carrying or such, just tell them it's your right to.

Also, carry a recorder.

Might as well give up the rest of your rights too. You're a big boy and are free to do as you wish. But I do remember a web site that I use to go to all the time that said "A right unexercised is a right lost." I just can't remember what website that I read that AWESOME advice was.

Last edited:

self preservation

I'm 18 and look young to some, underage carrying is a RAS. I agree a right exercised is a right lost, but simply put being why do I not want to give them ID? What are they going to do with it? Follow me home? Break into my house? They just want to know who I am and I'm okay with them knowing that I'm not a criminal and do not have a warrant out for my arrest. This is simply my opinion on the subject, you do not have to give ID if you do not wish unless you are being detained.

I'm 18 and look young to some, underage carrying is a RAS.

Underage carrying is a crime*. The fact that you may look underage would be the RAS. At this point in your life I could maybe see going ahead and producing ID. But you gave this advice to another young OC'er, and to my knowledge we have no idea if he looks like he is 12 or if he looks like he is 55. What works best for you may not for him.

I agree a right exercised is a right lost

I know what you meant. :lol:

but simply put being why do I not want to give them ID?

Views on this vary quite a bit. You seem to have no problem with it and that's fine. Me on the other hand, I love all of my rights and am not willing to give up a single one of them. Even the ones that seem like they are no big deal. One problem with this is "Officer Friendly" ask for your ID and you produce it with no questions ask. Then 30 minutes later "Officer Friendly" ask for my ID and I refuse. Now I'm going to have the ever living hell harassed out of me because Officer Friendly is use to getting his way. The standard has been set.

What are they going to do with it? Follow me home? Break into my house?

I believe that for the most part LEO asking for ID is just a knee jerk reaction. I wonder if half the time if they even really pay attention to the info on your ID. So no, they are probably not going to kick in your door or stalk you. I know for a fact that they won't do that to me because I won't let them know where I live unless they get my info illegally. Producing your ID may be "easier" but it's not our job to make their job easier.

They just want to know who I am and I'm okay with them knowing that I'm not a criminal and do not have a warrant out for my arrest.

I'm not. It's none of their damn business who I am, where I've coming from or where I'm going. I don't care who they are. They can mind their own business like I was doing. But I bet a thousand bucks to a glazed doughnut that if I ask for their ID and started asking them questions they wouldn't answer them. Why should I? You mention them checking for a warrant on you?? They are not going to know if you have a warrant by simply looking at your ID. Checking for a warrant requires your personal information to be "ran through the system." Guess what?? Them doing that is just that much more intrusion into your personal life "just because"...but you gave them permission to do it.

This is simply my opinion on the subject

And my listed responses are simply my opinion. Isn't it great to live in a country that we are not killed for having an opinion (not yet at least:eek:) So please don't take offense to them.

you do not have to give ID if you do not wish unless you are being detained.

Cite please. Keep in mind that being detained is defined by a person that has a reasonable belief that they can not leave on their own free will. LEO pulling his car in front of your car and not letting you pull out of a parking lot even after telling you that you are free to go is detainment. Even in this scenario you not required to produce ID. If you are arrested you still do not have to produce ID. I believe verbally giving your name is all that is required. Some people don't have an ID, period. So if the law doesn't force you to have an ID how can it force you to produce one? The only time that I know of that you are required to produce an ID is if you are doing something that requires a license (driving) or a permit (concealing a deadly weapon).

*unless you fall under the few exceptions listed in KRS 527.100
** All of my listed opinions are assuming that a LAC that has not committed a crime, is not committing a crime or is not about to commit a crime is being harassed by LEO just because "they can."

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I'm 18 and look young to some, underage carrying is a RAS. I agree a right exercised is a right lost, but simply put being why do I not want to give them ID? What are they going to do with it? Follow me home? Break into my house? They just want to know who I am and I'm okay with them knowing that I'm not a criminal and do not have a warrant out for my arrest. This is simply my opinion on the subject, you do not have to give ID if you do not wish unless you are being detained.

Nearly every interaction an officer has with a "subject" is documented in what are called "field contact reports." If you are handing your license over everytime you are asked to do so, then you are "possibly" being documented as someone who walks around armed. Now I'm not going to go into detail here, but this COULD cause issues for you, as can be witnessed all across this country.

Plenty of officers use such information to develop unlawful investigations and other illegal and unconstitutional acts. There are officers out there that despise our right to carry a firearm and that believe THEY are the LAW. If you upset them, they hold a grudge. I am not bashing police officers, but there are those around that will use their abilities to violate the law and our constitutional rights.

I do NOT hand over my license for anyone unless I am required by law, and if I am out of my vehicle my license is not on my person.

I understand your concern for looking like you are under the age of 18, but I don't think I would worry much about it.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Think about it this way, I know of exactly three "James Isaac"s and I have tried to find none of them (two of them are relatives). I could probably find plenty more.

So their are FOUR of us around close in Kentucky. If anyone of them is a restricted person then I could end up spending the night in jail before I have it sorted out. I lose my private property for some time or never get it back at all and I lose a lot of privacy. All because I didn't feel I should exercise my rights.

Do you know how the government usually takes things from you? Slowly. Fight for your rights always, even if it is a "little battle".