• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mailing pistol parts without serial numbers and trying to be legal

pat

Mailing pistol parts
Little help here. The way I understand USPS (post office) rules I can’t mail any pistol (complete) or any firearm part that contains a serial number. But I can mail pistol parts as long enough the parts that I do ship do not have serial numbers. Is this correct? I’ll be mailing parts to myself and not a transfer of ownership.

(side note) This is somewhat of a follow up to my posting

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ing-pistol-in-storage-and-in-bank-with-pistol

which to thank everybody that posted. My “friend” is resting peacefully in his new home, a safe deposit box (not safety deposit box) and is not coming with us in our RV travels. It was a non event putting him in his resting place. Brought him in a paper bag along with other papers and locked him up. Bank lady signed us and the open door, she left and I just put away. My “friend” is large not many moving parts and only holds 6 bullets. (Here is where my question comes in) My thinking is that our new friend will have many more parts and carry more than 6 bullets with a magazine clip. Then to get around the bases and states that are a pain, I’ll mail several parts that don’t have any serial numbers to myself “general delivery”. I would be left with a in-operable pistol which is not a "pistol" capable of using, so how could they complain about carrying any "firearms"? I won't have a complete fire arm and it can't fire any projectiles. This is the only way I could think of to get arond some of these crazy laws that everybody seems to be coming out with. I don’t think I'll be breaking any rules doing this. But if you think I am please tell me. My reason for doing all this is when we were involved in a very minor fender bender, we were rear ended at a toll booth in Indiana. Didn't really know where I stood and that is not a good feeling. I'm not a criminal and wouldn't make a very good one.

kenshin

Don't know if there's a reason that you HAVE to use USPS, but if you don't then just send via fedex or UPS. You can ship the firearm complete (no ammo) with no additional paper work or worries. I just sent one of my pistols into the factory for repair via fedex without any issues.

spikedzombies

I think whatever the atf considers the actual weapon, like a Glock frame/lower is the weapon but not an upper/slide just like a stripped ar receiver

Any parts regulated by federal law under the atf is a big nono unless shipping to a registered ffl

"Sent Via Time Traveling Blue Police Box"

Last edited:

Phoenix David

amlevin

So what information in your link shows the statement to be incorrect?

Many gun parts are shipped every day via USPS. The only part of the firearm that is considered, for FFL transfer requirements, is the serial numbered portion. That is almost always the frame or lower receiver. Yes, some manufacturers also put either a duplicate of the serial number or a portion of the number on other parts like a slide, bolt, or parts that are part of a matched assembly but the only "Official Serial Number is the one on the main piece, the frame/lower.

A good example is an AR-15 kit like those available from Del-ton. Every part to build an AR-15 EXCEPT the loser receiver is capable of being sent via USPS, FEDEX, UPS, all without having to go through an FFL transfer.

Two exceptions to shipping a complete firearm without having to go through an FFL transfer are:

You own the firearm and are sending it to an FFL like the Manufacturer for warranty work or a Gunsmith for repair. They can then send it back to you (the owner) without having to send it to an FFL.

You can also send it to yourself, care of a third party. There is a restriction on this method as ONLY the owner of the firearm can open the package. This is a provision so one can send a firearm ahead for a "hunt" or "competition".

Last edited:

TheGunMan

Your awnser

You cannot ship a firearm frame/lower via USPS unless you are a FFL and have turned in the paperwork to the USPO.
There is piece of paper you must fillout and give them a copy of your FFL once per year. As far as parts go, I know of no reason you cant send parts.
If you can buy the part without a FFL then anyone can ship. This info is on thier site if you want to look it up.

I am an FFL holder and this is what I had to do to use them. (Legally)

As far as using UPS/Fed-Ex, as in a earlier post, they are much easier and do not require extra paperwork.
As an FFL I use them instead of USPO.

C024 Other Restricted or Nonmailable Matter

1.6Certificate of Manufacturers and Dealers

A licensed manufacturer or dealer need not file the affidavit under 1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms, that the parcels containing handguns (or major component parts thereof) are customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of his or her knowledge or belief the addressees are licensed manufacturers or dealers of firearms.

Last edited:

MKEgal

I googled ["US postal service" how do I ship a firearm] and found the actual USPS page containing their exact regulations.
Here it is.
Pistols can only go through USPS if they're sent by an FFL or a manufacturer.
Ammunition is not allowed via USPS. Period.
A "firearm" is only the receiver. So parts can be shipped by anyone, using any service.
Gunbroker.com has a page about shipping.

spikedzombies said:
Any parts regulated by federal law under the atf is a big nono unless shipping to a registered ffl
Phoenix David said:
amlevin said:
So what information in your link shows the statement to be incorrect?
Question #6, on pg. 4:
BATFE said:
6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

amlevin said:
Two exceptions to shipping a complete firearm without having to go through an FFL transfer...
Neither one can go through USPS though, unless you're shipping a long gun.

TheGunMan said:
You cannot ship a firearm frame/lower via USPS unless you are a FFL and have turned in the paperwork to the USPO.
Not true.
A normal citizen may not ship a handgun (or short-barreled anything) via USPS.
That citizen may, however, ship a long gun.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I googled ["US postal service" how do I ship a firearm] and found the actual USPS page containing their exact regulations.
Here it is.
Pistols can only go through USPS if they're sent by an FFL or a manufacturer.
A normal citizen may not ship a handgun (or short-barreled anything) via USPS.
That citizen may, however, ship a long gun.

Seems like you say yes and no in the same post,,,,

hermannr

You also need to be careful when you say "the" serial numbered parts can't be shipped.

There are a lot of "parts" that are not considered firearms by USPS or the ATF. Consider my CZ85. SN on the frame matches the SN on the slide (a part that can be removed from the frame) which matches the SN on the Barrel, (a part that can be easily removed from the frame) which also matches the SN on the Frame.

I have other pistols and long guns where all of the SNs do NOT match, and I have several barrels that do not have SNs at all, and a couple complete rifles that do not have SNs at all...and in any and all cases, only the SN on the frame counts when it comes to "what SN is that weapon?"

(SN's were not required prior to 1968)

1245A Defender

well,,,

Serial numbers or lack of serial numbers has absolutely nothing to do with it. A barrel can have a serial number on it and be sent by USPS by/to anyone. A frame or receiver for a handgun might have no serial number at all and it would be prohibited for a non-FFL to mail it via USPS.

what he said is right...
the batfe only cares about the "frame, whether numbered or not",,, any and all other parts, whether numbered or not, dont matter...
the batfe is only concerened with "frames" that are changing ownership"!
the usps cannot ship pistols for non-FFLs,,, period...
UPS and FEDX can ship frames and pistols for anyone..
use the right shipper to ship a frame or a whole pistol,,, to yourself,,, care of your folks/friend/hotel/neighbor,,, but
advise that the package is only to be opened by YOU!
the gun does not change ownership,,, tell the shipper the package contains "machine parts",,
id take the gun apart and wrap the pieces carefully, and id throw in some nuts and bolts so it rattles.
this does not break the law... IMNAL

1245A Defender

Oh OH ,,,,

If the firearm is being shipped out of state, to a non-FFL (even the same owner, if that person is not an FFL), it certainly DOES violate Federal law to not disclose the REAL contents of the package:

and I would expect that intentional actions taken to deceive the shipper would increase the chances of a guilty verdict.

thank you for this important legal update Navylcdr,,,, I didnt know that,,
I guess you just go ahead and tell your shipper,,, its a gun,,, then you would be legal,,, IANAL...

davidmcbeth

Banned
thank you for this important legal update Navylcdr,,,, I didnt know that,,
I guess you just go ahead and tell your shipper,,, its a gun,,, then you would be legal,,, IANAL...

I have shipped many handguns in the mail (legally). Most postmasters don't know the Domestic Mail Manual's provisions regarding the shipment of handguns. They will tell anyone trying to ship "you cannot ship this".

They have in all my cases of shipping. I always bring the DMM sections regarding this and say "look, yes you do". And then he'll scratch his head, maybe pull out his hard copy, and then say "OK, I guess we can under these circumstances".

So the OP should download the DMM and bring printed pages with him to the post office with the package IF he meets the requirements for a proper shipment.

Everyone should have a copy of the DMM.

bmg50cal

If the firearm is being shipped out of state, to a non-FFL (even the same owner, if that person is not an FFL), it certainly DOES violate Federal law to not disclose the REAL contents of the package:

Or...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

sirpuma

I have shipped many handguns in the mail (legally). Most postmasters don't know the Domestic Mail Manual's provisions regarding the shipment of handguns. They will tell anyone trying to ship "you cannot ship this".

They have in all my cases of shipping. I always bring the DMM sections regarding this and say "look, yes you do". And then he'll scratch his head, maybe pull out his hard copy, and then say "OK, I guess we can under these circumstances".

So the OP should download the DMM and bring printed pages with him to the post office with the package IF he meets the requirements for a proper shipment.

Everyone should have a copy of the DMM.

What, you mean this? http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Postal Explorer > Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail > 4 Restricted Matter > 43 Firearms > 432 Mailability

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.
Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.
Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.

They do have an error in this page and it should read DMM601.12.1 not 601.11.1 as 11.1 deals with tobacco.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm

12.1 Firearms
12.1.1 Definitions

[1-22-12] The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

a. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include antique firearms (except antique firearms described under 12.1.1c and 12.1.1d).

b. Firearm frame or receiver is the part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

c. Handgun (including pistols and revolvers) means any firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand and subject to 12.1.1a, or a combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled.

d. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels that are less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.

f. Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms means a manufacturer, dealer, or importer duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) under Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.).

g. Curio and relic collector means an individual licensed by ATF to transfer or receive only those firearms defined as curios or relics by ATF under Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 478.11.

h. Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shotgun/pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

i. Air gun means a gun that fires a projectile by means of compressed air or other gas (including paintball and pellet guns).

12.1.2 Handguns

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6, and are subject to the following:

a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1h.

b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.

c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signature service under 503.9.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.

12.1.3 Authorized Persons

Subject to 12.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.

f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.

g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 12.1.3c. through 12.1.3e.

So, David, per federal law and postal code you are violating the law if you are not one of the select few who can legally ship a handgun, period. There is nothing in the law or code that permits regular civilians to ship anything other than long guns. While receivers/frames and SBR/SBS are only specifically listed in the definitions, the term "or other firearms capable of being concealed" can cover those. The ATF considers a frame or receiver as a firearm and are listed on the 4473 as "other". Antique firearms are permitted and C&R firearms (with some major stipulations).

Last edited:

sirpuma

The only option available to ship/mail ANY firearm to yourself in another state without violating Federal Regulations or UPS/FEDEX company policy to to mail a rifle or shotgun only via US Post Office unless you hold an FFL. Shipping a handgun to an FFL in the state you are traveling to is not an option (unless you are a resident of the destination state) because the receiving FFL can only transfer handguns to residents of their own state.

Or if you are shipping to a gunsmith who will then return ship.