• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I guess they want to to yell for them .. airline employees complaints of us

davidmcbeth

Banned
The top most hated passenger habits include:

1. Clicking their fingers to get a flight attendant’s attention
2. Trying to exit the plane before the pilot gives the signal
3. Stuffing too much in the overhead compartment
4. Complaining about the lack of space in the overhead compartment
5. Talking through the safety demonstration.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mon...ipe-about-passengers-20121207,0,3576641.story

Some woman wrote a book on this subject? Talk about venting....get a life honey.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yea, I mean everyone has gripes about their job. It's just part of being a working man/woman. Sometimes you just have to smile and nod your head. I mean I work in customer service. My top three gripes would be:

1) Customers who insist that they know more about your job or an item than you do.

2) Customers who pick stuff up to buy and then change their minds and leave it someplace random (or their trash for that matter).

3) Customers who are rude and talk on their phone while you check them out and then get annoyed when you have to ask a question.

Ca Patriot

One thing I have learned after 20 years is the customer is NOT always right. In fact, they are usually wrong.

eye95

What is meant by, "The customer is always right," is, "Stop treating customers as if they are wrong, even when they are." There are simply more effective ways to deal with customers. After decades of dealing with morons in various "customer service" settings, I now find myself on the other side of the counter, where I strive not to be "the moron in Customer Service." Even though I was probably one of the toughest customers a CSR had to deal with, I am one of the best CSRs around. Maybe I should have said, "because," instead of, "even though." Every time I find myself acting as a CSR, I place myself in the customer's situation and recall what it was like the last time I had a similar complaint. Note, I said, "recall," not, "empathize." Recall is real; empathy is feigned. That helps me understand what will actually correct the situation in the customer's eyes.

Customer service, like real estate, has three rules. They are:

1. Listen.
2. Listen.
3. Listen.

OK, some more specific rules (but you'll notice that they are all based on those three rules above).

I tell my associates to follow the 80/20 rule. Spend 80% of the time listening to the customer. Only spend 20% of the time with your gums flapping. You can't solve problems until you know what they are. The guy in front of you knows; you don't.

Acknowledge what he is saying. Repeat it if necessary so that he knows that you heard and understand what he is saying. "So the item rung up as $25, but the sign says $20?"

DO NOT apologize!! "I'm sorry" is almost always followed by "but..." That stinks, and nobody likes a stinky but. Instead, say something proactive like, "Let's see what we can do about that."

The customer may not always be right about everything they are saying, but there is some grain of error on your organization's (or possibly even your own) part. Listen for it. You can help by acknowledging it and possibly correcting it.

Focus on fixing things. No explanations. No mentions of internal policies or procedures. No jargon. The customer is looking for a fix. You may not be able or allowed to give him the fix he wants, but there is some fix you can do.

Never say, "no," or, "can't." If you have to refuse, propose an alternative instead. "I can..." "How about if I..." "That's something that __________ might be able to help you with. Let me call her over."

Don't externalize; internalize. You can't control anything external to you. You can only control your response. If you focus on the external things you can do nothing about, including customer behaving badly, you will accomplish nothing. If you focus on what you are doing and can do, you will find something you can do to improve the situation. (This one is actually a fundamental rule of being successful at anything: Stop blaming that which is out of your control, and look to what is within your power to increase the possibility of a positive outcome. Welfare queens violate this rule as a lifestyle. Profitable businesses live by it.)

This one may sound like the opposite of the above, but it isn't: Don't take it personal. The customer is often angry. He may try to make you feel sick inside too. So he might say some ugly things to you. As long as he does nothing illegal or violent, take it. Be the bigger person. If he is ranting and you continue to act rationally and toward solutions, he will start to feel self-conscious about his bad behavior, and it will subside. Asking him to calm down or not to use that language or telling him that he is upsetting the other customers will only aggravate him and increase the behavior. This rule is similar to the one above in that you cannot control his behavior, only yours. However, if you control your behavior, you will influence his almost all of the time.

This stuff works, and it is what comes to mind when someone oversimplifies by saying, "The customer is always right." If one must simplify all the rules of good customer service into one, this one would be best: "Listen."

Last edited:

()pen(arry

(The following responses are addressed to the notional person who thinks the quoted author's complaints are invalid.)

1. Clicking their fingers to get a flight attendant’s attention
It's rude and demeaning. They aren't your serfs. Be patient. You aren't special, and you aren't dying, so you can wait until they get a moment to give you peanuts.
2. Trying to exit the plane before the pilot gives the signal
Seriously, I don't understand how those Pavlovian imbeciles who unlatch their seat belts and jump out of their seats the instant the plane stops rolling find food from day to day. Dear Dumbass, You won't get off the plane an instant sooner by being an impatient ****** and shoving your obese ass into my face.
3. Stuffing too much in the overhead compartment
The rule is so trivially simple: one carry-on of a specific maximum size, and one personal item. If you can't follow the rule, gtfo.
4. Complaining about the lack of space in the overhead compartment
Thanks to the dickholes who can't follow the previously-cited rule, this is a genuine complaint, but it's not remotely worth complaining about. There's not a damn thing flight attendants can do about dickholes.
5. Talking through the safety demonstration.
Seriously, take a five minute break from being a narcissistic sack and ****. No one gives two ***** about the crap you're pouring out of your mouth anyway. The kind of idiot who can't keep their mouth shut during a safety demo is the kind of idiot who doesn't know what to do in an emergency, and whose inevitable panicky idiocy will end up costing lives.

Some woman wrote a book on this subject? Talk about venting....get a life honey.
You are a thoroughly disagreeable person.

Freedom1Man

* snip*

This stuff works, and it is what comes to mind when someone oversimplifies by saying, "The customer is always right." If one must simplify all the rules of good customer service into one, this one would be best: "Listen."

That whole thing made sense and I agreed with it. I am in shock.

davidmcbeth

Banned
(The following responses are addressed to the notional person who thinks the quoted author's complaints are invalid.)

Ha! Be quite .. the lady is talking about the safety procedures we have all heard 10,000x -- quite! .... Here's my version: if plane has a major problem, you are going to die .... its too late to get off either !

Wait for the peanuts? What, like 1 hr ?

Yeah, I work for them ..

I don't snap my fingers; I clap and say "chop chop!" lol

I have seen very rude people (drunks) on planes but it is very infrequent....this author is making mountains outta molehills .. for what purpose? $$$$$$$$$ selling books.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

It's rude and demeaning. They aren't your serfs. Be patient. You aren't special, and you aren't dying, so you can wait until they get a moment to give you peanuts.

Seriously, I don't understand how those Pavlovian imbeciles who unlatch their seat belts and jump out of their seats the instant the plane stops rolling find food from day to day. Dear Dumbass, You won't get off the plane an instant sooner by being an impatient ****** and shoving your obese ass into my face.

The rule is so trivially simple: one carry-on of a specific maximum size, and one personal item. If you can't follow the rule, gtfo.

Thanks to the dickholes who can't follow the previously-cited rule, this is a genuine complaint, but it's not remotely worth complaining about. There's not a damn thing flight attendants can do about dickholes.

Seriously, take a five minute break from being a narcissistic sack and ****. No one gives two ***** about the crap you're pouring out of your mouth anyway. The kind of idiot who can't keep their mouth shut during a safety demo is the kind of idiot who doesn't know what to do in an emergency, and whose inevitable panicky idiocy will end up costing lives.

After these people have been molested and deprived of their dignity by the wonderful TSA they need someone to vent on! How would you feel if your daughter was legally raped five minutes before you boarded the plane?

Freedom1Man

After these people have been molested and deprived of their dignity by the wonderful TSA they need someone to vent on! How would you feel if your daughter was legally raped five minutes before you boarded the plane?

Well, people should stop flying then. When people stop flying the TSA will move on to other forms of travel to molest children and other travelers. The airline servers will no longer have a job at that point and thus will no longer have anything to complain about.

I see it this way, by flying you're asking to be molested by the TSA, so when you get molested by the TSA you have no room to complain. It's like crossing that field with the sign that says, "You are free to cross if you can do in 9 seconds because the bull can do it in 9.3 seconds," and then you complain when you get chased or gorged by the bull. You may fly so long as you don't mind being molested, having your bags rummaged through, and being crammed into a flying sardine can. Since you know that being molested is a condition of flying then, either quit flying (I personal favorite) or quit bitching about being molested.