• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silly question about bathroom use while carrying?

workinhd

I feel strange enough using the stall in a public bathroom. What do you guys do when you have a gun on your hip, which would practically be on the floor when taking care of business? I would be worried some one would see me handling it to get it off the floor. Do you stick to the handicap stall? These are the things I think about while carrying. I never try to touch my gun once it is on my hip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MKEgal

Welcome OCDO.
You may find the Cornered Cat website helpful with this question, specifically the "embarrassing questions department" article.
Actually, her site is pretty useful overall. Specifically geared toward women, but useful for pretty much anyone who's willing to learn.
And you could use the search function here to find other threads on the topic you're interested in.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome OCDO.
You may find the Cornered Cat website helpful with this question, specifically the "embarrassing questions department" article.
Actually, her site is pretty useful overall. Specifically geared toward women, but useful for pretty much anyone who's willing to learn.
And you could use the search function here to find other threads on the topic you're interested in.

restroom+gun+Theo+Romeo%253AUCD+Advocate.jpg

4455336566_9f4dffd76b.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When unavoidably forced to use a public restroom stall, place hand gun in crotch of trousers. The gun will be hidden by your pants, very accessible if needed and you will not forget it, I promise you. :uhoh:

I will never set my gun on top of a commode tank or tissue dispenser.

31sb1kLtRZL.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Admittedly there is less chance of something going bang when you did not want it to if you keep your handgun in the holster. We all know and understand that.

We also know and understand that keeping your britches up around your knees and "folded over" so the holster is at crotch level means you have violated Rule #2 beause the muzzle is going to point at something you do not want to shoot - either on you or on somebody else.

A few hints from life experience when it became necessary/desirable to administratively remove the handgun from the holster:

- hope for a commode with a tank that you can lay the handgun on top of. Yes, it's going to point somewhere but do the best you can.

- some (strong emphasis on some but not all) of the industrial TP roll holders - usually the 2-roll holders but some single-roll holders - have a sufficiently flat top surface. Best to check it out for a few seconds, and then keep your attention there just in case gravity begins to overcome friction. And yes, I do know that grabbing for a falling gun is more likely to result in it firing than if you let it fall. As I said, it's a trade-off.

- have the person providing overwatch hold it for you. (What, you do not have anyone providing overwatch? Don't you know you are most likely to be mugged in a public restroom than anywhere else (except a whole lot of other places)?)

Please remember that there is a major difference between controlling your handgun and Ann Landers' advice on birth control. While you may want to keep an aspirin tablet firmly between your knees, doing so with a handgun is not the best idea.

And finally - like any other skill, this one needs to be practiced before trying to execute "for real". Practice at home with an unloaded handgun.

stay safe.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Oh the hugh manatie of this all...
dont you all have any sense anymore????

Always carry a small roll of ductape with you wherever you go,,,just like your recorders,, yes????
When you get in the stall,,, simply ductape your gun to your forehead!!!
easy peasy...

Get A CLUE People!!!

workinhd

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to remove it from the holster and place it in my pants. I have done that before with less lethal items like walkies and cellphones. :lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I don't worry about it being seen while I'm in a stall (I am OPEN carrying, right?) ... I've found if I take the loose, non-buckle end of the belt and loop it in front of the belt, through the first belt loop on the right, the belt will hold the holster and gun in place. Then you can decide, in fact, how far to drop the waist of your britches.

eye95

Wear a shoulder holster. If you have to take that off to use the facilities, you have bigger problems than I can address. ;)

WalkingWolf

Just one more reason to wear the belt outside the belt loops. Just take the belt off, then the gun is not handled, depending on the stall there may be several options. The belt and holstered gun can always be worn on the shoulder if no other places are available to put the rig.

DCKilla

I hate using the smaller stalls to do my business armed. Using the wheelchair accessible stalls keeps my paranoia down to a minimum. I usually keep my pistol and holster attached at all times.

hogeaterf6

I wear a paddle holster so I take it off and lay it on the tp dispenser or wedge it between the stall and the OS bar. Once seated, it goes in my hands.