• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applying for my CCW License

SixGunCowboy

Is there any time period between the completion of the training to the time that I apply for a license for CCW? Is there a deadline?

xdmcompact

Is there any time period between the completion of the training to the time that I apply for a license for CCW? Is there a deadline?

I think you may have 30 days, you may want to either contact your instructor or your sheriff. I know you have thirty days to pick up your license once it is done at the sheriff's office. You are given 7 days to take it to the license bureau once you pick it up from the sheriffs office.

I guess I should add, this is how it is in St. Louis City!

Last edited:

mspgunner

I think you may have 30 days, you may want to either contact your instructor or your sheriff. I know you have thirty days to pick up your license once it is done at the sheriff's office. You are given 7 days to take it to the license bureau once you pick it up from the sheriffs office.

I guess I should add, this is how it is in St. Louis City!

I do believe it is much longer, not sure, it is best tocheck with your or another instructor. You pick up the document from your Sheriff's office to take to the "license office" to pick up your endorsement. Also you have a choice of having this on your driver's permit (NOT A GOOD CHOICE) or on a "State I.D." (Better choice). Realteach here and on MSSA knows all of this stuff as do many other instructors.

As a matter of point, the CCW in Missouri is not a "license" it is an "endorsement". Some States of "CCL", conceal carry license.

xdmcompact

I do believe it is much longer, not sure, it is best tocheck with your or another instructor. You pick up the document from your Sheriff's office to take to the "license office" to pick up your endorsement. Also you have a choice of having this on your driver's permit (NOT A GOOD CHOICE) or on a "State I.D." (Better choice). Realteach here and on MSSA knows all of this stuff as do many other instructors.

As a matter of point, the CCW in Missouri is not a "license" it is an "endorsement". Some States of "CCL", conceal carry license.

I just looked thru my folder from getting my CCW, it says thirty days to pick up from the sheriffs office and seven days to take to license bureau.I am not sure the time limit on the certification, that you would need to ask your instructor. I have had mine going on 6 years now, so kind of hard to remember exactly what the time frame was or if it has changed since then. I know the day I got mine I went straight to the sheriffs office, received my notice to pick it up 13 days later, picked it up and went straight to the license bureau.

mspgunner

I just looked thru my folder from getting my CCW, it says thirty days to pick up from the sheriffs office and seven days to take to license bureau.I am not sure the time limit on the certification, that you would need to ask your instructor. I have had mine going on 6 years now, so kind of hard to remember exactly what the time frame was or if it has changed since then. I know the day I got mine I went straight to the sheriffs office, received my notice to pick it up 13 days later, picked it up and went straight to the license bureau.

The pick up time sounds right, and most just go with their document from the Sheriff's Office to the license office. The fee at th elicense office is minimal, you already paid the instructor and sheriff, that's where the bigger bucks are. Not 100% sure of the entire question but you have a considerable amout of time from the completion of the training to the application process with the Sheriff's Office, but I'm not sure how long your training certificate is till you have to apply at the Sheriff's Office. I've heard different things on this from different people. I got my CCW a long long time ago and just did it all boom bang as fast as possible.

Does the training certificate ever expire? I have known people that have taken the course from an instructor then apply for their CCW permit a year later. Training certificate was accepted and permit issued.

Redbaron007

At least for now, they are good indefinitely. Even certificates that were issued prior to August 2011 when the training requirements change that took place, have been "grandfathered" in as per 571.111.1(7) that took effect this August.

They are good indefinitely. I believe originally, it was only good for two years, but as of right now....there is no time limit. you can take it now....then use it 5 years from now. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a sheriff contends your currency.

attrapereves

I'm still thinking about getting my Missouri CCW endorsement. I already have permits from Florida and Arizona, so I don't see the need at the current moment. I suppose my main reasons for avoiding the MO endorsement are: not sure if I will stay in MO after school, cost of training and permit fee, revolver shooting (don't own one and don't plan on ever carrying one), ridiculous ammo requirement, and it's only valid for 3 years but costs almost as much as a Florida 7-year permit. The positive is that it's valid almost everywhere and it's good to have a permit in your resident state.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I'm still thinking about getting my Missouri CCW endorsement. I already have permits from Florida and Arizona, so I don't see the need at the current moment. I suppose my main reasons for avoiding the MO endorsement are: not sure if I will stay in MO after school, cost of training and permit fee, revolver shooting (don't own one and don't plan on ever carrying one), ridiculous ammo requirement, and it's only valid for 3 years but costs almost as much as a Florida 7-year permit. The positive is that it's valid almost everywhere and it's good to have a permit in your resident state.

You really should get your Missiouri "resident" permit,,, This is the only way you can CC in the 6 states
that dont honor ANY nor res permits... Colorado, Michigan, Florida, So Carlonia, Maine, New Hampshire...

Of coarse you have Florida so thats covered and Maine doesnt honar any of those permits so that state is out..

So getting your Mo permit only gets you 4 more of those states.
Other than that it would also get you Minnisota..

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
getting the MO permit eliminates the problems that COULD be associated with the GFSZ act. Only valid permit holders may be within the 1200 feet or whatever stupid rule it is these days. The permit has to be from the state the school is in, not the carrier so it is wise if you live in MO.

On a side note, without some other charge involved, it is NOT likely you will find the GFSZ act much of a problem, but it could happen. Research of my own on it indicates it is pretty much an adder charge but nothing stops it from being a primary one.

REALteach4u

Please cite the actual statute that states you have 30 days to pick up from the Sheriff's office.

Unless I've missed it, it's not in 571.101, 571.111, or 571.114.

571.101.7 states that the Sheriff SHALL issue within 3 days once approved, followed by the 7 days to get the approval certificate taken to the DOR for your endorsement. Since the Sheriff can take 44 days (shall issue on 45) the 30 days doesn't sound right at all.

If the application is approved, the sheriff shall issue a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement to the applicant within a period not to exceed three working days after his or her approval of the application. The applicant shall sign the certificate of qualification in the presence of the sheriff or his or her designee and shall within seven days of receipt of the certificate of qualification take the certificate of qualification to the department of revenue

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000101.HTM