• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help getting non res. ccl.

conandan

I am a non resident and have tried to get a concealed carry permit. I've been to the sheriff's offices in Multnomah and Deschutes county. Both do not issue out of state permits but have said some counties do. Does anyone know which counties will issue non res. permits. I do work all over the state on a regular basis and have a ccw from my home state but is not honored in Oregon.

hermannr

I am a non resident and have tried to get a concealed carry permit. I've been to the sheriff's offices in Multnomah and Deschutes county. Both do not issue out of state permits but have said some counties do. Does anyone know which counties will issue non res. permits. I do work all over the state on a regular basis and have a ccw from my home state but is not honored in Oregon.

Are you actually a resident of FL as per you sig line? If so, you are out of luck...not even Sheriff Palmer in Grant county can help...You need to be a resident of WA, ID, NV or CA...otherwise, OR will not issue a Non-resident permit to you. Also, Oregon does not recognize ANY other state's permit for purposes of Concealed Carry.

If you are a resident of WA, ID, NV, or CA, the best place is Grant County.

Oregon is an Open Carry state, Unlicensed loaded OC is legal everywhere, see ORS 166.250(3) and ORS 166.260...except...those local government entities that have used ORS 166.173 to restrict LOADED carry, and those places restricted by ORS 166.360-380. The most notorious of these is Portland. Others are Beverton, Tiagard, Independence, Oregon City, Salem, Astoria and Newport. Then Springfield and Bend restrict LOADED OC in their parks.

There is a contaversy about ORS 166.173...there is an exemption for those with "a license to carry"...remember, this is for LOADED OC in towns that have restricted LOADED OC...OC only...CC never....Some (myself included) read this as ANY license to carry...or as Astoria's law puts it..."By any competent authority". So, using that reading, your FL permit would allow you to OPEN CARRY LOADED in a restricted town.

There are others that stand by it only means if you have an OR CHL. That is the safe reading...but NEVER CC without an OR CHL or if you meet an exemption in ORS 166.260. That IS an absolute.

Are you by chance military stationed in WA, ID, NV or CA? if so, you can try that.

Last edited:

conandan

U
Are you actually a resident of FL as per you sig line? If so, you are out of luck...not even Sheriff Palmer in Grant county can help...You need to be a resident of WA, ID, NV or CA...otherwise, OR will not issue a Non-resident permit to you. Also, Oregon does not recognize ANY other state's permit for purposes of Concealed Carry.

If you are a resident of WA, ID, NV, or CA, the best place is Grant County.

Oregon is an Open Carry state, Unlicensed loaded OC is legal everywhere, see ORS 166.250(3) and ORS 166.260...except...those local government entities that have used ORS 166.173 to restrict LOADED carry, and those places restricted by ORS 166.360-380. The most notorious of these is Portland. Others are Beverton, Tiagard, Independence, Oregon City, Salem, Astoria and Newport. Then Springfield and Bend restrict LOADED OC in their parks.

There is a contaversy about ORS 166.173...there is an exemption for those with "a license to carry"...remember, this is for LOADED OC in towns that have restricted LOADED OC...OC only...CC never....Some (myself included) read this as ANY license to carry...or as Astoria's law puts it..."By any competent authority". So, using that reading, your FL permit would allow you to OPEN CARRY LOADED in a restricted town.

There are others that stand by it only means if you have an OR CHL. That is the safe reading...but NEVER CC without an OR CHL or if you meet an exemption in ORS 166.260. That IS an absolute.

Are you by chance military stationed in WA, ID, NV or CA? if so, you can try that.

Yes I am a Florida resident. I was told that because I work in Oregon on a regular basis they would consider my application. I am a little nervous about oc because of the city laws and not being able to have it loaded in others. What good is a gun with no ammo. But I do thank you for the site info and will do some more research on it.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
U

Yes I am a Florida resident. I was told that because I work in Oregon on a regular basis they would consider my application. I am a little nervous about oc because of the city laws and not being able to have it loaded in others. What good is a gun with no ammo. But I do thank you for the site info and will do some more research on it.

Here's what the law says:

166.291 (8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.
(9) For purposes of subsection (1)(c) of this section, a person is a resident of a county if the person:
(a) Has a current Oregon driver license issued to the person showing a residence address in the county;
(b) Is registered to vote in the county and has a memorandum card issued to the person under ORS 247.181 showing a residence address in the county;
(c) Has documentation showing that the person currently leases or owns real property in the county; or
(d) Has documentation showing that the person filed an Oregon tax return for the most recent tax year showing a residence address in the county.