• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL class

Rasher

My wife and I paid for our daughters cpl class at Top Gun in Taylor, she and my aunt took the class, when she asked(daughter) a few questions about Oc'ng, the main instructor(big guy with a go tee-(tim or tom)) told her if she planed on OC she could get the F**K outa his class, I doubted her but my aunt backed her up. I made a compliant with mike the owner, and now 3 weeks later still no resolution on their end, let me state I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANYTHING FREE, just a reprimand and a apology, now I am looking for my son a class(gift cert. for x-mas).

Does anybody know someone/where in the Dearborn Heights area that does them.

Raggs

Did you at least get a refund? I would think that you should at the very least get a refund.

My wife and I paid for our daughters cpl class at Top Gun in Taylor, she and my aunt took the class, when she asked(daughter) a few questions about Oc'ng, the main instructor(big guy with a go tee-(tim or tom)) told her if she planed on OC she could get the F**K outa his class, I doubted her but my aunt backed her up. I made a compliant with mike the owner, and now 3 weeks later still no resolution on their end, let me state I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANYTHING FREE, just a reprimand and a apology, now I am looking for my son a class(gift cert. for x-mas).

ncwabbit

a suggestion...might wish to contact, in writing, those within the MI State Police (possibly the commission on Law Enforcement standards or licensure area group) and make a formal complaint about the instructor's conduct and unprofessional behaviour...

I am sure that will get someone's attention...

wabbit

wizzi01

That's why I stopped going to top gun. Everyone there seems to have a holier than thou attitude.

Small_Arms_Collector

I can do it for you, It will be January 12th (will call to book shortly) at the Firearm Exchange in Livonia.

$100
All course material
Lunch
Range time
And I do an OC segment (No carry, or ammunition in the classroom though due to NRA safety rules.)

Last edited:

Raggs

Did your daughter leave then?

Rasher

I can do it for you, It will PROBABLY be January 12th (will call to book shortly) at the Firearm Exchange in Livonia.

$100
All course material
Lunch
Range time
And I do an OC segment (No carry, or ammunition in the classroom though due to NRA safety rules.)

Thank you, but i think I got it taken care of.
I called F/E they charge $125.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
No she stayed, and got her cert., kinda glad she did tho, I think the fight to get the money back woulda been a nightmare.

Please consider contacting the NRA. Not so much regarding the issue of OC but more importantly, the manner in which the person expressed his opinion. I'm sure if he acted this way to your daughter that other complaints have made. If so, perhaps yours will be the tipping point that the NRA decides that his behavior is no longer going to be tolerated. Most organizations function on "good will" and this person is doing them no favors. If no complaint has been made, perhaps yours will cause the NRA to at least start documenting this person's ability to be a representative to future gun owners. Good luck!

Last edited:

griffin

I know some people that have NRA teaching certifications, and they tell me they are not easy to get. Whether or not the NRA cares about them after they are given out I don't know. Since they are not given out like candy, I would hope so.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I know some people that have NRA teaching certifications, and they tell me they are not easy to get. Whether or not the NRA cares about them after they are given out I don't know. Since they are not given out like candy, I would hope so.

Not only difficult but also rather expensive.

ncwabbit

Please consider contacting the NRA. Not so much regarding the issue of OC but more importantly, the manner in which the person expressed his opinion. I'm sure if he acted this way to your daughter that other complaints have made. If so, perhaps yours will be the tipping point that the NRA decides that his behavior is no longer going to be tolerated. Most organizations function on "good will" and this person is doing them no favors. If no complaint has been made, perhaps yours will cause the NRA to at least start documenting this person's ability to be a representative to future gun owners. Good luck!

a review of their website http://www.topgunshootingsports.com/training.htm and the courses offered does not show any hint of NRA affiliation at all?? therefore, contact NRA training would be a mute point per se...

i do however see where they are extremely proud of the fact they are: (never heard of the ASR or NSSF rating myself but...)

quote We are rated a Five Star Range by the Association of Shooting Ranges, one of only 25 in the United States. To meet NSSF's criteria of a Five Star facility, a range must demonstrate excellence in all aspects of management and operations. Ranges are rated on appearance, management, customer service, amenities, customer development and community relations. Click here for more information. unquote.

i would discern where these associations of shooting ranges group's website are, and make a formal complaint about the management's lack of response to your complaint to them as well as their lack of customer service w/such mis-information...

wabbit

ps: then contact the range's owner and point out they have violated the criteria of the ASR's and you hope their range withstands the scrutiny from your complaint letter you sent the main reviewing body.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

having read other venues, my understanding is the NRA's training cadre is small, 4 ppl yet is quite responsive to reports of instructors not teaching to their standards. however, i imagine it is difficult to police with he said, she said accusations.

wabbit

Rasher

Doc and abbit, GOOD IDEA'S, sad to say getting caught up in trying to find my son a class, i never thought of that, Emails will be composed and sent this weekend.