• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio law Iowans may want to watch, House Bill 495

IA_farmboy

Saw this on the NRA-ILA website:
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...g-on-pro-gun-reform-legislation-tomorrow.aspx

Specifically, HB 495 would make the following changes:

• Establish automatic reciprocity between Ohio and other states that have automatic reciprocity for their concealed handgun licenses. Currently, the Attorney General must enter into a written agreement with another state to establish reciprocity. HB 495 would still allow for written agreements between the states if the other state does not have automatic reciprocity, but it eliminates the requirement for a written agreement if reciprocity can occur automatically by operation of law.

Iowa code does not have a mechanism for the state to enter into reciprocity agreements. If this bill becomes law then, as I interpret it, Iowans would be allowed to travel legally while armed in Ohio with their Iowa permit.

I would much prefer that I did not need any permit to travel while armed in any place on this planet but this is a step in the right direction. Let's hope that Ohio chooses wisely on this.

Some other states I'm watching out of personal interests, Minnesota, South Carolina, and <sigh> Illinois.

Universal recognition of licenses is becoming a nationwide trend. Unrestricted carry (AKA constitutional carry) is also gaining some steam. Let's hope HB495 passes in Ohio and we get more sane laws in the coming year.

IA_farmboy

HB 495 passes in both houses, goes to governor

HB 495 is now in the hands of the governor. Seen on the NRA-ILA website.
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...bers,-sent-to-governor-for-his-signature.aspx

What is most disappointing is that the reciprocity portion of the bill was removed.
However, HB 495 required some last minute changes to guarantee passage in the Ohio Senate. Therefore, in order to ensure its passage in this legislative session, the sections regarding expanding concealed carry reciprocity were amended out of the bill with a commitment to address it early next session.

Ohio's weapons laws do get some much needed improvements but not much, if anything, to the benefit visitors to the state.