Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man brings rifle into Academy to buy ammo,sheeple panic, gets shot by police...

Man brings rifle into Academy to buy ammo,sheeple panic, gets shot by police...

Pretty sure not hearing both sides of this one...but.. 4-5 homicides in town within a 10-mile radius, here in the last 24 hours.. things are just getting nuts..

JSO Chief Tom Hackney said the man and a woman, who weren't immediately identified, had entered the store about 9:20 a.m., and the man was carrying a long rifle.

Academy Sports told police its not store policy to allow customers to bring guns inside the store. Part of its business is to prepare guns, so customers do frequently bring guns to the store, but they have to be checked in at customer service and not carried through the store.

Employees confronted the man at the front door and informed him of the policy, and the man refused to cooperate with their instructions to turn the gun over to them, Hackney said.

The man continued through the store and was confronted by management again inside the ammunition aisle, Hackney said. The man refused again to turn the gun over to employees.

Hackney said employees were on the phone with 911 the entire time.

To get the man to leave the store, employees allowed him to complete his transaction and buy ammunition, Hackney said.

He said the man and woman got into a white pickup truck in the parking lot, with the woman driving and the man a passenger.

Officers arrived and tried to stop the truck, but the woman driving didn't stop, Hackney said. As the truck was leaving the parking lot, the man pointed a handgun through a rear sliding window of the truck at the officers.

One officer opened fire, striking the truck and the man, Hackney said. He said he's not sure if the man fired his weapon at officers.

Hackney said the truck continued westbound on Atlantic, where it stopped. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, and the woman was taken into custody. The man's body was seen on the sidewalk of the north side of Atlantic near the intersection of Kernan Boulevard, about a quarter-mile from the store.

The officer who fired the shots was placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in police-involved shootings.

All westbound lanes of Atlantic were closed for about four hours while police investigated and documented the crime scene.

Hackney said he will hold a news conference Wednesday morning to provide more information.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Police-...9/-/index.html

The police-involved shooting is the 10th in Jacksonville this year, including the sixth fatal shooting.

Founder's Club Member
    City, state, date?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Jax, Florida (working it's way back to the #1 murder per mile title, again) happened today, this morning.

Bad head line just more BS from the press.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Re: Man brings rifle into Academy to buy ammo,sheeple panic, gets shot by police...

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I don't really see a problem here. If the management of Academy Sports asked the person to leave and they refused to, he was trespassing. I believe Florida has an armed trespassing law as well. The police were investigating an armed individual who was trespassing on private property. The driver of the vehicle failed to obey the indications from the police that she was being stopped, which is a crime by itself, so now the police are investigation two separate crimes. They shot a man who pointed a handgun at them. What's the issue?
    The issue is whether we're getting whole, truthful story. Cost Co shooting comes to mind.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I don't really see a problem here. If the management of Academy Sports asked the person to leave and they refused to, he was trespassing. I believe Florida has an armed trespassing law as well. The police were investigating an armed individual who was trespassing on private property. The driver of the vehicle failed to obey the indications from the police that she was being stopped, which is a crime by itself, so now the police are investigation two separate crimes. They shot a man who pointed a handgun at them. What's the issue?
    Agreed. The thread title is very misleading.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.
    XD40 Service
    -Hogue Handall grip sleeve
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -16" stainless bull-barrel
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Millet SP2 red-dot scope
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    KelTec P11
    -Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
    No one can make a pencil...

Banned
    It amazes me which stories some swallow whole and which stories require more detail.

I am wondering what details this story is missing?? It is possible that some of the facts are wrong. However, if they are right, they sound pretty danged complete. And, if they are, this guy is a criminal, with no respect for the rights of others, only his own perceived rights, and is stupid to boot. Rightly or wrongly, point a gun at a cop, get shot. Duh.

Like Navy said, what's the problem here?

Oh, and it ain't just the story headline. The OP put a headline on the thread that doesn't comport with the facts as reported. What sheeple panicked??? He didn't follow store policy. The management seems to have remained calm and handled the situation perfectly. They got the unreasonable guy with the gun OUT of the store with minimal fuss. Smart.

Here is the correct headline: Idiot brings gun where it is unwelcome, refuses to leave, when he finally leaves, points a gun at the cops, and they *gasp* shoot him.

To get the man to leave the store, employees allowed him to complete his transaction and buy ammunition, Hackney said.
    Is this trespass?

Store: "Please let us hold your firearm while you shop, it's store policy."
    Dude: "No."
    Store: "Please let us hold your firearm while you shop, it's store policy."
    Dude: "No."
    Store: "OK, go ahead and shop."
    Dude: .....leaves the store.

Gets messy after that.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

as agreed by a few members above; if everything in this story is true, the LEO did nothing wrong, and this guy was an ignorant moron.

the biggest question though is if he really pointed a handgun out the window at the police. that is the determining factor in all of this. I'm wondering if there is video evidence to prove he did this, or just the officer's word.
    because even though multiple crimes (or at least 1 definite crime) were committed, the officer would have zero justified reasons to fire upon the truck if a handgun was NOT in fact pulled and aimed at the officer.

I don't see anything wrong with what happened. However, if/when the police dash cam footage 'goes missing,' or the camera is found to have 'malfunctioned'...

Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    as agreed by a few members above; if everything in this story is true, the LEO did nothing wrong, and this guy was an ignorant moron.

the biggest question though is if he really pointed a handgun out the window at the police. that is the determining factor in all of this. I'm wondering if there is video evidence to prove he did this, or just the officer's word.
    because even though multiple crimes (or at least 1 definite crime) were committed, the officer would have zero justified reasons to fire upon the truck if a handgun was NOT in fact pulled and aimed at the officer.
    That's the key right there. There's so many people shot by cops that thought they saw a firearm, but when the crime scene is examined, no weapon is found. I've also heard that some States or PD's don't even allow officers to fire with brandishing, but require a shot fired first. (Again, just something I heard but can't verify.) Simply trespassing and being a jerk to the store employees is not reason to open fire.
    Last edited by HighFlyingA380; 12-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.
    XD40 Service
    -Hogue Handall grip sleeve
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -16" stainless bull-barrel
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Millet SP2 red-dot scope
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    KelTec P11
    -Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
    No one can make a pencil...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy276 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with what happened. However, if/when the police dash cam footage 'goes missing,' or the camera is found to have 'malfunctioned'...
    Good buddy of mine is an officer with JSO. Most of their units with the exception of vehicles in the traffic unit are not equipped with dashboard cameras. Some of your larger agencies have problems equipping the whole fleet with dash cams for budget reasons, but many are moving towards equipping regular patrol units as well. Buddy said the guy made threats to shoot everyone in the store when the manager asked him to return the rifle to his vehicle, and then JSO performed a felony stop on his vehicle, the guy pointed a gun at officers, and an officer shot him in the head with his AR.

Sounds to me like he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards.

Quote Originally Posted by shastadude17 View Post
    Good buddy of mine is an officer with JSO. Most of their units with the exception of vehicles in the traffic unit are not equipped with dashboard cameras. Some of your larger agencies have problems equipping the whole fleet with dash cams for budget reasons, but many are moving towards equipping regular patrol units as well. Buddy said the guy made threats to shoot everyone in the store when the manager asked him to return the rifle to his vehicle, and then JSO performed a felony stop on his vehicle, the guy pointed a gun at officers, and an officer shot him in the head with his AR.

Sounds to me like he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards.
    If that's the case, and is accurate, then yes, the guy was an idiot and got what was coming. At the time this hit the news though, there were a lot of conflicting details, depending on where you looked or heard.
    A friend of mine, who lives near there, was shopping @ that store at the time it happened, and witnessed the conversation between the sales staff and the suspect in the ammo aisle. He said customers and staff were all over-reacting a bit, and running around yelling "man with a gun" or "OMG hes got a gun!!!" (in a store that sells guns..) something to that effect, but that the guy (suspect) was just walking along calmly with it, and appeared to be trying to figure out which caliber the rifle was, or something, and that he was actually very calm and matter-of-fact in his "refusal" saying "no, thank you, I'd rather hold onto it".

As to whether they guy actually had a handgun on him, or in the vehicle ,seems not to have yet been disclosed-beyond the claim by the shooting officer. The woman with the guy was supposedly the mouthy, nasty one with a bit of an attitude, though. The woman was supposedly arrested and charged with having made "written threats" but to whom, or where or when,no one has bothered to disclose...

Centurion
    I've NOT listened to or view the linked news?report. The ONLY info I have on this incident is that discussed and divulged on THIS thread....

One question...

Since it is suggested that they may not be ANY video evidence available of the "felony" stop.... is there any corroboration of the officers claim that a weapon was pointed towards him? I don't see a way to perform a "felony" stop with only a single officer. What are the other officers at the scene saying?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I've NOT listened to or view the linked news?report. The ONLY info I have on this incident is that discussed and divulged on THIS thread....

One question...

Since it is suggested that they may not be ANY video evidence available of the "felony" stop.... is there any corroboration of the officers claim that a weapon was pointed towards him? I don't see a way to perform a "felony" stop with only a single officer. What are the other officers at the scene saying?
    Still no vid or other evidence, but now they (police) are claiming the suspect shot at police-not just pointed the gun at them as originally reported...
    And, it seems the suspect(s) were supposedly about to go to their job, and "go postal" on everyone..who knows, maybe they were nuts, maybe it's true, but the story just gets more and more odd, the more that comes out of it.. video claims to explain it...

http://www.news4jax.com/Woman-s-cowo...4/-/index.html

The only way the facts will come to light is if someone files a wrongful death suit against the cops. Absent that it is the cops version that we must accept.....when the cops get done amending their version, that is.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I can tell you as the the niece of Leslie Cowan that every person in this situation, store employees, and police acted in a very appropriate way. There will be no wrongful death case. They most likely saved a lot of innocent people's lives. Leslie and his partner were both very very mentally unstable.

As is typical in Florida, the only person with any motivation to tell the truth is dead. With that taken care of, there is no reason to trust the statements of anyone else involved.

Think how it might go down in any Open Carry State if the Management simply lied about asking the person to leave...

Manager: "Oh, yes, we asked him to leave several times, he cussed at us, threatened us, and refused to leave. Several of my employees (who are also lying-ass liberals) witnessed it!"
    Cop: "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang!"

Who's going to argue? I bet the article in the newspaper would look a lot like this one....and has many times before.

Anti-gunners ALWAYS lie.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    Anti-gunners ALWAYS lie.
    About as accurate as saying ALL who OC are nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk001 View Post
    About as accurate as saying ALL who OC are nuts.
    Then I'll qualify the statement and revise it: "I've never heard an anti-gunner tell the truth."

If you ask them the time, they'll tell you one minute different just for the sake of lying. They're very sick people.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

I shop at this store all the time; it's only about a mile from my house. I conceal carry in this store every time I go. They allow conceal carry and only ask that you check your gun if it is open carry or bring it in for "Fit" of a holster or other device, or if they are shipping the Firearm to a manufacturer. I know a few of the salesmen that work the gun counter and their conversations with me backs up what was written about what happened in the store. They heard the man be very combative with management and threaten to kill people in the store.

The local new station did a follow up story on the couple. The man had been fired a couple days prior and had sent emails to his management that he was going to kill them all. The man did not have a CCW and was carrying concealed at the time he took a shot or pointed his weapon at LEO.

BTW...I believe every one of us on the site would fire back or draw and likely fire at someone who pointed a weapon at us. I don't blame an LEO for firing at a dumbass if he is going to point his weapon or fire at the LEO..

Banned

Man brings rifle into Academy to buy ammo,sheeple panic, gets shot by police...

You should not have to check an OCed gun, as long as you never intend to unholster it. That is the policy at Bass Pro Shops. It could be that the local management is misinterpreting the corporate policy. That happened at the Bass Pro Shop in Prattville until we pressed the issue.

Is is corporate policy that OCed firearms must be checked, or is it a local misinterpretation?

Anyway, I find it just as offensive that I should have to check my OCed firearm as to be told I may not carry at all. I won't shop anywhere that has either policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I find it just as offensive that I should have to check my OCed firearm as to be told I may not carry at all. I won't shop anywhere that has either policy.
    You used to rant at me for saying the same. Glad to see you're coming around...

:-p

I'm perceived by most people as being exceptionally mentally unstable; but I have no desire to go on a rampage.

This notion of "mental health screenings" has been used to the detriment of many. The shrink business is already extremely left-leaning. Let them decide who has a gun and you'll hear this: "Anyone who desires a gun is too crazy to have one." I dare you to find a shrink that DOESN'T agree to that. The UK already suffered that path. Read what happened to Patrick Luty.

Take a look at how many people in faction politics will declare their adversaries 'crazy' already. In fact, Liberalism is nothing but a collection of interdependent neuroses... Let them decide who's crazy and who's not? Then you're really putting the nut jobs in charge of the nut house...

If everyone who doesn't fit the definition of average is crazy, you better lock me up 20 years ago. I can count to potato!

Cops have falsely arrested me twice and used the funny farm to prevent it coming back on them. Any mention of owning firearms and you never get out. I had to get a court order for release both times. The "Doctors'" only argument was "But, but. but, he has guns!" Fortunately, that doesn't define me as criminally insane... Yet.

These so-called 'Doctors' are so filled with insecurity and pre-pubescent angst, they're begging and pleading to become pawns of the State. They can't wait to have power and validation. If there is anyone more sick and craving domination of others than Cops, it's these so-called 'Doctors.'

Having an IQ above room temperature has nearly been outlawed as the average IQ drops to historic lows. Not being one of those average idiots will get you locked up in no time flat.

In this story, the 'defendant' has no voice. the story will sound exactly like those who are still alive want it to sound. History is written by the victor. You'll never know what really happened.
    Last edited by ixtow; 01-08-2013 at 06:43 PM.

I'm going to side with the dead defendant on this one. The LEO's story of a pointed gun after the defendant exited sounds too made up to be true, and it sounds like a very typical LEO story to cover up a screw-up (like finding drugs "in plain view" after tearing the entire car apart). Early on in 2011, I had a fleeing and eluding case where my client was almost shot, and when we got some background for the case, the officer had literally murdered another defendant under similar circumstances, and been suspended for it.

Logic and experience tell me that this is a cop on a power trip, and that a trespasser who has already left a store is no longer a threat. Like the cop above, the cop in my client's case was placed on "paid" administrative leave before the suspension. Cops on these types of power trips are serial killers, and our tax dollars are paying for them.
    Last edited by Jojo712; 01-25-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast