• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man brings rifle into Academy to buy ammo,sheeple panic, gets shot by police...

j4l

Pretty sure not hearing both sides of this one...but.. 4-5 homicides in town within a 10-mile radius, here in the last 24 hours.. things are just getting nuts..

JSO Chief Tom Hackney said the man and a woman, who weren't immediately identified, had entered the store about 9:20 a.m., and the man was carrying a long rifle.

Academy Sports told police its not store policy to allow customers to bring guns inside the store. Part of its business is to prepare guns, so customers do frequently bring guns to the store, but they have to be checked in at customer service and not carried through the store.

Employees confronted the man at the front door and informed him of the policy, and the man refused to cooperate with their instructions to turn the gun over to them, Hackney said.

The man continued through the store and was confronted by management again inside the ammunition aisle, Hackney said. The man refused again to turn the gun over to employees.

Hackney said employees were on the phone with 911 the entire time.

To get the man to leave the store, employees allowed him to complete his transaction and buy ammunition, Hackney said.

He said the man and woman got into a white pickup truck in the parking lot, with the woman driving and the man a passenger.

Officers arrived and tried to stop the truck, but the woman driving didn't stop, Hackney said. As the truck was leaving the parking lot, the man pointed a handgun through a rear sliding window of the truck at the officers.

One officer opened fire, striking the truck and the man, Hackney said. He said he's not sure if the man fired his weapon at officers.

Hackney said the truck continued westbound on Atlantic, where it stopped. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, and the woman was taken into custody. The man's body was seen on the sidewalk of the north side of Atlantic near the intersection of Kernan Boulevard, about a quarter-mile from the store.

The officer who fired the shots was placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in police-involved shootings.

All westbound lanes of Atlantic were closed for about four hours while police investigated and documented the crime scene.

Hackney said he will hold a news conference Wednesday morning to provide more information.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Police...truck/-/475880/17731448/-/abj0k9/-/index.html

The police-involved shooting is the 10th in Jacksonville this year, including the sixth fatal shooting.

j4l

Jax, Florida (working it's way back to the #1 murder per mile title, again) happened today, this morning.

Jack House

I don't really see a problem here. If the management of Academy Sports asked the person to leave and they refused to, he was trespassing. I believe Florida has an armed trespassing law as well. The police were investigating an armed individual who was trespassing on private property. The driver of the vehicle failed to obey the indications from the police that she was being stopped, which is a crime by itself, so now the police are investigation two separate crimes. They shot a man who pointed a handgun at them. What's the issue?
The issue is whether we're getting whole, truthful story. Cost Co shooting comes to mind.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

HighFlyingA380

I don't really see a problem here. If the management of Academy Sports asked the person to leave and they refused to, he was trespassing. I believe Florida has an armed trespassing law as well. The police were investigating an armed individual who was trespassing on private property. The driver of the vehicle failed to obey the indications from the police that she was being stopped, which is a crime by itself, so now the police are investigation two separate crimes. They shot a man who pointed a handgun at them. What's the issue?
Agreed. The thread title is very misleading.

eye95

It amazes me which stories some swallow whole and which stories require more detail.

I am wondering what details this story is missing?? It is possible that some of the facts are wrong. However, if they are right, they sound pretty danged complete. And, if they are, this guy is a criminal, with no respect for the rights of others, only his own perceived rights, and is stupid to boot. Rightly or wrongly, point a gun at a cop, get shot. Duh.

Like Navy said, what's the problem here?

Oh, and it ain't just the story headline. The OP put a headline on the thread that doesn't comport with the facts as reported. What sheeple panicked??? He didn't follow store policy. The management seems to have remained calm and handled the situation perfectly. They got the unreasonable guy with the gun OUT of the store with minimal fuss. Smart.

Here is the correct headline: Idiot brings gun where it is unwelcome, refuses to leave, when he finally leaves, points a gun at the cops, and they *gasp* shoot him.

OC for ME

To get the man to leave the store, employees allowed him to complete his transaction and buy ammunition, Hackney said.
Is this trespass?

Store: "Please let us hold your firearm while you shop, it's store policy."
Dude: "No."
Store: "Please let us hold your firearm while you shop, it's store policy."
Dude: "No."
Store: "OK, go ahead and shop."
Dude: .....leaves the store.

Gets messy after that.

motoxmann

as agreed by a few members above; if everything in this story is true, the LEO did nothing wrong, and this guy was an ignorant moron.

the biggest question though is if he really pointed a handgun out the window at the police. that is the determining factor in all of this. I'm wondering if there is video evidence to prove he did this, or just the officer's word.
because even though multiple crimes (or at least 1 definite crime) were committed, the officer would have zero justified reasons to fire upon the truck if a handgun was NOT in fact pulled and aimed at the officer.

FlyBoy276

I don't see anything wrong with what happened. However, if/when the police dash cam footage 'goes missing,' or the camera is found to have 'malfunctioned'...

HighFlyingA380

as agreed by a few members above; if everything in this story is true, the LEO did nothing wrong, and this guy was an ignorant moron.

the biggest question though is if he really pointed a handgun out the window at the police. that is the determining factor in all of this. I'm wondering if there is video evidence to prove he did this, or just the officer's word.
because even though multiple crimes (or at least 1 definite crime) were committed, the officer would have zero justified reasons to fire upon the truck if a handgun was NOT in fact pulled and aimed at the officer.
That's the key right there. There's so many people shot by cops that thought they saw a firearm, but when the crime scene is examined, no weapon is found. I've also heard that some States or PD's don't even allow officers to fire with brandishing, but require a shot fired first. (Again, just something I heard but can't verify.) Simply trespassing and being a jerk to the store employees is not reason to open fire.

Last edited:

shastadude17

I don't see anything wrong with what happened. However, if/when the police dash cam footage 'goes missing,' or the camera is found to have 'malfunctioned'...

Good buddy of mine is an officer with JSO. Most of their units with the exception of vehicles in the traffic unit are not equipped with dashboard cameras. Some of your larger agencies have problems equipping the whole fleet with dash cams for budget reasons, but many are moving towards equipping regular patrol units as well. Buddy said the guy made threats to shoot everyone in the store when the manager asked him to return the rifle to his vehicle, and then JSO performed a felony stop on his vehicle, the guy pointed a gun at officers, and an officer shot him in the head with his AR.

Sounds to me like he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards.

j4l

Good buddy of mine is an officer with JSO. Most of their units with the exception of vehicles in the traffic unit are not equipped with dashboard cameras. Some of your larger agencies have problems equipping the whole fleet with dash cams for budget reasons, but many are moving towards equipping regular patrol units as well. Buddy said the guy made threats to shoot everyone in the store when the manager asked him to return the rifle to his vehicle, and then JSO performed a felony stop on his vehicle, the guy pointed a gun at officers, and an officer shot him in the head with his AR.

Sounds to me like he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards.

If that's the case, and is accurate, then yes, the guy was an idiot and got what was coming. At the time this hit the news though, there were a lot of conflicting details, depending on where you looked or heard.
A friend of mine, who lives near there, was shopping @ that store at the time it happened, and witnessed the conversation between the sales staff and the suspect in the ammo aisle. He said customers and staff were all over-reacting a bit, and running around yelling "man with a gun" or "OMG hes got a gun!!!" (in a store that sells guns..:banghead:) something to that effect, but that the guy (suspect) was just walking along calmly with it, and appeared to be trying to figure out which caliber the rifle was, or something, and that he was actually very calm and matter-of-fact in his "refusal" saying "no, thank you, I'd rather hold onto it".

As to whether they guy actually had a handgun on him, or in the vehicle ,seems not to have yet been disclosed-beyond the claim by the shooting officer. The woman with the guy was supposedly the mouthy, nasty one with a bit of an attitude, though. The woman was supposedly arrested and charged with having made "written threats" but to whom, or where or when,no one has bothered to disclose...

JoeSparky

Centurion
I've NOT listened to or view the linked news?report. The ONLY info I have on this incident is that discussed and divulged on THIS thread....

One question...

Since it is suggested that they may not be ANY video evidence available of the "felony" stop.... is there any corroboration of the officers claim that a weapon was pointed towards him? I don't see a way to perform a "felony" stop with only a single officer. What are the other officers at the scene saying?

j4l

I've NOT listened to or view the linked news?report. The ONLY info I have on this incident is that discussed and divulged on THIS thread....

One question...

Since it is suggested that they may not be ANY video evidence available of the "felony" stop.... is there any corroboration of the officers claim that a weapon was pointed towards him? I don't see a way to perform a "felony" stop with only a single officer. What are the other officers at the scene saying?

Still no vid or other evidence, but now they (police) are claiming the suspect shot at police-not just pointed the gun at them as originally reported...
And, it seems the suspect(s) were supposedly about to go to their job, and "go postal" on everyone..who knows, maybe they were nuts, maybe it's true, but the story just gets more and more odd, the more that comes out of it.. video claims to explain it...

http://www.news4jax.com/Woman-s-cow...crime/-/475982/17758324/-/w913f4/-/index.html

OC for ME

The only way the facts will come to light is if someone files a wrongful death suit against the cops. Absent that it is the cops version that we must accept.....when the cops get done amending their version, that is.

Frankie

I can tell you as the the niece of Leslie Cowan that every person in this situation, store employees, and police acted in a very appropriate way. There will be no wrongful death case. They most likely saved a lot of innocent people's lives. Leslie and his partner were both very very mentally unstable.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
As is typical in Florida, the only person with any motivation to tell the truth is dead. With that taken care of, there is no reason to trust the statements of anyone else involved.

Think how it might go down in any Open Carry State if the Management simply lied about asking the person to leave...

Manager: "Oh, yes, we asked him to leave several times, he cussed at us, threatened us, and refused to leave. Several of my employees (who are also lying-ass liberals) witnessed it!"
Cop: "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang!"

Who's going to argue? I bet the article in the newspaper would look a lot like this one....and has many times before.

Anti-gunners ALWAYS lie.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
About as accurate as saying ALL who OC are nuts.

Then I'll qualify the statement and revise it: "I've never heard an anti-gunner tell the truth."

If you ask them the time, they'll tell you one minute different just for the sake of lying. They're very sick people.