• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eastern. Shore VA

Brad410

Hi everyone I currently live on the eastern shore of Maryland and am tired of having no rights what so ever it seems. I'm considering on moving to the eastern shore of va maybe cape Charles and was wondering if anyone could tell me how it is there and if I can OC or get my chp{I have a clean record} just wanted a little info on the area.
Thanks,
Brad

Esanders2008

Hi everyone I currently live on the eastern shore of Maryland and am tired of having no rights what so ever it seems. I'm considering on moving to the eastern shore of va maybe cape Charles and was wondering if anyone could tell me how it is there and if I can OC or get my chp{I have a clean record} just wanted a little info on the area.
Thanks,
Brad

Brad, Welcome to OCDO! If you have not already done so, please sign up for VCDL email alerts on the VCDL webpage.

To address your questions:
1: Virginia allows OC
2: Getting a CHP is not hard, just have to take an approved class and submit the appropriate paperwork.

This will answer the basic questions of VA's laws, but nothing is all inclusive.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...pen-Carry-Flyers-amp-Information-Cards-STICKY
Be sure to check out the other threads on this board, as it will answer a lot of your questions. Our forum's search feature leaves a lot to be desired, but it can be helpful at times.

Again, welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Brad410

Brad, Welcome to OCDO! If you have not already done so, please sign up for VCDL email alerts on the VCDL webpage.

To address your questions:
1: Virginia allows OC
2: Getting a CHP is not hard, just have to take an approved class and submit the appropriate paperwork.

This will answer the basic questions of VA's laws, but nothing is all inclusive.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...pen-Carry-Flyers-amp-Information-Cards-STICKY
Be sure to check out the other threads on this board, as it will answer a lot of your questions. Our forum's search feature leaves a lot to be desired, but it can be helpful at times.

Again, welcome aboard!
Thanks very much I will Check out VCDL. Also what's your opinion on the eastern shore VA area?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Thanks very much I will Check out VCDL. Also what's your opinion on the eastern shore VA area?
Hi Brad. Welcome to OCDO welcome.gif and as Esanders said check out VCDL.org. If nothing else sign up for free alerts. I live in Accomack County and while you dont see a lot of open carry on the Eastern Shore it is perfectly legal. Not sure how Northampton County is but Accomack is fairly good for CHP.

Send me a PM and I'd be glad to talk to you if you'd like.

Brad410

Hi Brad. Welcome to OCDO View attachment 9667 and as Esanders said check out VCDL.org. If nothing else sign up for free alerts. I live in Accomack County and while you dont see a lot of open carry on the Eastern Shore it is perfectly legal. Not sure how Northampton County is but Accomack is fairly good for CHP.

Send me a PM and I'd be glad to talk to you if you'd like.

Thanks man ... I just signed up to receive emails from VCDL . Also I sent you a message

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks,
Brad

Virginia is a "shall issue" state - if no disqualifying factor(s), an application for a CHP must be issued within 45 days.

There are numerous ways to satisfy the training requirements:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

No permit is required to OC in Virginia. :D

Last edited:

Brad410

I have a hunting licenses but for Maryland. Sounds nice though since I can't even think of carrying in MD

sidestreet

Eastern shore related...,

Went there OC'ing, for the 4th of July, no problems, but I know some people there. DO NOT SPEED on 13 or in surrounding areas, their radar is working double overtime, all the time!!!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 v. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.