• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to get an out of state pistol registered in Connecticut

bushi01

My cousin was in the Air Force and stationed in Arkansas. While he was there he purchased a pistol. Since then he has been transferred back to Massachusetts . On his way to massachusetts he gave my father who has a CT pistol permit the pistol that he purchased in Arkansas because he did not want it anymore. What would my father need to do in order to register this pistol with the state of connecticut so that it is legal here?

brk913

My cousin was in the Air Force and stationed in Arkansas. While he was there he purchased a pistol. Since then he has been transferred back to Massachusetts . On his way to massachusetts he gave my father who has a CT pistol permit the pistol that he purchased in Arkansas because he did not want it anymore. What would my father need to do in order to register this pistol with the state of connecticut so that it is legal here?

It's not quite that easy, you don't register a pistol here in CT at least not the way you are thinking. Basically your cousin should have gone to a CT FFL and had them transfer the gun to your father per CT law (coming in from out of state) if your cousin was a CT resident it would be different. It's not to late and it's the only legal way to transfer the gun, I suggest making contact with a FFL holder to get you straightened out, probably cost between $20-$50 depending on who you go to, I recommend Joel Cramer...http://firearm-dealers.findthebest.com/l/2375/Cramer-Joel-Ira

Local Guy

Is there a requirement that the gun be 'registered' at all? If I moved to CT, there's no need to notify the state in any manner that I own & possess a gun, is there? I suppose the state would like to know, but that's a different story.
Couldn't the father just hold onto the gun for safe keeping? Who knows, the son may change his mind later on.

Also, does one need to be the owner of all guns in one's possession? I don't believe so, but that's just me.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is there a requirement that the gun be 'registered' at all? If I moved to CT, there's no need to notify the state in any manner that I own & possess a gun, is there? I suppose the state would like to know, but that's a different story.
Couldn't the father just hold onto the gun for safe keeping? Who knows, the son may change his mind later on.

Also, does one need to be the owner of all guns in one's possession? I don't believe so, but that's just me.

Registration is optional ... you have like 30,60,or 90 days to get rid of any banned firearms (AR 15 by Colt, etc)

Need to be the owner? No. Long as its not stolen of course.

You know once at your new house..you cannot take it outside the 4 walls of the dwelling w/o a permit ... you can transport it in OK (locked case, ammo separate) .. once here w/o a permit it is limited to the house.

Last edited:

brk913

There is no registration required if you move into the state with guns you are free to keep your mouth shut. However, for a resident to obtain a handgun in CT they must have a valid CT Pistol Permit and the sale needs to be authorized by SLFU after a background check (they provide the authorization number). The problem in this instance is the gun has been "transfered" (given) to a CT resident from a non resident this is illegal and both parties are guilty, while it is not illegal to possess someone else's gun this gets sticky due to the relationship (nephew not son) and residences (different states). In this situation if no one does anything there is a 99.99% chance that nothing will ever happen to either party and they will never face any consequences, but there is always that off chance and the hassle and penalties can be steep, better to simply follow the law and have a legal transfer done for a few bucks....

dcmdon

If you hadn't posted this on an internet forum, your brother could have just given the gun to your father. Nobody cares.

But since its been posted, you now have to follow the letter of the law perfectly. That means your brother needs to go to a FFL in CT and transfer the gun to him. Then the FFL will do the transfer to your father. There is no gun registration in CT. They do record transfers, but they do not track what gun is owned by whom. Rather, they track who owns what guns. There is a big difference.

Since there is no requirement to report out of state sales, a gun could be associated with multiple people. If they tracked what gun is owned by whom, it is possible that a gun could be sold out of state through an out of state FFL, with no record of the transfer made to CT. Then if it was sold back into CT and transferred by a FFL, it would then be associated with two people. The system can't handle that. So its just a simple list next to your name.

Either way. Don't sweat the small stuf. The DPS is completely uninterested in hassling people re transfers between fathers and sons. Its the least of their worries.

Don

Last edited: