• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it assault? (or any other charge)

self preservation

I have been reading about this topic in other forums but wanted to get some thoughts on the subject that are specific to KY. I have read and been told both ways. If you needed to pull your gun for self defense (or protection of another), would it be considered assault if you only held them at gun point but did not fire? The debate is that pulling the trigger is self defense but holding them at gun point could be considered assault. I would think that holding them at gun point would be justified (if the situation would have also allowed the use of deadly force) but like the saying goes, "common sense ain't that common".

Below is a link to KRS that cover what assault is, but I can't find any exemptions listed in these statutes.

Note: I'm hard pressed to think of very many situations that it would be wise to only hold them at gun point. Especially if they had a firearm as well. But life will throw you those curve balls from time to time. I was always taught not to point a gun at anything that I didn't want to shoot, but that rare case could pop up on me one day.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/508-00/CHAPTER.HTM

langzaiguy

Personally, I don't think one could be charged. All the different degrees of assault under KRS stipulate that physical injury (or an attempt of) must occur. There might be a case (albeit a bad one) for a charge of wanton endangerment.

I can imagine holding someone at gun point. If they were to charge towards me, then that would lead me to shoot. If they run, that would change the situation. If the threat of their attack is gone and I'm holding them for the authorities to arrive--if they turn tail and run, running after them would turn my position from a defensive one to an offensive one. That, I would think, would potentially increase the risk of criminal or civil charges.

MrOverlay

All of the assault charges (except 3rd degree) require a physical injury. 3rd degree also has inserted "or attempts to cause" but this covers a specific group of people.

The lesser charge of Wanton Endangerment would be the danger area. I would hope that the totality of the circumstances would be considered before such a catch all charge would be brought.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have been reading about this topic in other forums but wanted to get some thoughts on the subject that are specific to KY. I have read and been told both ways. If you needed to pull your gun for self defense (or protection of another), would it be considered assault if you only held them at gun point but did not fire? The debate is that pulling the trigger is self defense but holding them at gun point could be considered assault. I would think that holding them at gun point would be justified (if the situation would have also allowed the use of deadly force) but like the saying goes, "common sense ain't that common".

Below is a link to KRS that cover what assault is, but I can't find any exemptions listed in these statutes.

Note: I'm hard pressed to think of very many situations that it would be wise to only hold them at gun point. Especially if they had a firearm as well. But life will throw you those curve balls from time to time. I was always taught not to point a gun at anything that I didn't want to shoot, but that rare case could pop up on me one day.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/508-00/CHAPTER.HTM

If you would have been justified under KRS Chapter 503 in firing in self-defense then you would be justified in holding them at gun point. I will not take a life unless it is unavoidable (or someone breaks into my home), and some situations where you would be legally able to fire in self-defense doesn't mean you always should. If you hold on someone and they comply with your orders (someone with a knife or someone that has just committed a felony in your presence), then I would not fire on them. Hold them at gun point and wait for the police; just make sure the police know what you are wearing and that you are legally carrying a firearm so they don't shoot you.