Thread: Former MI resident question.

Former MI resident question.

I grew up in Michigan, Livingston county to be exact. I've left 7 years ago due to Economy and currently live in Seattle. Open carry is pretty accepted here, with a few incidents from time to time.

My question is I am thinking of checking my XDS or Sig when I fly home for the holidays. My CPL is good there, but as a open carry advocate I'd probably open carry if the attitude is similar to here. Just don't want to be bothered alot on vacation, If local LEO's are cool, I don't have a problem with people that are uneducated on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleWingsfan View Post
    I grew up in Michigan, Livingston county to be exact. I've left 7 years ago due to Economy and currently live in Seattle. Open carry is pretty accepted here, with a few incidents from time to time.

My question is I am thinking of checking my XDS or Sig when I fly home for the holidays. My CPL is good there, but as a open carry advocate I'd probably open carry if the attitude is similar to here. Just don't want to be bothered alot on vacation, If local LEO's are cool, I don't have a problem with people that are uneducated on the subject.
    OC in Michigan is pretty well accepted as being legal by law enforcement and the general public. While you may have issues it is unlikely.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Thanks for the info. Looks like the only downside to this trip will be not seeing a hockey game while in town.

I don't remember reading about any negative encounters in Livingston County (Howell, Brighton). I've been OCing in Ingham County for 18 months and haven't had a single negative encounter.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I don't remember reading about any negative encounters in Livingston County (Howell, Brighton). I've been OCing in Ingham County for 18 months and haven't had a single negative encounter.
    The very first urban OC meetup in Michigan was done in Brighton for a reason. That reasoning was summed up at that event when a cop that drove by, took one glance, and kept right on going, utterly not giving a ****.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleWingsfan View Post

From what I understand from reading about the everyday experience of OCers in WA, expect about the same. Sure, there may be an "incident", but usually these are limited to either owners of private property asking you to cover it up or take it back to your car... or carrying in manner designed to draw attention... ie more than just Open Carrying. But, I guess there is always the possibility of having somebody getting really upset... but that can happen almost anywhere. While on vacation, I'd carry openly everywhere I went... oh yeah, I guess I already do that. In the 5 years I've OCd, I've only really had maybe two or three things happen that could be termed serious enough to even mention. Compared to some people's experience in other states, I'd say pretty uneventful.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.