• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1326: Concealed handgun permits; firearms safety courses.

markand

Incrementally deconstructing Virginia's training requirements, and otherwise reducing the bar to obtaining a VA permit as a back door path to "Constitutional Carry", has the unintended consequence of reducing the number of states that will accept a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit for reciprocity purposes. Delaware just dropped Virginia reciprocity, allegedly due to Virginia's inadequate training requirement to obtain a permit.

If we want constitutional carry, and I certainly do, it would be better to simply allow carry in Virginia without a permit, but keep the permit process for those who want to obtain one for reciprocity with other states. Then make the Virginia permit a decent permit with realistic training requirements, perhaps even a photo, to maximize reciprocity with other states.

I'm not in favor of any proposal that will lock instructors into following only an NRA training program, or that will encourage court challenges of an individual instructor's training certificate, or that will give localities an excuse to reject applications unless they approve each individual instructors training program.

Like many, I have a problem with all of these hoops that one must jump through in order to get a permit to exercise what should be a fundamental right. You don't need to get a background check, fingerprints and permit to post something on the Internet, or call a radio talk show or write a letter to the editor. You shouldn't need one to protect yourself, either, but these permits are the practical reality at this point in time.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Incrementally deconstructing Virginia's training requirements, and otherwise reducing the bar to obtaining a VA permit as a back door path to "Constitutional Carry", has the unintended consequence of reducing the number of states that will accept a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit for reciprocity purposes. Delaware just dropped Virginia reciprocity, allegedly due to Virginia's inadequate training requirement to obtain a permit.

If we want constitutional carry, and I certainly do, it would be better to simply allow carry in Virginia without a permit, but keep the permit process for those who want to obtain one for reciprocity with other states. Then make the Virginia permit a decent permit with realistic training requirements, perhaps even a photo, to maximize reciprocity with other states.

Just have an endorsement system on the CHPS. No Perks, Special Perks and full blown bent over for Bubba, outta state Perks.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

but these permits are the practical reality at this point in time.

You do realize you're on an open carry board and that there are no hoops to jump through and that OC is the REAL practical reality.....don't you instructor?

WhatTimeIsIt?

Well, I guess it's because we now live in a society where 'normal' firearms knowledge can't be assumed like it was back in the Framers' day. I'd rather error toward safety than constitutional correctness. My conviction has been reinforced after meeting a few gun show attendees who've boasted about having CHPs but admit they've never actually been to a range to draw the thing and hit something with it. And I want to have some measure of assurance that 'something' won't be an innocent bystander or even themselves. A tough course won't prohibit all accidents but at least it'll weed out the incompetents and deter those who merely want a concealed handgun for bragging rights.

Faster, safer and a deterrent.

Liberty (or constitutional correctness) and safety aren't at odds, they never are. There's nothing more dangerous than not having liberty. A government that claims the power to determine who can carry guns is far more dangerous than some folks carrying concealed without adequate training. It isn't right, or consistent with liberty, to demand that someone else do something (get firearms safety training, or even get a CHP at all) by threat of force (passing a law that requires them to do it, or face punishment) before they do something that, by itself, causes no injury to another person (carry a concealed pistol).

Thundar

You do realize you're on an open carry board and that there are no hoops to jump through and that OC is the REAL practical reality.....don't you instructor?

Somebody better put on a flameproof suit.

This proposed change is classic C2I2 pocket lining. (C2I2 = Concealed Carry Instruction Industry - NRA is the C2I2 Godfather)

It has a chance of passing because P4P is OK for some gunowners.

This year should be Constitutional Carry or BUST! Won't happen here because too many worry about expanding P4P instead of fighting for our rights.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Somebody better put on a flameproof suit.

This proposed change is classic C2I2 pocket lining. (C2I2 = Concealed Carry Instruction Industry - NRA is the C2I2 Godfather)

It has a chance of passing because P4P is OK for some gunowners.

This year should be Constitutional Carry or BUST! Won't happen here because too many worry about expanding P4P instead of fighting for our rights.

The biggest problem I see Thundar is that Instructors (I exclude the few good ones like Proshooter) look at this and say:

"Thars Gold in them thar Bills"

Last edited: