• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An interesting twist regarding recent ruling

boyscout399

Here's a thought. The 7th Circuit gave Illinois 180 days to craft a CCW bill before the ban on carrying is voided. What if everyone calls their reps and tells them to OPPOSE any CCW bill that comes through? Could you guys initiate Constitutional Carry through a stalled Legislative branch? Liberals are likely to oppose the CCW bill on principle right? So if you guys can rally Conservatives to also oppose the bill, then the 180 day stay will expire and the ban on carrying will be lifted with no replacement. Constitutional Carry by default. Fight over, you win.

Superlite27

It's not "just a thought". It is reality.

As I have pointed out in another thread, pay attention to the likelihood that all the folks ranting against CCW laws in Illinois will suddenly become their biggest supporters.

If Illinois pro-2A politicians are worth their salt, they'll not pass any legislation, resulting in constitutional carry (as bans on carrying become null, and any laws forbidding it become unconstitutional.). There is a slight question about Illinois being a "home rule" state, but I fail to see any exception to laws against carry becoming invalid. The ruling doesn't except counties or cities from this ruling, therefore, home rule or not, ANY law forbidding carry of any type would be invalidated. Hence: Constitutional carry.

However, one frightening aspect I keep noticing is the tendency of everyone to remark; "When Illinois passes a CCW law.......etc.".

WHAT? Can't people come to terms with freedom? It's as if someone has struck off the chains and yelled, "ATTENTION SLAVES! YOU ARE NOW FREE!"

...only to observe them begin discussions on how to forge more comfortable chains and how tightly the new one's should fit.

Well, if folks can't stand COMPLETE FREEDOM, and insist upon crafting CCW legislation to regulate something that will become completely unregulated....

...hopefully, the Illinois pro-2A politicians will see that they can hold anti-gun politicians feet to the fire upon threat of the 180 days expiring.

If Illinois fails to get "shall issue", full pre-emption, national reciprocity, no training requirement, and myriads of other "comfortable shackles" in the CCW legislation they seem intent on restricting themselves with...

...it will be only because they are stupid, or not as "pro-2A" as they say they are.

Last edited:

OC for ME

From the Illinois Constitution:
SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS. - Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
No CCW caveat as there is in Missouri.....lucky. Good luck Illini!!

junglebob

It's not "just a thought". It is reality.

As I have pointed out in another thread, pay attention to the likelihood that all the folks ranting against CCW laws in Illinois will suddenly become their biggest supporters.

If Illinois pro-2A politicians are worth their salt, they'll not pass any legislation, resulting in constitutional carry (as bans on carrying become null, and any laws forbidding it become unconstitutional.). There is a slight question about Illinois being a "home rule" state, but I fail to see any exception to laws against carry becoming invalid. The ruling doesn't except counties or cities from this ruling, therefore, home rule or not, ANY law forbidding carry of any type would be invalidated. Hence: Constitutional carry.

However, one frightening aspect I keep noticing is the tendency of everyone to remark; "When Illinois passes a CCW law.......etc.".

WHAT? Can't people come to terms with freedom? It's as if someone has struck off the chains and yelled, "ATTENTION SLAVES! YOU ARE NOW FREE!"

...only to observe them begin discussions on how to forge more comfortable chains and how tightly the new one's should fit.

Well, if folks can't stand COMPLETE FREEDOM, and insist upon crafting CCW legislation to regulate something that will become completely unregulated....

...hopefully, the Illinois pro-2A politicians will see that they can hold anti-gun politicians feet to the fire upon threat of the 180 days expiring.

If Illinois fails to get "shall issue", full pre-emption, national reciprocity, no training requirement, and myriads of other "comfortable shackles" in the CCW legislation they seem intent on restricting themselves with...

...it will be only because they are stupid, or not as "pro-2A" as they say they are.

If no carry bill passes I can see Chicago and a lot of anti-gun cities passing some ordinances on carry, very onerous ones. I can only guess the number of restrictions they could come up with. It would be something like the Chicago Firearm Permit that they passed after the handgun ban was overturned. It has requirements like range time, but ordinances prohibit a civilian range in Chicago, special instructors for courses not just ordinary NRA instructors. What they would come up with would be a night mare for legal gun owners wanting to carry I have no doubt. Even some of us in Illinois far from Chicago could be effected as any home rule city, and there are a lot, might be tempted to pass something. Where I live in Southern Illinois, south of I64, I don't know of any city with restrictions on transport more strict than state law, no registration silliness like Chicago, no firearms permit for a city. I don't want that to change.

I'm not saying those of us who want to carry will accept any crappy may issue bill Chicago legislators may come up with. We'll be pressuring our legislators to pass a good bill or nothing.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If no carry bill passes I can see Chicago and a lot of anti-gun cities passing some ordinances on carry, very onerous ones. I can only guess the number of restrictions they could come up with. It would be something like the Chicago Firearm Permit that they passed after the handgun ban was overturned. It has requirements like range time, but ordinances prohibit a civilian range in Chicago, special instructors for courses not just ordinary NRA instructors. What they would come up with would be a night mare for legal gun owners wanting to carry I have no doubt. Even some of us in Illinois far from Chicago could be effected as any home rule city, and there are a lot, might be tempted to pass something. Where I live in Southern Illinois, south of I64, I don't know of any city with restrictions on transport more strict than state law, no registration silliness like Chicago, no firearms permit for a city. I don't want that to change.

I'm not saying those of us who want to carry will accept any crappy may issue bill Chicago legislators may come up with. We'll be pressuring our legislators to pass a good bill or nothing.

Where I lived, just a few miles outside chicago, people carried .. and the DA did nothing about it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

I wondered if I was the only person on the planet who noticed this.

lockman

State Researcher
I wondered if I was the only person on the planet who noticed this.

Yes, oddly your summary seems to fit. It appears after the chains are severed completely in June 2013, there is a fear the patchwork of local laws will make the exercise of RTC impossible. They fail to see a few more years of litigation may very well pay off with much less regulation. If they pass a LTC, I am sure OC will not be any part of it and the court actions will continue.

If we get OC & CC, and an unlicensed travelers/auto exemption I would take the legislation otherwise I would like to call the bluff. The ride over the cliff might be an exciting, fulfilling one at that.