• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal without permit at work if okay with owner?

remijenkins

My question is this, I am aware that on private property you own you are allowed to conceal a firearm without a permit but are you allowed to conceal a firearm while at work if it's privately owned and the owner says it's okay and it be legal? I am a delivery driver and had someone attempt to force my car off the road and ended up in a 15 minute chase almost. The whole time I was on the phone with 911 and the dispatcher would not dispatch an officer to assist me. While on the phone I was giving him turn by turn directions of where I was and where I was going, turning on this street this direction. He waited to dispatch and officer after I managed to get away. Since then I have carried while in my car but the owner doesn't want me to open carry in the restaurant. I don't feel like getting a CWP since I would never CC and every year they seem to be relaxing NC laws regarding carrying firearms anyways. One day we may be like NH or Alaska and be allowed to CC without it.

dmatting

Unless there is a provision in another chapter or section, the law regarding concealed weapons and handguns (14-269) only mentions that you are allowed to conceal without a license if you are on your own property. It makes no mention of concealing while on someone else's property with their permission. I interpret that as meaning you are SOL in this instance if he doesn't want you to OC.

§ 14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:

(1) The person is on the person's own premises.

(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24, and the person is carrying the concealed handgun in accordance with the scope of the concealed handgun permit as set out in G.S. 14‑415.11(c).

(3) The deadly weapon is a handgun and the person is a military permittee as defined under G.S. 14‑415.10(2a) who provides to the law enforcement officer proof of deployment as required under G.S. 14‑415.11(a).

(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:

(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;

(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United States;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the National Guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;

(4a) Any person who is a district attorney, an assistant district attorney, or an investigator employed by the office of a district attorney and who has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24; provided that the person shall not carry a concealed weapon at any time while in a courtroom or while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the person's body. The district attorney, assistant district attorney, or investigator shall secure the weapon in a locked compartment when the weapon is not on the person of the district attorney, assistant district attorney, or investigator;

(4b) Any person who meets all of the following conditions:

a. Is a qualified retired law enforcement officer as defined in G.S. 14‑415.10.

b. Is the holder of a concealed handgun permit in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter.

c. Is certified by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission pursuant to G.S. 14‑415.26;

(4c) Detention personnel or correctional officers employed by the State or a unit of local government who park a vehicle in a space that is authorized for their use in the course of their duties may transport a firearm to the parking space and store that firearm in the vehicle parked in the parking space, provided that: (i) the firearm is in a closed compartment or container within the locked vehicle, or (ii) the firearm is in a locked container securely affixed to the vehicle;

(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body;

(6) State probation or parole certified officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body.

WalkingWolf

I am not a fan of permission/privilege cards, but in your case you should get one. Then you do not need the owners permission unless the business is posted, unless alcohol is sold and consumed on premiss.

NC-Heel

The question would be the definition of ones own premises. Most people believe that implies ownership. I don't own my property, the bank does. What about someone who rents, can they legally conceal? Most people do not own the building where their business is, they lease. Is it their premises? Could your place of employment be considered your premises?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Get a permit & cc at work within the law. Consider yourself lucky to work somewhere that allows you to carry. Most people have to violate their employer's company policy on weapons in order to CC at work.

The benefits of that permit far outweigh any potential downside. Even if you plan to OC the majority of the time when not working, its still worth it. Much better to get the permit & carry at work than to stubbornly refuse to get the permit & not be armed when you could do so with your employer's blessing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk