• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal question regarding gun ownership.

crossfireltd

I have a good friend that was convicted of a misdemeanor/domestic violence charge (no domestic violence involved). Can he own a firearm in the state of Virginia after a waiting period? If so how would he go about getting his right to own/carry a firearm?
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I have a good friend that was convicted of a misdemeanor/domestic violence charge (no domestic violence involved). Can he own a firearm in the state of Virginia after a waiting period? If so how would he go about getting his right to own/carry a firearm?

How was he convicted of domestic violence if there was no domestic violence involved?

crossfireltd

How was he convicted of domestic violence if there was no domestic violence involved?

The incident involved him disciplining his teenage son, the son called the police and alledged that his father punched him. This happened about 10 years ago. I know that he is a good guy and the incident did not happen the way the son indicated, but I was not present either. He went to court and pleaded (poor legal advice) to domestic violence and was charged with a misdemeanor and had to take anger management classes and did not serve any jail time. His attorney advised him that he would never be able to own a firearm in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
His attorney advised him that he would never be able to own a firearm in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

I'm sure that one of our esteemed attorneys will jump in here, but ownership and possession are 2 different things. I can own a home in a state I dont live in. I can own a car and not have a license. Someone can own a firearm, but not be allowed to possess it or have it under their control.

Your friend can't possess a firearm with a DV conviction. Do a search here. User explained it not too long ago better than I can.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The incident involved him disciplining his teenage son, the son called the police and alledged that his father punched him. This happened about 10 years ago. I know that he is a good guy and the incident did not happen the way the son indicated, but I was not present either. He went to court and pleaded (poor legal advice) to domestic violence and was charged with a misdemeanor and had to take anger management classes and did not serve any jail time. His attorney advised him that he would never be able to own a firearm in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

This is a question for User and I recommend calling him.
There is a lot of maybe in that question and he's explained it...I just didn't pay any attention to it since my children were perfect and I didn't have to beat them:uhoh:

From what I remember there is no law titled "Domestic Violence in VA" so.....
The answer is maybe...ask Dan!

KBCraig

He pleaded guilty, thus was convicted of a misdemeanor, for an incident involving (even if it really didn't) violence or a threat of violence against an immediate family member.

Sorry. His right to possess a firearm is the same as Charles Manson's.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He pleaded guilty, thus was convicted of a misdemeanor, for an incident involving (even if it really didn't) violence or a threat of violence against an immediate family member.

Sorry. His right to possess a firearm is the same as Charles Manson's.

Not necessarily and that's why I told him to talk to an Dan Hawes who is an attorney. It depends on WHAT he was convicted of. It could have just been simple assault.

User Wrote:
There is no such thing as a "crime of domestic violence" per se in Virginia. Assault never involves violence, since no touching of any kind is required for a conviction, and battery only necessitates the slightest touch that constitutes "the unprivileged, offensive touching of the person of another without legal cause, justification, or excuse." Violence is not an element of the crime defined by 18.2-57.2.

However, it is my understanding that some police agencies are ignoring the law on this point and assuming that they can arrest someone (with an eye to railroading him into a felony conviction) merely because of a conviction for domestic assault and firearms possession. This should not be necessary, but in order to eliminate that risk, one should file a petition for declaratory judgment that he is not prohibited from possession on account of that conviction.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry I'm late - my keyboard borked. The new one came borked. I'm now typing on the third replacement keyboard. It seems to be working.

How about we just look at what BATFEieio has to say about the subject? http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/misdemeanor-domestic-violence.html

Q: What is a “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence?”A “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” means an offense that:

1. is a misdemeanor under Federal or State law;
  2. has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon; and
  3. was committed by a current or former spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim.
However, a person is not considered to have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence unless:

1. the person was represented by counsel in the case, or knowingly and intelligently waived the right of counsel in the case; and
  2. in the case of a prosecution for which a person was entitled to a jury trial in the jurisdiction in which the case was tried, either —
    1. the case was tried by a jury, or
    2. the person knowingly and intelligently waived the right to have the case tried by a jury, by guilty plea or otherwise.
In addition, a conviction would not be disabling if it has been expunged or set aside, or is an offense for which the person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored (if the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held provides for the loss of civil rights upon conviction for such an offense) unless the pardon, expunction, or restoration of civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms, and the person is not otherwise prohibited by the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held from receiving or possessing firearms.
[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(33), 27 CFR 478.11]

So - based on the very little information provided, it appears the OP's good friend is a prohibited person.

And a note for you who have been championing that there is no crime labled "domestic violence" in Virginia - go back and read the above from BATFEieio again.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry, but no: it depends on the elements of the event.

Skidmark weighed in with the correct info before I saw your reply; the name of the charge doesn't matter, only the elements and the relationship.

Just pointing to what's been posted by qualified people KB, and suggesting he contact the person who posted it....who is a Virginia attorney.

At least Skid posted a cite.

We don't have any details of the case or if he was really convicted or if the case was postponed for a year and dismissed after taking his anger management classes. That's pretty common in those cases.
In short NO ONE HERE INCLUDING THE OP. KNOWS WHAT HE WAS CHARGED WITH OR CONVICTED OF.

The OP asked if the friend could own a firearm. That covers a lot of territory because he COULD own a Muzzle Loader under Federal law....but depending on the charge, maybe not under Virginia law.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Most importantly, we don't know what state the conviction occurred in; hence whether Virginia law applies or not.