Thread: Delaware has dropped Virginia

Delaware has dropped Virginia

http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/...dweapons.shtml

Saw this on some other round. Apparently due to online training. I didn't have time to go through it all but I figured it to be a worthy item to share.

Delaware has a more rigorous training requirement than we do here (e.g. live fire, 100 rnds).

They also prohibit anyone who has ever been treated in a mental institution from possessing a concealed handgun, vs our "...within the previous 5 years..." requirement. As I read the Delaware statute, even someone who had a history of mental illness in-patient treatment and met the CHP requirement here could still be prohibited from carry there, even if VA's CHP were honored, unless they permittee has been cleared by a competent professional. (They use the word "committed", but don't specify voluntary or involuntary.)

Delaware doesn't sound as "carry friendly" as we are.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Delaware has a more rigorous training requirement than we do here (e.g. live fire, 100 rnds).

They also prohibit anyone who has ever been treated in a mental institution from possessing a concealed handgun, vs our "...within the previous 5 years..." requirement. As I read the Delaware statute, even someone who had a history of mental illness in-patient treatment and met the CHP requirement here could still be prohibited from carry there, even if VA's CHP were honored, unless they permittee has been cleared by a competent professional. (They use the word "committed", but don't specify voluntary or involuntary.)

Delaware doesn't sound as "carry friendly" as we are.
    That's awful....wait

Isn't that north of the Ni. Oh, I don't have a CHP for them to not honor anyway
    Last edited by peter nap; 12-14-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Thankfully, I took Phillip's Utah class at Lafayette a year or so ago...FLA is also still recognized for those that have them as well!

http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/...dweapons.shtml

How long is the process for the FL permit? I'll be driving down there in March.

Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    I think proshooter has a class coming up sometime soon.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    If you have an existing Virginia CHP and have taken coursework from an NRA certified instructor to meet your Virginia CHP training requirements, you should be eligible for an Arizona concealed weapons permit (yes, it is a concealed weapons permit you pestering ninnies. ). According to the link provided above, Delaware does recognize the Arizona permit, and from my recollection the Arizona permit is only about $50 and is generally a quick turnaround permit.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    If you have an existing Virginia CHP and have taken coursework from an NRA certified instructor to meet your Virginia CHP training requirements, you should be eligible for an Arizona concealed weapons permit (yes, it is a concealed weapons permit you pestering ninnies. ). According to the link provided above, Delaware does recognize the Arizona permit, and from my recollection the Arizona permit is only about $50 and is generally a quick turnaround permit.
    This is really sad!

You don't need a permit to conceal in Arizona but a Virginian needs an Arizona permit to conceal in Delaware.

Founder's Club Member
    Yep, pretty sad indeed. It's my understanding based on memory that one can openly carry in Delaware without a permit, except for in the city of Dover. I think Delaware may have some prohibitions on the possession of firearms in the proximity of certain places as well without a permit, but I don't recall what they are. I don't go to Delaware, but I have looked over their laws in times past.

It's my understanding based on memory that one can openly carry in Delaware without a permit,
    There you go, problem solved!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I think proshooter has a class coming up sometime soon.
    I always have SOME kind of class coming up!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

It doesn't necessarily have to be NRA instructor....the fact that the VA permit required training is all that AZ is looking for.
    States donít have rights. People do.

Another thing to beware of in Delaware is red light traffic cameras if you get caught in that ripoff it costs $120 to pay the fine online.

Thanks or the info. At $50 ill be acquiring the AZ permit ASAP.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm originally from Delaware and planned on visiting after New Years. Guess that's up in the air now.

Founder's Club Member
    You're welcome skew.

Anyone in NoVA (around Alexandria, Fairfax, etc) have an Instructor they can recommend for a Utah permit?

I'm originally from Delaware but they don't offer non-resident permits, and are very picky (honestly worse than MD picky) when it comes to even a resident permit.. Which due to circumstance 1 I cannot even apply for.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by wootizzle View Post
    Anyone in NoVA (around Alexandria, Fairfax, etc) have an Instructor they can recommend for a Utah permit?

I'm originally from Delaware but they don't offer non-resident permits, and are very picky (honestly worse than MD picky) when it comes to even a resident permit.. Which due to circumstance 1 I cannot even apply for.
    I'll recommend my company, Proactive Shooters. We have taught the Utah permit class since 2008 and quite often get many students from Nova. Our next Utah permit class is Jan. 27 and you can register on our website, www.ProactiveShooters.com. We do the class at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, right off of Rt. 95.

Perhaps some of our former students from here can offer a review of their impressions of the class.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 12-23-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I'll recommend my company, Proactive Shooters. We have taught the Utah permit class since 2008 and quite often get many students from Nova. Our next Utah permit class is Jan. 27 and you can register on our website, www.ProactiveShooters.com. We do the class at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, right off of Rt. 95.

Perhaps some of our former students from here can offer a review of their impressions of the class.
    Not on the Utah class but in general, Proactive's classes are among the best in Virginia. Very complete, seem to flow and more important, they meet all the requirements needed which unfortunately, not all classes offered by some in the past have done.
    I've taken his classes and was impressed with the professionalism.

Still a shame people have to jump through these hoops to carry in Delaware or for that matter, anywhere.
    Makes you want to stay south of the Ni.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wootizzle View Post

You could PM forum member Pourshot. I'm pretty sure he regularly offers a Utah class. He's close but not in NoVA, so its not guaranteed y'all could transact, but it doesn't hurt to ask him.
    Last edited by Citizen; 12-23-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.