• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Delaware has dropped Virginia

2a4all

Delaware has a more rigorous training requirement than we do here (e.g. live fire, 100 rnds).

They also prohibit anyone who has ever been treated in a mental institution from possessing a concealed handgun, vs our "...within the previous 5 years..." requirement. As I read the Delaware statute, even someone who had a history of mental illness in-patient treatment and met the CHP requirement here could still be prohibited from carry there, even if VA's CHP were honored, unless they permittee has been cleared by a competent professional. (They use the word "committed", but don't specify voluntary or involuntary.)

Delaware doesn't sound as "carry friendly" as we are.:cry:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Delaware has a more rigorous training requirement than we do here (e.g. live fire, 100 rnds).

They also prohibit anyone who has ever been treated in a mental institution from possessing a concealed handgun, vs our "...within the previous 5 years..." requirement. As I read the Delaware statute, even someone who had a history of mental illness in-patient treatment and met the CHP requirement here could still be prohibited from carry there, even if VA's CHP were honored, unless they permittee has been cleared by a competent professional. (They use the word "committed", but don't specify voluntary or involuntary.)

Delaware doesn't sound as "carry friendly" as we are.:cry:

That's awful....wait

Isn't that north of the Ni. Oh, I don't have a CHP for them to not honor anyway:lol::banana::lol::monkey

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
How long is the process for the FL permit? I'll be driving down there in March.

If you have an existing Virginia CHP and have taken coursework from an NRA certified instructor to meet your Virginia CHP training requirements, you should be eligible for an Arizona concealed weapons permit (yes, it is a concealed weapons permit you pestering ninnies. :) ). According to the link provided above, Delaware does recognize the Arizona permit, and from my recollection the Arizona permit is only about $50 and is generally a quick turnaround permit.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you have an existing Virginia CHP and have taken coursework from an NRA certified instructor to meet your Virginia CHP training requirements, you should be eligible for an Arizona concealed weapons permit (yes, it is a concealed weapons permit you pestering ninnies. :) ). According to the link provided above, Delaware does recognize the Arizona permit, and from my recollection the Arizona permit is only about $50 and is generally a quick turnaround permit.

This is really sad!

You don't need a permit to conceal in Arizona but a Virginian needs an Arizona permit to conceal in Delaware.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Yep, pretty sad indeed. It's my understanding based on memory that one can openly carry in Delaware without a permit, except for in the city of Dover. I think Delaware may have some prohibitions on the possession of firearms in the proximity of certain places as well without a permit, but I don't recall what they are. I don't go to Delaware, but I have looked over their laws in times past.

mrjam2jab

It doesn't necessarily have to be NRA instructor....the fact that the VA permit required training is all that AZ is looking for.

taurusfan

Another thing to beware of in Delaware is red light traffic cameras if you get caught in that ripoff it costs $120 to pay the fine online.

skew12

Thanks or the info. At $50 ill be acquiring the AZ permit ASAP.

wootizzle

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm originally from Delaware and planned on visiting after New Years. Guess that's up in the air now.

wootizzle

Anyone in NoVA (around Alexandria, Fairfax, etc) have an Instructor they can recommend for a Utah permit?

I'm originally from Delaware but they don't offer non-resident permits, and are very picky (honestly worse than MD picky) when it comes to even a resident permit.. Which due to circumstance 1 I cannot even apply for.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Anyone in NoVA (around Alexandria, Fairfax, etc) have an Instructor they can recommend for a Utah permit?

I'm originally from Delaware but they don't offer non-resident permits, and are very picky (honestly worse than MD picky) when it comes to even a resident permit.. Which due to circumstance 1 I cannot even apply for.

I'll recommend my company, Proactive Shooters. We have taught the Utah permit class since 2008 and quite often get many students from Nova. Our next Utah permit class is Jan. 27 and you can register on our website, www.ProactiveShooters.com. We do the class at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, right off of Rt. 95.

Perhaps some of our former students from here can offer a review of their impressions of the class.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll recommend my company, Proactive Shooters. We have taught the Utah permit class since 2008 and quite often get many students from Nova. Our next Utah permit class is Jan. 27 and you can register on our website, www.ProactiveShooters.com. We do the class at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, right off of Rt. 95.

Perhaps some of our former students from here can offer a review of their impressions of the class.

Not on the Utah class but in general, Proactive's classes are among the best in Virginia. Very complete, seem to flow and more important, they meet all the requirements needed which unfortunately, not all classes offered by some in the past have done.
I've taken his classes and was impressed with the professionalism.

Still a shame people have to jump through these hoops to carry in Delaware or for that matter, anywhere.
Makes you want to stay south of the Ni.:lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

You could PM forum member Pourshot. I'm pretty sure he regularly offers a Utah class. He's close but not in NoVA, so its not guaranteed y'all could transact, but it doesn't hurt to ask him.

Last edited: