• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting reported at Connecticut elementary school 12/14/12

Minnesota

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14/shooting-reported-at-connecticut-elementary-school/?hpt=us_c2

"December 14th, 2012
10:30 AM ET
Share this on: Facebook Twitter Digg del.icio.us reddit MySpace StumbleUpon Shooting reported at Connecticut elementary school
Breaking news coming in - Connecticut State Police are responding to reports of a shooting at a Newtown elementary school in southwestern Connecticut, according to police spokesman Lt. Paul Vance.

We'll bring you more details as soon as we get them.

Our affiliates in the area are saying the school is the Sandy Hook Elementary School.

WTNH says all schools in the area are on lockdown. WFSB added that afternoon kindergarten was being canceled."

Any more info on this? Hope all goes well for the school kids!

motoxmann

a little more info:
http://gma.yahoo.com/breaking-conn-...ng-report-151955384--abc-news-topstories.html

A shooting involving two gunmen erupted at a Connecticut elementary school this morning, prompting the town of Newtown to lock down all of its schools and draw SWAT teams to the school, authorities said today.

State Police confirm that one shooter is dead. A second gunman is apparently at large, sources told ABC News.

The shooting occurred at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, about 12 miles east of Danbury.

State Police received the first 911 call at 9:41a.m. and immediately began sending emergency units from the western part of the state. Initial 911 calls stated that multiple students were trapped in a classroom, possibly with a gunman, according to a Connecticut State Police source.

A photo from the scene shows a line of distressed children being led out of the school.

While some students have been reunited with their parents on the school's perimeter, one group of students remains unaccounted for, according to a source with a child in the school.

Newton Public School District secretary of superintendent Kathy June said in a statement that the district's school were locked down because of the report of a shooting. "The district is taking preventive measures by putting all schools in lockdown until we ensure the safety of all students and staff."

State police sent SWAT team units to Newtown.

All public and private schools in the town are on lockdown.

State emergency management officials said ambulances and other units were also en route and staging near the school.

A message on the school district website says that all afternoon kindergarten is cancelled today and there will be no mid-day bus runs.

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

My kid's school sent out an email blast earlier stating outdoor activities have been cancelled for the students and all exterior doors to the school have been double checked to make sure they are locked (I don't understand how this will help as the shooter in Newtown seems to have been a parent). I'm surprised as we live roughly 30-40 minutes from where the shooting occurred. It must be a CT wide alert that goes out to all the schools in an event like this.

I'm so saddened to hear about all of this....I just can't wrap my head around it.

WalkingWolf

My kid's school sent out an email blast earlier stating outdoor activities have been cancelled for the students and all exterior doors to the school have been double checked to make sure they are locked (I don't understand how this will help as the shooter in Newtown seems to have been a parent). I'm surprised as we live roughly 30-40 minutes from where the shooting occurred. It must be a CT wide alert that goes out to all the schools in an event like this.

I'm so saddened to hear about all of this....I just can't wrap my head around it.

Where did you hear it was a parent? Please, if you are a police officer you know better than throwing Bovine Scat, if you have a citation please put it up. Otherwise you are just guessing, let the real police do their work before making caca up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Total 27 dead

A gunman opened fire inside a Connecticut elementary school Friday, killing 26 people, including 18 children, and forcing students to cower in classrooms and then flee with the help of teachers and police.

The death toll was given to The Associated Press by an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way.
The shooting appeared to be the nation's second-deadliest school shooting, exceeded only by the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007.

A law enforcement official...... said the attacker was a 20-year-old man with ties to the school and that one of the guns was a .223-caliber rifle.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_3f45c52c-4605-11e2-b560-0019bb30f31a.html

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Where did you hear it was a parent? Please, if you are a police officer you know better than throwing Bovine Scat, if you have a citation please put it up. Otherwise you are just guessing, let the real police do their work before making caca up.

My apologies to the board. That piece of information was on a initial report I saw (https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/279635401931628544), which has proven to be incorrect.

Last edited:

KainVictus

Guys I'm from the NC forum but I'm a naval air traffic controller who just wanted to send my condolences to the families and friends affected by this tragedy. My condolences to the people of the area and the people of the state as well.

P.s. I have slight sympathy for the hurt this will put on the 2A movement but please don't think that in any way outweighs the sadness an disgust I feel for what happened there.

Keep your chins held as high as possible. I will be lighting 27 candles tonight.

KainVictus

Repeal it? Do you realize what this in conjunction with the dark knight rises shooting could begin? I give it between 6 months and 2 years for this to spawn anti gun acts and the revocation of our 2A rights.

WalkingWolf

Repeal it? Do you realize what this in conjunction with the dark knight rises shooting could begin? I give it between 6 months and 2 years for this to spawn anti gun acts and the revocation of our 2A rights.

Unless the courts change they will be wasting their time, Chicago and Obama was just handed a defeat in federal courts. Hopefully the conservative justices can hold out for four more years. The only reason we have not been slammed with new gun control laws are the courts.

Shawn Mitola

Here is what can be confirmed so far. My wife is a first responder and was on scene during the beginning of this tragedy. One shooter Adam Lanza who's mother is a teacher at the school went into his mothers classroom with 2 pistols and open fired killing his mother and throughout the massacre killed 20 children and 6 adults total. He was also found dead at the scene. Adam's brother Ryan is apparently in custody but its not clear why. Police did apparently find a rifle in the back of a car in the parking lot. There are also 2 more deaths related to this one is the shooters father in NJ and the other is an unidentified woman who was found shot in the face in a home that the Bomb squad went to... unsure what that is about.

Firearms Iinstuctor

My condolences to the families and friends affected by this tragedy. My condolences to the people of the area and the people of the state as well.

That said it makes me so mad that these victims had no chance to defend themselfs and were slaughtered.

All the policy makers who have forced these gun free victim zones on us have blood on their hands today.

motoxmann

Here is what can be confirmed so far. My wife is a first responder and was on scene during the beginning of this tragedy. One shooter Adam Lanza who's mother is a teacher at the school went into his mothers classroom with 2 pistols and open fired killing his mother and throughout the massacre killed 20 children and 6 adults total. He was also found dead at the scene. Adam's brother Ryan is apparently in custody but its not clear why. Police did apparently find a rifle in the back of a car in the parking lot. There are also 2 more deaths related to this one is the shooters father in NJ and the other is an unidentified woman who was found shot in the face in a home that the Bomb squad went to... unsure what that is about.

I don't recall which source said it, but at some point an LEO stated Adam's girlfriend and another friend of his are missing. I'm guessing the woman found dead is his girlfriend.

early reports stated Ryan (24 years old, the older brother) was the shooter. then it was corrected and stated as misidentification, and that the shooter was in fact Adam (20, the younger brother).
it's also been reported that the bomb squad is a part of the investigation at multiple residences Adam is linked to, though there's nothing official on that, nor is there any reports of anything bomb-related