Thread: Will now be able to carry in pfz ?

Will now be able to carry in pfz ?

From what i have heard reported on tv if this law is signed and once it goes into effect any of the places you would be able to carry cc now is they have the right to post a no weapons allowed sign to prevent you from entering with a weapon including schools. if so nothing was gained

The bill - part of a broader effort to modernize the concealed pistol license law - would let CPL (concealed pistol license) holders with additional training carry their guns in existing "gun-free" zones, though those places could decide on their own to post signs prohibiting the guns under existing trespass laws.

As a result, private and public property owners in those zones - bar owners, churches, schools, hospitals, day care centers - and public universities could essentially opt to prohibit guns if they want to.
    Last edited by bossbart; 12-14-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Re: Will now be able to carry in pfz ?

essentially, all SB 59 does with regard to signs is state that nothing in this section "prohibits" a property from posting no gun signs. basically it says nothing with regard to no guns signs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Mosnar87 View Post
    essentially, all SB 59 does with regard to signs is state that nothing in this section "prohibits" a property from posting no gun signs. basically it says nothing with regard to no guns signs.

The bill - part of a broader effort to modernize the concealed pistol license law - would let CPL (concealed pistol license) holders with additional training carry their guns in existing "gun-free" zones, though those places could decide on their own to post signs prohibiting the guns under existing trespass laws.

As a result, private and public property owners in those zones - bar owners, churches, schools, hospitals, day care centers - and public universities could essentially opt to prohibit guns if they want to.

Re: Will now be able to carry in pfz ?

Ahh... The media's interpretation... Read the actual text of SB-59 H-4. my conclusions are drawn from the wording in the law, I believe the reporters are reading the summary.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by bossbart View Post
    those places could decide on their own to post signs prohibiting the guns under existing trespass laws.
    There is no new sign language in the law. Where are you getting this? (Any business could always have posted signs, but they don't hold the force of law and nothing in SB59 changes that).
    Not public schools. Not public property, either. Preemption covers public property, and nothing in SB59-H4 changes what preemption covers.

Read the bill.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...-SEBH-0059.pdf
    Last edited by griffin; 12-14-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    I bet a few will try.
    +1

I think that it will obviously be tried by some schools, and the "offending party" will be trespassed. Wait who exactly will be carrying in schools? Teachers? no, they are employees so will not be able to, You really think that a school won't try to trespass someone? really?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    There is no new sign language in the law. Where are you getting this? (Any business could always have posted signs, but they don't hold the force of law and nothing in SB59 changes that).

Not public schools. Not public property, either. Preemption covers public property, and nothing in SB59-H4 changes what preemption covers.

Read the bill.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...-SEBH-0059.pdf

From mcrgo, a link to mlive.com

From mcrgo, a link to mlive.com
    mcrgo under state and national news, mlive.com

mcrgo under state and national news, mlive.com
    Post the link here. Or I can save you the trouble by telling you they are wrong if they actually state what you stated.

Here's what I read on one of the mlive links at MCRGO:

Private-property owners can still ban the weapons under trespass laws, but not schools and other public venues, said Ryan Mitchell, an aide to Green who worked closely on the legislation.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...michigans.html

And there was nothing about signage. So everything I said you were wrong on, you were wrong on.
    Last edited by griffin; 12-14-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels