• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will now be able to carry in pfz ?

bb

From what i have heard reported on tv if this law is signed and once it goes into effect any of the places you would be able to carry cc now is they have the right to post a no weapons allowed sign to prevent you from entering with a weapon including schools. if so nothing was gained

The bill - part of a broader effort to modernize the concealed pistol license law - would let CPL (concealed pistol license) holders with additional training carry their guns in existing "gun-free" zones, though those places could decide on their own to post signs prohibiting the guns under existing trespass laws.

As a result, private and public property owners in those zones - bar owners, churches, schools, hospitals, day care centers - and public universities could essentially opt to prohibit guns if they want to.

Last edited:

Mosnar87

essentially, all SB 59 does with regard to signs is state that nothing in this section "prohibits" a property from posting no gun signs. basically it says nothing with regard to no guns signs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

bb

essentially, all SB 59 does with regard to signs is state that nothing in this section "prohibits" a property from posting no gun signs. basically it says nothing with regard to no guns signs.

The bill - part of a broader effort to modernize the concealed pistol license law - would let CPL (concealed pistol license) holders with additional training carry their guns in existing "gun-free" zones, though those places could decide on their own to post signs prohibiting the guns under existing trespass laws.

As a result, private and public property owners in those zones - bar owners, churches, schools, hospitals, day care centers - and public universities could essentially opt to prohibit guns if they want to.

Mosnar87

Ahh... The media's interpretation... Read the actual text of SB-59 H-4. my conclusions are drawn from the wording in the law, I believe the reporters are reading the summary.

griffin

those places could decide on their own to post signs prohibiting the guns under existing trespass laws.
There is no new sign language in the law. Where are you getting this? (Any business could always have posted signs, but they don't hold the force of law and nothing in SB59 changes that).
Not public schools. Not public property, either. Preemption covers public property, and nothing in SB59-H4 changes what preemption covers.

Read the bill.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billengrossed/Senate/pdf/2011-SEBH-0059.pdf

Last edited:

Raggs

I bet a few will try.

+1

I think that it will obviously be tried by some schools, and the "offending party" will be trespassed. Wait who exactly will be carrying in schools? Teachers? no, they are employees so will not be able to, You really think that a school won't try to trespass someone? really?

bb

There is no new sign language in the law. Where are you getting this? (Any business could always have posted signs, but they don't hold the force of law and nothing in SB59 changes that).

Not public schools. Not public property, either. Preemption covers public property, and nothing in SB59-H4 changes what preemption covers.

Read the bill.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billengrossed/Senate/pdf/2011-SEBH-0059.pdf

From mcrgo, a link to mlive.com

griffin

mcrgo under state and national news, mlive.com

Post the link here. Or I can save you the trouble by telling you they are wrong if they actually state what you stated.

Here's what I read on one of the mlive links at MCRGO:

Private-property owners can still ban the weapons under trespass laws, but not schools and other public venues, said Ryan Mitchell, an aide to Green who worked closely on the legislation.
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/12/sweeping_changes_in_michigans.html

And there was nothing about signage. So everything I said you were wrong on, you were wrong on.

Last edited: