Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: CCW in an assembly where fee is charged.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    22

    Question CCW in an assembly where fee is charged.

    The law states:

    14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

    (b) This section shall not apply to the following:

    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

    (3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
    Has anyone tried getting permission from the owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment? If so what forms or documentation did you used as proof? I'm wondering about creating a document that I can print a bunch of copies from and try and get this "permission slip" signed by the owner or lessee. Let me know what did or didn't work.

  2. #2
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by JABEACHFAN View Post
    The law states:



    Has anyone tried getting permission from the owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment? If so what forms or documentation did you used as proof? I'm wondering about creating a document that I can print a bunch of copies from and try and get this "permission slip" signed by the owner or lessee. Let me know what did or didn't work.

    14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

    (b) This section shall not apply to the following:

    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

    (3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
    I think for #3 to be good, you will also need #4...which will be a bit harder to get happen unless you know the owner personally.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    I think for #3 to be good, you will also need #4...which will be a bit harder to get happen unless you know the owner personally.
    I don't know how to interpret #3 and #4. I would err on the side of caution but clearly this section needs to be reviewed and re written.

    I've seen people argue this both ways. So I'm wondering if anyone has consulted with a lawyer on the true definition and whether this is possible just by CCW permit holders and not trained security guards.

  4. #4
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by JABEACHFAN View Post
    I don't know how to interpret #3 and #4. I would err on the side of caution but clearly this section needs to be reviewed and re written.

    I've seen people argue this both ways. So I'm wondering if anyone has consulted with a lawyer on the true definition and whether this is possible just by CCW permit holders and not trained security guards.
    I think that #4 is pretty clear...the owner has to be willing to acknowledge in one manner or another that you are acting as a security guard on behalf of the owner/organizer of the event. IANAL...but I do read North Carolinian pert well. The CHP doesn't really convey any special powers.
    Last edited by carolina guy; 12-14-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    I think that #4 is pretty clear...the owner has to be willing to acknowledge in one manner or another that you are acting as a security guard on behalf of the owner/organizer of the event. IANAL...but I do read North Carolinian pert well. The CHP doesn't really convey any special powers.
    Now I'm really confused by what your saying. lets use a scenario.

    Tom has a CHP. If Tom gets written permission from the owner can he carry into the theater. Tom does not have any secrurity licenses or training.

    Is Tom allowed to carry into the theater.

    It is obvious to me that if Sam is a CHP holder and is a trained armed security guard. He is allowed to carry there with permission from the owner.

    My interpretation is why have item #3 if you must also comply with #4. My interpretation is that Tom would be allowed with just a CHP if he has perssion(now how easy or difficult that permission may be is a different topic for another day)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •