• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro Gun Club (Desert Hills) no longer allowing OC at the bar

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The new manager, despite no problems whatsoever, has decided to have a no-OC policy at the bar.

He doesn't care if you are drinking or not. There is no restriction on concealed carry while at the bar. He just up and decided to stop allowing OC at the bar. It became official posted policy today, even though I (as the most known OC'ing member) was informed last Saturday while there for the Army-Navy game.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That sucks. We used to like going there.

Yeah. I haven't decided what I will do about it yet. I really like the staff and service and fellow membership that I know there. I spend good money there.

Most of the membership is not affected, as they are shotgunners, or otherwise don't OC anyway. He's probably making a safe bet that it won't affect business.

He recently agreed to some terms that will greatly increase my ability to use the range for students, too, so this will be an interesting dilemma, but I know which way I am leaning... Damn. I really liked the place.

Last edited:

vegaspassat

I feel your pain mac. I hate having a repore (friendships really) with the staff of an establishment for so long only to be told that you arent welcome any longer. I would be more than happy to write a letter if you'd like. Just give me the details of membership and whatnot.

HankT

State Researcher
The new manager, despite no problems whatsoever, has decided to have a no-OC policy at the bar.

He doesn't care if you are drinking or not. There is no restriction on concealed carry while at the bar. He just up and decided to stop allowing OC at the bar. It became official posted policy today, even though I (as the most known OC'ing member) was informed last Saturday while there for the Army-Navy game.

What was his stated justification for continuing to allow CC while drinking at the bar? Did he say why he feels that CC is OK, while OC was not? Complaints, maybe?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What was his stated justification for continuing to allow CC while drinking at the bar? Did he say why he feels that CC is OK, while OC was not? Complaints, maybe?

He gave no reason. He doesn't interact much with the membership. I'd barely recognize him on sight. It was just passed to us through the staff, one of whom is a former student of mine and often OC's while working, including while tending the bar.

I can only assume he's an "out of sight, out of mind" person.

HankT

State Researcher
He gave no reason. He doesn't interact much with the membership. I'd barely recognize him on sight. It was just passed to us through the staff, one of whom is a former student of mine and often OC's while working, including while tending the bar.

I can only assume he's an "out of sight, out of mind" person.
He should at least explain the decision. Almost everyone affected will want to know why.

MP_4_Life

That is an interesting turn of events. Especially for a place that is known for guns. In my honest opinion, he probably made the choice based on the Connecticut shooting, and the whole "Out of sight, out of mind" being combined.

I honestly hope you can get him to change his mind Mac, but sadly I would consider it a lost cause.

Vegassteve

That is an interesting turn of events. Especially for a place that is known for guns. In my honest opinion, he probably made the choice based on the Connecticut shooting, and the whole "Out of sight, out of mind" being combined.

I honestly hope you can get him to change his mind Mac, but sadly I would consider it a lost cause.

Read Macs post this happened a week before conn.

Freedom1964

Hi Everyone,

Long time reader of OC threads but finally registered to begin giving my two cents. I recently shot at the Pro Gun Club (it's been a few months since I had been there last) and asked about the new policy. The response from one of the many friendly faces was that the manager had received numerous and constant complaints from "other members" who felt unsafe having someone sit at the bar while openly carrying their sidearm. According to the staff, CC is still perfectly fine and they have never had any issues with anyone who had been sitting at the bar but to calm the nerves of the members, this new rule was enacted.

Always liked going to this place, I just wish I can frequent more than once every other month. Hope this information answered some questions for you.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... the manager had received numerous and constant complaints from "other members" ....

Welcome, Freedom1964!

No one else seems to have heard these complaints or concerns. If the complaints had come from "other members" as so claimed, these members would KNOW that everyone is concealing anyway at such a facility patronized by gun enthusiasts.

So now, I spend far less time there than I used to. I am a big tipper. The bar, and especially the girls, have lost a lot of money (just from me) because of this policy. I used to drive out there just for the bar. Now, I'll actually leave there after using the facility, and go to PT's or the brewpub in Boulder City, where my firearm is as welcome as my money.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

Hi Everyone,

Long time reader of OC threads but finally registered to begin giving my two cents. I recently shot at the Pro Gun Club (it's been a few months since I had been there last) and asked about the new policy. The response from one of the many friendly faces was that the manager had received numerous and constant complaints from "other members" who felt unsafe having someone sit at the bar while openly carrying their sidearm. According to the staff, CC is still perfectly fine and they have never had any issues with anyone who had been sitting at the bar but to calm the nerves of the members, this new rule was enacted.

Always liked going to this place, I just wish I can frequent more than once every other month. Hope this information answered some questions for you.

This is what I call the ostrich syndrome, can't see it, it doesn't exist...

TBG

TrmptPlyr

Wow, this is too bad... Now I'm reconsidering joining... I was about to go join today since I live by black mountain and it's a far shorter drive than where I go on BLM land south of the strip... How is BRPC? And can you just walk in with a check and join and start shooting the same day? The BRPC website is confusing with the mandatory orientation... Feel free to PM me with info so this thread doesn't get OT...

The Big Guy

Wow, this is too bad... Now I'm reconsidering joining... I was about to go join today since I live by black mountain and it's a far shorter drive than where I go on BLM land south of the strip... How is BRPC? And can you just walk in with a check and join and start shooting the same day? The BRPC website is confusing with the mandatory orientation... Feel free to PM me with info so this thread doesn't get OT...

Boulder City has a public range. It's hours are posted on the web site. They have done lots of work over the last few years and it has become a very nice place to shoot. My memory is that there is an orientation on Saturday mornings. Last time I checed there was a $75.00 fee to join, then $75.00
per year thereafter. It's a good deal.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm the OP. Don't worry about a hijack.

BRPC really pissed me off last year and I didn't renew. I didn't brought students out there, because it is a non-commercial range, and I am not licensed in Boulder City. But I did a FREE class for the employees of a gun shop last year, and we went there to shoot. Not only did they kick me out for the day, even after acknowledging my intentions, but told me I had to go through orientation again (for purely punitive reasons). I never went back at all and did not renew my membership. It's their club. I may have been a little wrong, but they were A-HOLES about it.

And the range officer that day violated several NRA safety rules including sweeping both himself and me with his loaded unholstered sidearm. And it wasn't the first time. Some of their ROs have a bad reputation for safety, others for being dicks. But I'm the one that gets kicked out for the day. Mostly because I'm a nice guy that doesn't argue.

That said, I use to like their facility. My arrangement with Pro Gun Club allows me to bring students there and so I live with the disavantages, such as only one rifle bay that has to be shared. But they are growing constantly.

So to answer your question, you will not be able to shoot the day you join, unless you are the guest of another member, or you are using the Courtesy Range. Orientation is the first Saturday of every month (at least while they are still accepting applications (which is not all year).

Last edited:

TrmptPlyr

Mac, does the same day no range time apply to Pro Gun Club as well or just BRPC? If all else fails it's back to mile marker 12 today...