• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Very scary road rage incident.

csaunders

I found myself in a very unusual place last night. While taking my wife and kids out to eat we where on I-485 heading home. We wgere going about 75 in a 65 when a driver in a white car flew in behind us and started to flash his head lights. As I saw this I was about to respond and move over to let the driver over. before I had a chance got over to the right of us then proceeded to push my car into the side of the road then slam on his brakes to make us stop.

I'm lucky for a number reasons.

1.) I was not carrying my gun. This driver could of easily jumped out on us and branded a weapon and it could have jeopardized the life's of me, my wife and my 2 young children. He already showed blant disregard for human life so I am glad he didn't try to harm us further.

2.) Look for a way out. He had our car in such a angle that it prevented us from escaping. It could of ended up badly for us.

3.) Be aware and react accordingly. I was not suspecting this guy to try and harm us. I'm glad I was able to keep our car under control.

4.) ALWAYS CARRY YOUR GUN! If he jumped out with a weapon I would be totally defenseless. Thankfully he ran off leaving us on the side of the road.

We did call the police and they contacted us to highway patrol which hung up on us. (Surprise!)

We did call back after he exited exit 33 Harrisburg road and provide a license plate. The police issued a BOLO for this driver.

I could if easily been a victim this day. Thankfully it ended well.

ncwabbit

glad you survived your ordeal...however,,,,,

i understand your family was in the vehicle but there would have been a controlled accident i am afraid w/the aggressor taking the majority of the damage...
1) this precluded the idiot from leaving!
2) this would have precluded some other family from enduring the same fate

(before everyone gets jumping up and down...since the OP stopped his vehicle w/o a defensive capability within his grasp his family is in the more danger from dying from the aggressor's hand verses a controlled accident where the OP crashed into the aggressor!!)

right on about not having a firearm!!

wabbit

carolina guy

I found myself in a very unusual place last night. While taking my wife and kids out to eat we where on I-485 heading home. We wgere going about 75 in a 65 when a driver in a white car flew in behind us and started to flash his head lights. As I saw this I was about to respond and move over to let the driver over. before I had a chance got over to the right of us then proceeded to push my car into the side of the road then slam on his brakes to make us stop.

I'm lucky for a number reasons.

1.) I was not carrying my gun. This driver could of easily jumped out on us and branded a weapon and it could have jeopardized the life's of me, my wife and my 2 young children. He already showed blant disregard for human life so I am glad he didn't try to harm us further.

2.) Look for a way out. He had our car in such a angle that it prevented us from escaping. It could of ended up badly for us.

3.) Be aware and react accordingly. I was not suspecting this guy to try and harm us. I'm glad I was able to keep our car under control.

4.) ALWAYS CARRY YOUR GUN! If he jumped out with a weapon I would be totally defenseless. Thankfully he ran off leaving us on the side of the road.

We did call the police and they contacted us to highway patrol which hung up on us. (Surprise!)

We did call back after he exited exit 33 Harrisburg road and provide a license plate. The police issued a BOLO for this driver.

I could if easily been a victim this day. Thankfully it ended well.

Glad to hear you just had a scare and nothing worse! Mecklenburg county is getting outta control quickly.

I have had a similar incident (thankfully w/o the family) on that same stretch of 485. When I am driving, I am always ready to lose the car to protect myself and my family. A few of the would-be road ragers have found out that I am more than ready to knock them back to avoid being put into the same situation that you describe. Once they show they are a danger, I treat the entire car as a weapon and am ready to use it as such in self defense. If you are aware of the situation, a side impact is generally not too dangerous, but being forced off the road (or into a barrier) is VERY dangerous.

Of course, one thing to keep in mind is that when they are ahead or along side, your BRAKES are very effective. Stop short, and if you see the person exiting the vehicle with a weapon, run them over or throw it into reverse if you don't have room to exit. But, most of all, keep as much control of the situation as possible. And I am quite sure that in the future, you will have your sidearm with you? :)

remijenkins

I'm a delivery driver and something that happened last year pushed me to buying a sidearm. Someone tried to rob me. My situation a chase instead of face to face. In a situation where someone is trying to harm you and using their vehicle to cut you off, you need to know what a pit maneuver is and how to perform it. As a vehicle is coming at an angle in from of you, you need to use the corner of your bumper and place it on the backside of their rear tire, at this point turn into the direction of their car and floor it. Once their car begins to turn around your's, continue to turn your car into theirs which at this point should be towards the ditch. As their vehicle begins to face the opposite direction and starts sliding towards the ditch ease off the gas, steer your vehicle into the direction you wish to go and GO! I've used this once and it saved me. If they ever do manage to block your forward direction of travel, you have a reverse gear. Use it. You don't need some big powerful vehicle to do any of this. I was driving a Saab against a Mustang. Now I carry a 9mm Star BM and feel safer. You have to be willing to give something up to guarantee you will be home safe and if that means fixing a bumper, it's cheaper than a medical bill or head stone. You can always practice this time of maneuver using bumper cars or those little race cars at the local amusement park. Or buy 2 old beaters and really get some practice in. 911 will not always be able to help, you may get a lame dispatcher like I did or there may not be an officer close enough to assist you instantly. When I called 911 for my situation I was on the phone for 15 minutes before he dispatched an officer to assist me. He only did that after I told him they left. I even gave him turn by turn directions of where the chase was.