Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: I think it's time to have a serious discusiion....

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222

    I think it's time to have a serious discusiion....

    ...about the lack of armed personal in our schools. As a 2A advocate and even more so as a parent of two young children, I am sick and tired of "free kill zones" even existing. Had one, just ONE person been armed Friday at that school, with the right opportunity and a little marksmanship the majority of the tragedy could have been averted. What do you think would have happened if every teacher had been armed? What do you think would happen with these mass shootings if it became common knowledge that the staff are heavily armed and trained?

    Now the GFZ is bypassed by an individual having a permit. Ok so the federal law isn't stopping us. The KRS is written in such a manner than an individual can bring a firearm on the premises with permission, so the currently written law isn't stopping us.

    I want to know from those here that are closest to the legislative body, what kind of traction do you think that we could get with a law allowing weapons in our schools by personal only?

    What does everyone else think about this?

  2. #2
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfetteredMight View Post
    ...about the lack of armed personal in our schools. As a 2A advocate and even more so as a parent of two young children, I am sick and tired of "free kill zones" even existing. Had one, just ONE person been armed Friday at that school, with the right opportunity and a little marksmanship the majority of the tragedy could have been averted. What do you think would have happened if every teacher had been armed? What do you think would happen with these mass shootings if it became common knowledge that the staff are heavily armed and trained?

    Now the GFZ is bypassed by an individual having a permit. Ok so the federal law isn't stopping us. The KRS is written in such a manner than an individual can bring a firearm on the premises with permission, so the currently written law isn't stopping us.

    I want to know from those here that are closest to the legislative body, what kind of traction do you think that we could get with a law allowing weapons in our schools by personal only?

    What does everyone else think about this?
    I think this shooting will be the one the kills our gun rights. Obama said that it's time for leaders to take "meaningful action". You wanna take a guess on what his "meaningful action" is?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I think this shooting will be the one the kills our gun rights. Obama said that it's time for leaders to take "meaningful action". You wanna take a guess on what his "meaningful action" is?
    I'd have to agree with both of you. I made the comparison to teachers and pilots in another thread. Before 9/11 if a commercial pilot had been caught with a pistol in the cockpit he'd be doing federal time. Now? It's considered sound policy. It's time to start getting people into the same mindset with the educators of our children.

    You can put a pistol box in every classroom. Biometrically secured with a gun lock on the pistol inside. It stays there until the teacher hears gunshots. There are always options and ways of doing things.

  4. #4
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundiver View Post
    I'd have to agree with both of you. I made the comparison to teachers and pilots in another thread. Before 9/11 if a commercial pilot had been caught with a pistol in the cockpit he'd be doing federal time. Now? It's considered sound policy. It's time to start getting people into the same mindset with the educators of our children.

    You can put a pistol box in every classroom. Biometrically secured with a gun lock on the pistol inside. It stays there until the teacher hears gunshots. There are always options and ways of doing things.
    After every shooting emotions are high. But unlike a mall shooting where 30, 40 or 50 year old's was killed, emotions for this shooting are going to be extremely high due to the fact that it was 5 and 6 year old's. The gun grabbers are not going to waste this tragedy to promote their agenda. I share your idea that a secure gun in the classroom would be the best course of action, but that idea requires open minds. Needless to say America often isn't guilty of having an open mind.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Needless to say America often isn't guilty of having an open mind.
    Fortunately, I am speaking of making this a reality in Kentucky, not all of America.
    Last edited by UnfetteredMight; 12-15-2012 at 02:36 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfetteredMight View Post
    Fortunately, I am speaking of making this a reality in Kentucky, not all of America.
    But isn't the "gun free school zone" a federal thing? Could KY law allow for "proper" guns on school property? I'll agree that KY has some damn fine laws in regards to guns and self defense in general, but even though this may be a hard sell. Even if it does make a ton of sense. I hope I'm wrong but I look for some bad laws to be passed in the future because of this shooting.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    But isn't the "gun free school zone" a federal thing? Could KY law allow for "proper" guns on school property? I'll agree that KY has some damn fine laws in regards to guns and self defense in general, but even though this may be a hard sell. Even if it does make a ton of sense. I hope I'm wrong but I look for some bad laws to be passed in the future because of this shooting.
    Yes, it's part of the Brady Bill. However you are exempted from the GFZ in a particular state if you have a carry permit from that state, then it's up to the state law.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfetteredMight View Post
    Yes, it's part of the Brady Bill. However you are exempted from the GFZ in a particular state if you have a carry permit from that state, then it's up to the state law.
    The devil will be in the details. What do you do with teachers who refuse on moral or religious grounds? Ideally you'd like to say, find another occupation if you're unwilling to defend your students but in reality it'd never fly.

  9. #9
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundiver View Post

    You can put a pistol box in every classroom. Biometrically secured with a gun lock on the pistol inside. It stays there until the teacher hears gunshots. There are always options and ways of doing things.
    Interesting idea.
    How many classrooms are there in Kentucky? Got any estimate?

    How many teachers?

  10. #10
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundiver View Post
    The devil will be in the details. What do you do with teachers who refuse on moral or religious grounds? Ideally you'd like to say, find another occupation if you're unwilling to defend your students but in reality it'd never fly.
    I say that you would handle those teachers like you would any other LAC. You don't have to carry but you now have the option if you so choose to do so.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I think this shooting will be the one the kills our gun rights. Obama said that it's time for leaders to take "meaningful action". You wanna take a guess on what his "meaningful action" is?
    Lack of events has not been what has stopped Obama, he had the votes in the first two years in office. What is stopping him is SCOTUS. Once Scalia takes retirement we will have problems.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I say that you would handle those teachers like you would any other LAC. You don't have to carry but you now have the option if you so choose to do so.
    Oh, I know. Just playing DA here, you know you'll have parents squalling about how they don't want their children in a classroom with a firearm present. Teachers who choose to go through the process and have a firearm in the their classroom being stigmatized not only by parents but other teachers. Then you have the private school and Christian schools. Like I said just thinking aloud as it were about the problems, I realize we can't reach them all.

    On an ironic note in 1984 I was involved in one of the first "modern" school shootings in Richland Hills Texas when Barry Shaw opened fire. He had shown several of us kids all the weapons in his trunk a few days before. We'd reported it to the administration along with problems we'd had with him before threats and such, he'd just murdered a man in Dallas not long before. They blew it all off, I hope things have changed since then.

  13. #13
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Lack of events has not been what has stopped Obama, he had the votes in the first two years in office. What is stopping him is SCOTUS. Once Scalia takes retirement we will have problems.
    You have a point but one day all of the anti's ducks are gonna line up in a nice, neat row for them. I see trouble on the way. I can't help but to feel that our rights are in more danger now than they have ever been. Right now lot's of fear, emotion and anger are in the air. I guess time will tell.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    You have a point but one day all of the anti's ducks are gonna line up in a nice, neat row for them. I see trouble on the way. I can't help but to feel that our rights are in more danger now than they have ever been. Right now lot's of fear, emotion and anger are in the air. I guess time will tell.
    Maybe we need to get back to the basics of educating people what 2A is really about, as a check and balance against the power of a tyranical government, which IMO is something the government should never be able to touch simply as a conflict of interest.

  15. #15
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundiver View Post
    Maybe we need to get back to the basics of educating people what 2A is really about, as a check and balance against the power of a tyranical government, which IMO is something the government should never be able to touch simply as a conflict of interest.
    We do try to educate as much as we can but some folks won't hear of it. Nonetheless we should still try. If we try to educate 1000 people and only one listens, that's at least 1. When you start talking about fighting a tyrannical Government some label you as a "paranoid nut job" and your argument is over even before it gets started. Just check out a conversation that I had with a guy last night.


    https://www.facebook.com/lou.zehnder...f&notif_t=like

    They always have a come back even if it is based on nothing!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  16. #16
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Right now we need to leave rights out of the discussion, and speak strictly about the facts.

    The FACT is that the children's blood is on the hands of the anti-gunners and legislators who support this type of legislation! This leaves our children defenseless, and they asked for it!

    The fact is that Congress passed the FGFSZ because it was deemed necessary to stop gun-violence in schools; the truth is that gun-violence in schools has drastically increased since the inception of this law. The arguments for the law have been proven baseless and plain wrong! This law has the opposite effect than what was intended.

    We need for people to look at the facts and statistics, and we also need to challenge the effectiveness and constitutionality of this statute in the system. This law has NOT accomplished what Congress has stated it would in the statute itself (18 USC 922). This law is stripping our educators and children of their right to life and liberty. This law is killing people!

    The Federal Government has no business restricting the Second Amendment in any way, especially not in a way that is harmful to the public and our children, which the FGFSZ certainly is.

    Here is why Congress passed this into law, and I believe we all realize how all of these claims are absurd:

    (1)The Congress finds and declares that—

    (A)crime, particularly crime involving drugs and guns, is a pervasive, nationwide problem;

    (B)crime at the local level is exacerbated by the interstate movement of drugs, guns, and criminal gangs;

    (C)firearms and ammunition move easily in interstate commerce and have been found in increasing numbers in and around schools, as documented in numerous hearings in both the Committee on the Judiciary [3] the House of Representatives and the Committee on the Judiciary of the Senate;

    (D)in fact, even before the sale of a firearm, the gun, its component parts, ammunition, and the raw materials from which they are made have considerably moved in interstate commerce;

    (E)while criminals freely move from State to State, ordinary citizens and foreign visitors may fear to travel to or through certain parts of the country due to concern about violent crime and gun violence, and parents may decline to send their children to school for the same reason;

    (F)the occurrence of violent crime in school zones has resulted in a decline in the quality of education in our country;

    (G)this decline in the quality of education has an adverse impact on interstate commerce and the foreign commerce of the United States;

    (H)States, localities, and school systems find it almost impossible to handle gun-related crime by themselves—even States, localities, and school systems that have made strong efforts to prevent, detect, and punish gun-related crime find their efforts unavailing due in part to the failure or inability of other States or localities to take strong measures; and

    (I)the Congress has the power, under the interstate commerce clause and other provisions of the Constitution, to enact measures to ensure the integrity and safety of the Nation’s schools by enactment of this subsection.

    -----------------------------------------------------------

    They claim that state's cannot control gun-violence, education is poor because of guns, crime involving guns is a serious problem, and on and on.

    Gun-violence has steadily dropped over the past years, so this claim cannot be verified, as the "serious problem" is really not a problem when compared with other criminal acts. Look at the numbers.

    They say state's cannot control gun-violence. This is absurd! The only states that have problems controlling gun-violence are the ones that heavily restrict law-abiding citizens' right to keep and bear firearms. New York City, Chicago and Washington D.C. are responsible for nearly 20% of the entire country's murders. I believe this speaks for itself.

    They claim education is becoming inadequate because of guns! This is ridiculous! This statute has allowed gun-violence in K-12 schools to heavily increase because nobody is able to defend themselves. This along with state laws across the country have made K-12 schools killing fields where a shooter knows he will be facing unarmed human targets!

    When a statute claims to accomplish one thing and leads to the exact opposite happening it needs to be revisited!

    I am tired of our children dying because the government wants to restrict law-abiding citizens right to keep and bear firearms!

    The liberal's don't care about the actual violence, they just care about pushing their agenda! One of the biggest liberals in the country proudly said "You never want a serious crisis to go to WASTE!" This is their mentality! They know they cannot convince the American populace to agree with their radical agenda when they are thinking clearly, so they work on their raw emotion immediately after a violent, tragic incident! This is shameful and pathetic!

    Bottom line is the FGFSZ has allowed school gun-violence to DRASTICALLY increase by making all victims unarmed and defenseless! We need to recind this statute and the Kentucky statute immediately, so our children don't have to depend on the police who are minutes away and usually won't enter until a SWAT team has been called to the scene! They should be given the respect and care they deserve, and they should know someone is close that is capable of defending them against these tragic incidents! Until these GFZ laws are rescinded they will continue to be easy targets for psychopaths bent on killing them, and that is ridiculously insidious!
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 12-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  17. #17
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Right now we need to leave rights out of the discussion, and speak strictly about the facts.

    The FACT is that the children's blood is on the hands of the anti-gunners and legislators who support this type of legislation! This leaves our children defenseless, and they asked for it!

    The fact is that Congress passed the FGFSZ because it was deemed necessary to stop gun-violence in schools; the truth is that gun-violence in schools has drastically increased since the inception of this law. The arguments for the law have been proven baseless and plain wrong! This law has the opposite effect than what was intended.

    We need for people to look at the facts and statistics, and we also need to challenge the effectiveness and constitutionality of this statute in the system. This law has NOT accomplished what Congress has stated it would in the statute itself (18 USC 922). This law is stripping our educators and children of their right to life and liberty. This law is killing people!

    The Federal Government has no business restricting the Second Amendment in any way, especially not in a way that is harmful to the public and our children, which the FGFSZ certainly is.

    Here is why Congress passed this into law, and I believe we all realize how all of these claims are absurd:

    (1)The Congress finds and declares that—

    (A)crime, particularly crime involving drugs and guns, is a pervasive, nationwide problem;

    (B)crime at the local level is exacerbated by the interstate movement of drugs, guns, and criminal gangs;

    (C)firearms and ammunition move easily in interstate commerce and have been found in increasing numbers in and around schools, as documented in numerous hearings in both the Committee on the Judiciary [3] the House of Representatives and the Committee on the Judiciary of the Senate;

    (D)in fact, even before the sale of a firearm, the gun, its component parts, ammunition, and the raw materials from which they are made have considerably moved in interstate commerce;

    (E)while criminals freely move from State to State, ordinary citizens and foreign visitors may fear to travel to or through certain parts of the country due to concern about violent crime and gun violence, and parents may decline to send their children to school for the same reason;

    (F)the occurrence of violent crime in school zones has resulted in a decline in the quality of education in our country;

    (G)this decline in the quality of education has an adverse impact on interstate commerce and the foreign commerce of the United States;

    (H)States, localities, and school systems find it almost impossible to handle gun-related crime by themselves—even States, localities, and school systems that have made strong efforts to prevent, detect, and punish gun-related crime find their efforts unavailing due in part to the failure or inability of other States or localities to take strong measures; and

    (I)the Congress has the power, under the interstate commerce clause and other provisions of the Constitution, to enact measures to ensure the integrity and safety of the Nation’s schools by enactment of this subsection.

    -----------------------------------------------------------

    They claim that state's cannot control gun-violence, education is poor because of guns, crime involving guns is a serious problem, and on and on.

    Gun-violence has steadily dropped over the past years, so this claim cannot be verified, as the "serious problem" is really not a problem when compared with other criminal acts. Look at the numbers.

    They say state's cannot control gun-violence. This is absurd! The only states that have problems controlling gun-violence are the ones that heavily restrict law-abiding citizens' right to keep and bear firearms. New York City, Chicago and Washington D.C. are responsible for nearly 20% of the entire country's murders. I believe this speaks for itself.

    They claim education is becoming inadequate because of guns! This is ridiculous! This statute has allowed gun-violence in K-12 schools to heavily increase because nobody is able to defend themselves. This along with state laws across the country have made K-12 schools killing fields where a shooter knows he will be facing unarmed human targets!

    When a statute claims to accomplish one thing and leads to the exact opposite happening it needs to be revisited!

    I am tired of our children dying because the government wants to restrict law-abiding citizens right to keep and bear firearms!

    The liberal's don't care about the actual violence, they just care about pushing their agenda! One of the biggest liberals in the country proudly said "You never want a serious crisis to go to WASTE!" This is their mentality! They know they cannot convince the American populace to agree with their radical agenda when they are thinking clearly, so they work on their raw emotion immediately after a violent, tragic incident! This is shameful and pathetic!

    Bottom line is the FGFSZ has allowed school gun-violence to DRASTICALLY increase by making all victims unarmed and defenseless! We need to recind this statute and the Kentucky statute immediately, so our children don't have to depend on the police who are minutes away and usually won't enter until a SWAT team has been called to the scene! They should be given the respect and care they deserve, and they should know someone is close that is capable of defending them against these tragic incidents! Until these GFZ laws are rescinded they will continue to be easy targets for psychopaths bent on killing them, and that is ridiculously insidious!
    Here's a problem

    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...195914529.html

    I'm afraid to say but I don't think they will want to listen to any facts. They are more focused on a "feel good" measure instead. Facts are their enemy.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  18. #18
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Here's a problem

    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...195914529.html

    I'm afraid to say but I don't think they will want to listen to any facts. They are more focused on a "feel good" measure instead. Facts are their enemy.
    I have been encouraged by the comments people are making on some of YahooNews' stories. The majority of people understand the truth of the matter and have an open-mind. They realize that words on paper do NOTHING to stop a crime from happening.

    Some people are too ignorant to understand the truth or have been brain-washed to the point they can't think for themselves any longer. I'm not worried about any more harmful legislation getting through Congress at the moment, but what I am afraid of is Obama completely disregarding the Constitution as he has numerous times and trying to legislate by way of Executive Fiat!
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 12-15-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  19. #19
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I have been encouraged by the comments people are making on some of YahooNews' stories. The majority of people understand the truth of the matter and have an open-mind. They realize that words on paper do NOTHING to stop a crime from happening.

    Some people are too ignorant to understand the truth or have been brain-washed to the point they can't think for themselves any longer. I'm not worried about any more harmful legislation getting through Congress at the moment, but what I am afraid of is Obama completely disregarding the Constitution as he has numerous times and trying to legislate by way of Executive Fiat!
    I have seem some good comments too. And right at this moment is the time to mourn this unspeakable act. But I can't help to feel deep down in my gut that this incident will f**k us all when it's said and done. I hope I'm wrong. Here is a good article from a NYPD Detective. Just wish the rest of the world felt this way. http://www.therightscoop.com/nypd-de...-school-zones/
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Re: I think it's time to have a serious discusiion....

    Guns in the classroom would be a huge liability risk for school corporations, and for that reason alone, I'd be surprised if we ever saw them.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East Ky
    Posts
    9
    I know I am a new member on this site. Hello to all. I don't think arming teachers will fly. Who will own the guns? Either way, if it is the school or the teachers own weapon, there will be a very large liability. I think modifying the school buildings will be more productive. At Pikeville High School, you have two sets of doors. The inner doors, you have to be buzzed in to gain admission. There still are security flaws there. Once entering the outside doors, a person can go threw the office to gain access to the rest of the school. Also, it appears to me the glass in the inner doors are not security glass. It doesn't look thick enough to be bullet proof, and it doesn't even have the wire embedded in them to give them strength. I think with a few modifications, Pikeville could be a model school for others to follow as far as security.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    81
    Glockster, can you send me a PM with cites for what you posted? Not that I don't believe you, I do. I'd like to use it in various forums and people /will/ want proof of the "Facts" you know how that goes.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    81
    I think we can all safely say that any response to this will be purely emotional. I know it's saddened and deeply angered me. I have children. It hits me at a visceral level. That being said, if you take a step back and look at it. It should, as sad as it is to say be a non-event in the larger perspective. I'm willing to bet that more gang members die than this on a daily basis. I'm willing to bet that more vehicular homicides occur than this on a daily basis. I guess I blame the media more than anyone else for blowing this out of scale. Sure it's sad, but we all know that the media will jump all over /any/ gun story they can spin to anti-gun on a moments notice and hd while stories of people saving the lives of loved ones and even complete strangers with a firearm go largely unreported.

    Maybe we can use that as an angle? Make sure the stories where guns save lives get attention, even if it's people from the OpenCarry community making the posts and blogs and phone calls? I dunno, just spitballing ideas.

    PS: I should note in the spirit of full disclosure than I can make these comments from safety and security, my children are home-schooled. So, I'm not as invested in the public school systems as I once was.
    Last edited by Sundiver; 12-15-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Disclosure

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundiver View Post
    I think we can all safely say that any response to this will be purely emotional. I know it's saddened and deeply angered me. I have children. It hits me at a visceral level. That being said, if you take a step back and look at it. It should, as sad as it is to say be a non-event in the larger perspective. I'm willing to bet that more gang members die than this on a daily basis. I'm willing to bet that more vehicular homicides occur than this on a daily basis. I guess I blame the media more than anyone else for blowing this out of scale. Sure it's sad, but we all know that the media will jump all over /any/ gun story they can spin to anti-gun on a moments notice and hd while stories of people saving the lives of loved ones and even complete strangers with a firearm go largely unreported.

    Maybe we can use that as an angle? Make sure the stories where guns save lives get attention, even if it's people from the OpenCarry community making the posts and blogs and phone calls? I dunno, just spitballing ideas.

    PS: I should note in the spirit of full disclosure than I can make these comments from safety and security, my children are home-schooled. So, I'm not as invested in the public school systems as I once was.
    I was thinking about that earlier today.

    Two thoughts.

    Can you imagine the anxiety level of some little kids in public schools? Imagine what its like going to a public school knowing the cops won't arrive until 10 to 20 of you are dead?

    And, I wonder what would happen if parents started pulling their kids out of public schools until teachers and administrators could CC permits and carry at school?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    7
    arming our teachers isnt the problem. could be a solution. trust is the problem. that is the reason i carry cause i dont know who to trust or when s*** will hit the fan. but that school had one way in and one way out(aside from fire exits which are locked from the outside) the lady at the front desk saw this man as no harm and buzzed him in free to do what ever. metal detectors in the front door wont hurt a bit and would have stopped that right then and there plus all of the other school shootings. its peoples trust issues that let that happen. not blaming the woman. but had there been a metal detector and her not let him through the other door a lot more lives would have been saved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •