• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There was a policy that could have prevented Newtown incident

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12...-had-recently-installed-new-safety-protocols/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — In the wake of the tragic school shooting in Newtown, Conn., that left more than two dozen people dead, including 20 children, CBS 2 has learned the school district had just installed a new safety policy designed to prevent situations such as what happened on Friday.

Good job in getting this system working as it should.

I'm sure there will be a meeting on Monday to discuss the policy again.

Parents will, and rightfully so, be asking for the superintendents head on a platter as well as the folks on the finance board who oversees the school. They should all resign.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Your thread title is wrong. You should change it.

How so?

If the protocol, which was based on a policy of having visitors ID'd, had worked there would not have been a shooting.

Remember, the protocol was just one part of a bigger plan - one that invloved everybody obeying the laws.

stay safe.

eye95

No "protocol" is going to "prevent" school shootings.

The best bet schools have for reducing their incidence and for reducing casualties when they occur is to allow staff members to pack.

These places don't get that, when they ban guns entirely, they make themselves attractive as "soft targets" to the whack-jobs who want to go out in a blaze of glory. If they get shot in the attempt, rather than killing themselves after killing dozens, they don't get their blaze of glory. Reducing the incentive for your establishment to be a target will reduce its likelihood of becoming one.

Allowing LAC to carry in a facility is like locking your car. It, like the protocols, won't stop anyone intent on shooting up the place. However, it will motivate them to pick an easier target, much like a car thief would rather steal an unlocked car. Beyond the deterrent effect, teachers packing would alsonhave the ability to reactively defend their charges.

OC for ME

During the top of the hour news on the way into work it was reported that "they" believe that the shooter terminated himself when he heard the cops arriving.

Odd that he would do that? Is it not?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I understand now that the guy shot his way in.

I heard this too recently (after my OP). Lets assume its accurate for a moment.

Then this is a total screw-up by town officials. If the goal is to prevent an armed intruder access through a door, wouldn't you install a door that can withstand a breach via a firearm? Its like putting a screen door with a buzzer/video system to let you in.

Stopping a shotgun or rifle bullet does not require a Sherman tank type of armor. And one would not need a door that would prevent it, just to make the time needed to breach it unreasonable for the goal of unwanted entry.

In respect to my schools, I have walked down hallways, passed teachers etc. and only was once confronted with a query. And I have informed my schools of this security issue and never noticed any change in security.

I check security of places all the time. I recall going to a courthouse and going to the DA's office for some traffic ticket .. I had a motion to serve -- I went through an unlocked door and handed it to DA himself. He was not happy..but I told him there was no sign and the door was unlocked and said "hey, your lack of security is not my concern". And in July 2001, I flew into Logan airport (I had a return ticket to go back); I noted the complete confusion and lack of security there and drove back to my original location instead of taking my plane flight and then called the FAA and told them to improve security at Logan .. obviously they ignored my advice.

SO gov'ts always talk about security ... thats all it is is talk usually

beebobby

Short of fortifying schools to resist this type of attack, this guy wasn't going to be stopped by any procedure or policy currently in place. Since the guy was able to arm himself, the only way to stop him would have been to meet him with equal or greater force. When I talk to non-enthusiasts about this, I point to the fact that when responding to shooter incidents at schools, the police force doesn't send in counselors as first responders, they send in full-on SWAT teams loaded for bear to stop the shooter. Unfortunately, they always seem to be too late.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"...the shooter terminated himself when he heard the cops arriving. Odd that he would do that? Is it not? " -- OC for ME

No, I don't find it odd at all: The shooter did not plan to survive the incident. He didn't care how that was accomplished nor by whom.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

There is absolutely no way you can fortify schools in America to prevent shootings unless you build a 30 foot high concrete wall with razor wire at the top and let NO ONE into the school without full metal detectors.

If you look at pictures of the Sandy Hook school there is a 800 yard perimeter that is entirely unguarded. Its exactly like 95% of schools in America.

OC for ME

"...the shooter terminated himself when he heard the cops arriving. Odd that he would do that? Is it not? " -- OC for ME No, I don't find it odd at all: The shooter did not plan to survive the incident. He didn't care how that was accomplished nor by whom.
Exactly the end result that could be predicted but that is not always the case. I submit Aurora as a example. What is not known is why the shooter did not continue to kill until he knew that he could no longer kill uninterrupted. I contend that he was not that crazy.

davidmcbeth

Banned
"What we know is he shot his way into the building. He was not buzzed in," Malloy told ABC's "This Week" on Sunday. "He penetrated the building by literally shooting an entrance into the building."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...shooting-at-connecticut-school/#ixzz2FLGUTECR

Malloy is a idiot. What does he mean by shooting an entrance. No wonder no one believes anything said about this incident. Every gov't official is speaking with forked tongues. I wish someone would open an entrance into Malloy's mind because he can't explain what he means.