• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News Media and Us

SFCRetired

"My attorney commented that it was much harder to defend someone that was innocent than someone that was guilty. I refused all plea offers and insisted on CLEARING my good name! Not just that the charges were dropped, but that the judge dismissed the charges with predjudice (the DA tried to "not go forward at this time".) Of course, the local newspaper didn't want to hear from me about that, not like how eager they were to be in court to see me charged and report it in the paper."

This snip from another thread and posted by okboomer got me thinking about our relationship with local media (national and international are already hopeless).

What, if anything, can we do to get local outlets to publicize our positive outcomes as quickly as they publicize our arrests and convictions? If they spread our good names all over the news, "Local gun owner charged with......." and then refuse to cover the acquittal, is there any legal recourse?

I would really prefer to have a non-adversarial relationship with local media, but neither do I want to see them free to malign someone's good name.