Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: My first run in with an anti. Internet "debate"

  1. #1
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039

    My first run in with an anti. Internet "debate"

    First off, I didn't use the calm, cool head that I use on OCDO. And the comments are ran together because facebook doesn't let you make paragraphs so it's a little hard on the eyes. I may have been hit and miss with it but I still said my peace.




    https://www.facebook.com/lou.zehnder...f&notif_t=like
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    inkster, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    150
    link does not work

  3. #3
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by khicks View Post
    link does not work
    I don't know. It works for me. What does it do when you click on it?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    First off, I didn't use the calm, cool head that I use on OCDO. And the comments are ran together because facebook doesn't let you make paragraphs so it's a little hard on the eyes. I may have been hit and miss with it but I still said my peace.




    https://www.facebook.com/lou.zehnder...f&notif_t=like

    I find useing a calm cool head and resonable comments maybe more important and goes longer ways. Still might not convince that person but others that read it
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  5. #5
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I find useing a calm cool head and resonable comments maybe more important and goes longer ways. Still might not convince that person but others that read it
    I try to also have a cool and calm head about any debate that I'm in. I find that is the best way to get your point across. I don't what it was but I just got real upset with his "logic" and got a little more vocal than I normally do. Constructive criticism is welcome. I know I didn't handle this the best way the I could have. But how do we learn if we don't stumble from time to time?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    Yea but some times it feels so good.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  7. #7
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    The link did not work for me.

    Tried about 12:55 on 15DEC2012

    It's been my experience that idiots generally don't want the truth.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  8. #8
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    i couldn't get the link to work either
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  9. #9
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation
    the comments are ran together because facebook doesn't let you make paragraphs
    Sure it does. Press shift + return & it'll let you do a carriage return w/o posting the comment.

    It doesn't work for me either. I get a 'page not found' message.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  10. #10
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    First off, I didn't use the calm, cool head that I use on OCDO. And the comments are ran together because facebook doesn't let you make paragraphs so it's a little hard on the eyes. I may have been hit and miss with it but I still said my peace.




    https://www.facebook.com/lou.zehnder...f&notif_t=like

    When you are posting to FB and want to insert a blank line (paragraphing), just do a shift-enter and then keep typing.

    Oh...and your link doesn't work.
    Last edited by carolina guy; 12-15-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Since my link doesn't seem to work I'll do the ole copy and paste. Keep in mind that I lost my cool and normally don't advocate the 2A in this manner. I guess just reading all the anti-gun stuff from that day got me more bothered than usual. It started on a FaceBook page that is a pro-2A. A user posted "I just wonder if the staff at this school was allowed to have guns if this would've happened?"

    I posted my thoughts then a this broke out.

    Anti-Or you get some gun control in the country and this will not happen on a monthly basis. How many innocent people must die before people understand this?

    Me- Understand what, that disarming innocent, law abiding people somehow protects innocent, law abiding people? Do you really believe that making guns illegal will get them out of criminals hands? They are called criminals for a reason. Because they DO NOT obey the law. Why not make drugs illegal so this countries drug problem will go away? Oh wait, drugs are illegal but people still use, sell and die over them everyday.

    Me- Also, we can make drinking and driving illegal so we have no more DUI deaths. Whats that?? It's already illegal. To blame an inanimate object for this is just ******* stupid. If guns kill then all of my guns are broken because they have never killed anyone. Just in case you don't know, there are already tons of laws against guns already.

    In fact the school was a federal "gun free zone".. Guess what?? those guys didn't give 2 ***** about violating the "no gun zone" law. For ***** sake they murdered little kids...they are criminals..they didn't seem to really care regardless. Gun control isn't about guns..it's about control. Look at Australia, they took ALL guns away from Law abiding citizens but the criminals kept their guns..violent crime went up 66% and the brilliant politicians can't figure out what went wrong. So Mr.Scott C. Milne, if you don't enjoy our constitutional freedom to defend ourselves against attacks, maybe you can move your happy, hippie ass to Australia with the rest of the liberal *****

    Anti-Chris or Amber, not sure which I am talking to, but I will not be heading to Australia, I was born and raised in Canada. So if I go anywhere it is back to Canada. Why am I here?? Because I am a Forensic Scientist and there is alot more work down here for a reason!!! You are right the people who are going to break the law will still break the law, violent crimes happen in Canada just like they do in the USA, BUT you do not see the mass shootings like you do down here. With your arguement why bother having DUI laws??? BEACAUSE they protect the innocent from the idiots and from themselves. Yes we still have drinking and driving, but if there were no DUI laws you would have a lot more people drinking and driving and a lot more people dead because of it.

    Anti-Go read the the constitution, wene it was written the guns available could take one shot and had to be reloaded. It was meant so people could form a militia to protect themselves from Britain or even your own government. I hate to tell you, but if you had to protect yourself from your own government you would not last very long. Again, I agree that the idiots out there will still be idiots, but everyone having guns does not mean you are protected. Go look at what happened in Detroit when I guy walked into the POC and started shooting. Armed police officers were not able to stop him from killing multiple people, including police officers who were armed.

    Me-First off you are talking to Chris. My point is gun control does nothing more than disarm good people. Criminals will ALWAYS find a way around the law. You say to read the constitution. I have. Several times. You say the right to keep and bear arms was only meant for single shot guns (muskets)? Please point to me where it says that. Do you believe that the founding fathers, some of the most insightful and intelligent men that we have ever known didn't know that gun technology would advance over the years?

    I get so damn sick of people saying that the 2nd Amendment was only meant for the guns from that time period. Under that theory the "freedom of press" would only apply to an actual printing press and NOT to TV, Radio, Internet, magazines, or the mass produced newspaper that we know today. You also say that if we (regular citizens) were to take on our Government today that we would lose. You're correct and let me tell you why. Back when OUR constitution was passed anything that the Government could have, so could we. Now they (the US Government) have taken our liberties away and have things that we can not. It wasn't like that back when. It is nothing more than tyranny.

    President Obama wants to ban "assault" weapons but yet trained military killers protect his family with FULLY AUTOMATIC guns. Where is the liberty in that? "Gun Control" is a Hitler term. Hitler once said "to conquer a nation you must first disarm its citizens". You nor anyone will ever convince me that the only option that a 5'4, 115 pound woman should have against a 6'8, 240 pound rapist is to fist fight him. And as bad as I hate to admit it, yes, America does seem to have a violence issue. Why?? I don't know. No one does. But I do not blame guns for it. A gun can do no more than what the holder of said gun tells it to do. NONE of my guns have EVER jumped up on their own and went out and killed someone. It takes a human with free will to make that happen.

    You say that having a gun doesn't mean that I'm protected. Once again, you are right. The same way that wearing a seat belt doesn't guarantee that I won't die in a car accident or that having working smoke detectors won't guarantee that I won't die in a fire at my house. BUT having those thing gives me a CHANCE of surviving. To quote the "shooters prayer", "Lord, if it is your will that I die in an act of violence today, I only ask that I die in a pile of my own spent brass" Do you know what that prayer means Mr. Milne?? It means I fought back!

    You say that you are a Forensic Scientist. Well Mr. Milne I have been a Firefighter/EMT for 10+ years. I have dedicated my life to protect and save other. Mostly complete strangers that I have never met. I truly value and cherish human life. But believe me when I say that if ANYONE tries to harm my loved ones I will pump their body so full of ******* lead that their corpse will be worth money at the scrap yard. The NEXT to last thing that I ever want is to kill another human..the LAST thing I want is for my loved ones or myself to be killed. You come into a pro-gun site spewing anti-gun ********. Don't acted so shocked when you get your head bit of for walking into the lions den. Please reconsider your Anti-gun attitude.

    Anti-I do not see any issue with people having guns, but there is no need for the semi automatic and automatic weapons to be sold to the public. Unfortunately, they are already a part of the fabric of the country. I am not shocked about people having a different view. I went to University in Kentucky (NOT UK... EKU). I have had my friends in KY yell at me when I state my views. I thank you for what you do, you save lives lives and put yours at risk everyday. I know guns do not kill people, but when they are in the hands of mentally ill people alot of people get killed. There have been 16 mass shootings in the US this year killing over 88 people.

    Me-Don't get me wrong Mr. Milne, even though you and I have different views I realize and accept that as a citizen on American soil that you are entitled to your opinion as I am. I strongly disagree that citizens should not have semi automatic weapons. I myself carry a semi-automatic handgun. If I carried a single shot .22 revolver then I wouldn't be much of a match against a person attacking me with a semi-automatic .223 rifle.

    You also say that the public should not have fully automatic guns...unless you have the proper paperwork, we can't. A person with an true automatic gun without the proper paperwork would do some serious prison time. I will share your opinion that felons or mentally ill people should be denied access to any kind of weapons. But the problem is that "reasonable restrictions" are nothing more than an opinion. And as you know opinions vary greatly between people. Your idea of "reasonable" and my idea of "reasonable" may be a million miles apart. I will acknowledge that America has a problem. But I have no idea how to fix it but I honestly don't feel that "gun control" is the answer.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  12. #12
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Adding in response to the anti's comment suggesting that the 2nd amendment only applies to single shot muzzle loading weapons---- then the first amendment right to a free press would be limited to quill and ink ONLY.

    They seem to forget that cannons and artillery type weapons were OWNED lawfully by the residents at the time the Constitution was ratified!

    Remember this... the anti's emotions will not accept logic....

    story recently heard:

    A psychiatrist is treating a person who is convinced that he is a corpse. The doc has an epiphany one day and asks the patient if corpses bleed. The patient answers "Of course not! They're dead!"
    The doc takes out a pin and jabs the finger of the patient then squeezes out a drop of blood. Doc asks the patient what he thinks now and the response was, "Well, I guess corpses DO BLEED!"
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    facebook doesn't let you make paragraphs
    shift+enter
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    The money quotes

    You are right the people who are going to break the law will still break the law, ....
    In a sort of moment, we are privileged to see the workings of the mind of an anti. They know that there are people out there who will break the law no matter what, but the only response they can come up with is to pass more laws to make ___ even more illegal-ler.

    Why do they do this? I'm not sure anybody has "the" answer to that question, but more times than not it has been noted that these folks not only insist that it is the job of The State to protect and care for them, often in spite of their deliberate attempts to harm themselves, but that they proudly proclaim that they (the individual) have no "right" to look after themselves. And then they, with a completely straight face, turn around and tell The State exactly and precisely how it should look after them.

    You think that guns cause problems? Then why is it that the first thing you do is to pick up the telephone and ask for people with guns to show up? Shouldn't they be checking the calendars of themselves and the BGs to see what dates are mutually agreeable to meet with a conflict resolution mediator?

    The other money quote is
    I was born and raised in Canada. So if I go anywhere it is back to Canada. Why am I here?? Because I am a Forensic Scientist and there is alot more work down here for a reason!!!
    Apparently they have no problem profiting from the situation they find so repulsive and abhorrent. Just as, apparently, they do not see that as being in conflict with their thoughts on gun control.

    I have nothing against the people of Canada except for that annoying "Eh?" and that they put mayonnaise on french fies, but I'm sure they find a thing or two about our ways just as annoying. What I do have is an abiding and intense feeling of repulsion towards anybody who openly admits that their life is based on profiting from the injury or death of others when they admit that they will oppose any effort to reduce or end the cause(s) of that injury or death.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Adding in response to the anti's comment suggesting that the 2nd amendment only applies to single shot muzzle loading weapons---- then the first amendment right to a free press would be limited to quill and ink ONLY.
    I pointed that out to him.

    I get so damn sick of people saying that the 2nd Amendment was only meant for the guns from that time period. Under that theory the "freedom of press" would only apply to an actual printing press and NOT to TV, Radio, Internet, magazines, or the mass produced newspaper that we know today.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    in a sort of Moment, we are privileged to see the workings of the mind of an anti. They know that there are people out there who will break the law no matter what, but the only response they can come up with is to pass more laws to make ___ even more illegal-ler.

    Why do they do this? I'm not sure anybody has "the" answer to that question, but more times than not it has been noted that these folks not only insist that it is the job of the state to protect and care for them, often in spite of their deliberate attempts to harm themselves, but that they proudly proclaim that they (the individual) have no "right" to look after themselves. And then they, with a completely straight face, turn around and tell the state exactly and precisely how it should look after them.

    You think that guns cause problems? Then why is it that the first thing you do is to pick up the telephone and ask for people with guns to show up? Shouldn't they be checking the calendars of themselves and the bgs to see what dates are mutually agreeable to meet with a conflict resolution mediator?

    The other money quote is

    apparently they have no problem profiting from the situation they find so repulsive and abhorrent. Just as, apparently, they do not see that as being in conflict with their thoughts on gun control.

    I have nothing against the people of canada except for that annoying "eh?" and that they put mayonnaise on french fies, but i'm sure they find a thing or two about our ways just as annoying. What i do have is an abiding and intense feeling of repulsion towards anybody who openly admits that their life is based on profiting from the injury or death of others when they admit that they will oppose any effort to reduce or end the cause(s) of that injury or death.

    Stay safe.
    qft.

  17. #17
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    In a sort of moment, we are privileged to see the workings of the mind of an anti. They know that there are people out there who will break the law no matter what, but the only response they can come up with is to pass more laws to make ___ even more illegal-ler.

    Why do they do this? I'm not sure anybody has "the" answer to that question, but more times than not it has been noted that these folks not only insist that it is the job of The State to protect and care for them, often in spite of their deliberate attempts to harm themselves, but that they proudly proclaim that they (the individual) have no "right" to look after themselves. And then they, with a completely straight face, turn around and tell The State exactly and precisely how it should look after them.

    You think that guns cause problems? Then why is it that the first thing you do is to pick up the telephone and ask for people with guns to show up? Shouldn't they be checking the calendars of themselves and the BGs to see what dates are mutually agreeable to meet with a conflict resolution mediator?

    The other money quote is

    Apparently they have no problem profiting from the situation they find so repulsive and abhorrent. Just as, apparently, they do not see that as being in conflict with their thoughts on gun control.

    I have nothing against the people of Canada except for that annoying "Eh?" and that they put mayonnaise on french fies, but I'm sure they find a thing or two about our ways just as annoying. What I do have is an abiding and intense feeling of repulsion towards anybody who openly admits that their life is based on profiting from the injury or death of others when they admit that they will oppose any effort to reduce or end the cause(s) of that injury or death.

    stay safe.
    It did show a little bit of an anti's mindset. I won't say that I enjoyed arguing with him (ok, maybe just a little) but it did give me an idea of how they "think". It's all emotion. Logic seems to escape them.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  18. #18
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Perhps we should prepare ourselves for the likely reality that what 9/11 meant for respect for the 4th Amendment - the 12/14 Sandy Hook elementary tragedy will mean for respect for the 2nd Amendment.

    Recently read " The Blood of Patriots", by Cameron Reddy. It is a well written, and well researched prophetic novel that is a good read, as well as insightful in presenting a summary of how we got to where we are.

    Bear in mind - that the very same POTUS who will display his tears today for these murdered 20 innocent babies in Newton, CT - is willfully complicit in the murder of countless thousands of such innocent babies who never made it out of their mother's womb.

    U.N. small arms treaty will probably now be ratified by the Senate- despite previous assurances to the contrary.

    Expect Obama through executive orders to engage the BATFE in a full-court press to harrass, intimidate, and generally make life miserable for anyone who has, or is considering purchasing an AR/AK from a FFL. If anyone has been considering acquiring an AR/AK's NOW might be a good time.

    I am angered deeply by the media commentators who keep insisting that " Nothing could have prevented this tragedy. "

    There is no doubt in my mind that the presence of a single PD/SO patrol unit assigned to park in front of this elementary school would probably have prevented this tragedy. At least ONE police unit parked in proximity to every public school in the U.S. is the FIRST STEP in prevention that should start TOMORROW MORNING . The officers can even write tickets for traffic violations while there.

    This minimal presence would at least reduce response time to 1 minute or less if not serve to actually deter such shooters. Ten minutes response time in Newton, CT was clearly 26 victims to long.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 12-16-2012 at 12:21 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    It did show a little bit of an anti's mindset. I won't say that I enjoyed arguing with him (ok, maybe just a little) but it did give me an idea of how they "think". It's all emotion. Logic seems to escape them.
    That, and that they are intellectually dishonest with themselves when it comes to a conflict in their thinking. Too many people find a philosophy the same way they find a pair of shoes; "Oh, this sort of fits." and they never question it any further, because it is comfortable to them. They never evolve their thinking, dissect their reasoning or search for anything better. It's "too hard and too scary," to do that. Much easier just to have someone tell them what to think so they can parrot it when needed.

  20. #20
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    That, and that they are intellectually dishonest with themselves when it comes to a conflict in their thinking. Too many people find a philosophy the same way they find a pair of shoes; "Oh, this sort of fits." and they never question it any further, because it is comfortable to them. They never evolve their thinking, dissect their reasoning or search for anything better. It's "too hard and too scary," to do that. Much easier just to have someone tell them what to think so they can parrot it when needed.
    So true. I don't like violence so I must hate weapons. Not realizing or thinking that although violence is bad it might be necessary in certain circumstances.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  21. #21
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Wonderful thing about our system of highways, that if a person from Canada does not like how we do things they can drive back to Canada.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    252
    When I debate anti's, I usually just start quoting court cases, quoting the founders, and giving as many facts as possible.

    For example, I recently debated an anti about assault weapons. He said that he didn't want to ban guns, despite what conservatives are saying. Then, of course, his friend contradicted his statement by suggesting that assault weapons be banned. This was my reply:


    "I understand the point. The problem is that gun bans are often included in the proposals. Perhaps not for simple guns; but certainly for many standard capacity magazines and sporting rifles that those of us in the gun community enjoy.

    And, in case you're wondering, no, I don't think high capacity magazines or “assault” rifles should be banned. Why? Because doing so would detract from the true meaning of the second amendment.

    Many believe that the second amendment is for hunting or sporting. The problem is that such is not the case. Back when the second amendment was written, hunting was a given and a survival necessity. The true meaning of the second amendment can be found in the Declaration of Independence: “…Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it…But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.”

    What I am about to say is not very popular, whether among Democrats or Republicans. But, many of our founders believed that Americans should keep arms to be able to, as a last resort, resist governmental tyranny. Thomas Jefferson: “The strongest reason for the people to maintain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to resist tyranny in government.” Taking “assault” weapons away would prevent the American people from being able to do so effectively. Patrick Henry: “Guard with jealous attention the Public Liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that Jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.” When Americans give up the right to bear arms, even fractionally, they lose their ability to exercise the true meaning of the second amendment.

    Now, the argument can be made that perhaps this “meaning” should no longer be part of public policy. If so, then I would suggest proposing a constitutional amendment and getting 2/3 of both houses of Congress and 3/4 of the states to agree. Until then, this is the true meaning of the second amendment. And, banning “assault” weapons or high capacity magazines would take away from it.

    By the way, I'm not advocating anything. I'm just presenting some historical facts."


    Then, of course, one of his friends chimed in and gave the argument that the 2nd amendment applies only to the militia and not me and my "buddies from the gun show". I countered that (1) according to Federal law (U.S.C. Title 10, Section 311), as an able-bodied male age 17-45, I am in the militia, and (2) the militia clause is only an explanatory clause and does not affect the operative clause "shall not be infringed.
    Last edited by Nascar24Glock; 12-17-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I don't like violence so I must hate weapons.
    Speaking for myself, I carry a gun because I don't like violence. I think many of us here feel the same way-the very idea of an openly carried firearm is its potential to prevent or diffuse situations that could lead to violence.

    That's a point that's really lost on most antis!

  24. #24
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    Speaking for myself, I carry a gun because I don't like violence. I think many of us here feel the same way-the very idea of an openly carried firearm is its potential to prevent or diffuse situations that could lead to violence.

    That's a point that's really lost on most antis!
    I am much the same in that respect.

    To not have another post
    '--------
    I've noticed many more antis popping up. One was telling me that there is no reason for anyone to own an M4 Assault rifle. I told her that the rifle used was not an assault rifle as it did not have a semi-auto to full-auto selection.

    She told me that the media called it an assault rifle and so it was an assault rifle.

    Then claimed that it was a soldier's job to defend the people of this country. I explained that no, I only swore to up hold and defend the constitution of the united States.

    Ugg The stupids are coming out of the woodwork really badly now.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  25. #25
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Ask any Canadian if they have violent crimes committed with guns up in the Great White North. Ask them how could that be given the restrictions placed on gun ownership in Canada. Then ask them, and this is the tough one, if cops should be the only ones to have guns outside of the home, where are the cops when they are most needed. Finally, ask them what would they rather have available in a situation such as the school shooting, or walking down the street with their family, if the cops are not available, a handgun or a cell phone.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •