• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first run in with an anti. Internet "debate"

Firearms Iinstuctor

First off, I didn't use the calm, cool head that I use on OCDO. And the comments are ran together because facebook doesn't let you make paragraphs so it's a little hard on the eyes. I may have been hit and miss with it but I still said my peace.

https://www.facebook.com/lou.zehnde...21?comment_id=37773060&ref=notif&notif_t=like

I find useing a calm cool head and resonable comments maybe more important and goes longer ways. Still might not convince that person but others that read it

self preservation

I find useing a calm cool head and resonable comments maybe more important and goes longer ways. Still might not convince that person but others that read it

I try to also have a cool and calm head about any debate that I'm in. I find that is the best way to get your point across. I don't what it was but I just got real upset with his "logic" and got a little more vocal than I normally do. Constructive criticism is welcome. I know I didn't handle this the best way the I could have. But how do we learn if we don't stumble from time to time?

carolina guy

First off, I didn't use the calm, cool head that I use on OCDO. And the comments are ran together because facebook doesn't let you make paragraphs so it's a little hard on the eyes. I may have been hit and miss with it but I still said my peace.

https://www.facebook.com/lou.zehnde...21?comment_id=37773060&ref=notif&notif_t=like

When you are posting to FB and want to insert a blank line (paragraphing), just do a shift-enter and then keep typing.

Oh...and your link doesn't work. ;)

Last edited:

self preservation

Since my link doesn't seem to work I'll do the ole copy and paste. Keep in mind that I lost my cool and normally don't advocate the 2A in this manner. I guess just reading all the anti-gun stuff from that day got me more bothered than usual. It started on a FaceBook page that is a pro-2A. A user posted "I just wonder if the staff at this school was allowed to have guns if this would've happened?"

I posted my thoughts then a this broke out.

Anti-Or you get some gun control in the country and this will not happen on a monthly basis. How many innocent people must die before people understand this?

Me- Understand what, that disarming innocent, law abiding people somehow protects innocent, law abiding people? Do you really believe that making guns illegal will get them out of criminals hands? They are called criminals for a reason. Because they DO NOT obey the law. Why not make drugs illegal so this countries drug problem will go away? Oh wait, drugs are illegal but people still use, sell and die over them everyday.

Me- Also, we can make drinking and driving illegal so we have no more DUI deaths. Whats that?? It's already illegal. To blame an inanimate object for this is just ******* stupid. If guns kill then all of my guns are broken because they have never killed anyone. Just in case you don't know, there are already tons of laws against guns already.

In fact the school was a federal "gun free zone".. Guess what?? those guys didn't give 2 fucks about violating the "no gun zone" law. For fucks sake they murdered little kids...they are criminals..they didn't seem to really care regardless. Gun control isn't about guns..it's about control. Look at Australia, they took ALL guns away from Law abiding citizens but the criminals kept their guns..violent crime went up 66% and the brilliant politicians can't figure out what went wrong. So Mr.Scott C. Milne, if you don't enjoy our constitutional freedom to defend ourselves against attacks, maybe you can move your happy, hippie ass to Australia with the rest of the liberal fucks

Anti-Chris or Amber, not sure which I am talking to, but I will not be heading to Australia, I was born and raised in Canada. So if I go anywhere it is back to Canada. Why am I here?? Because I am a Forensic Scientist and there is alot more work down here for a reason!!! You are right the people who are going to break the law will still break the law, violent crimes happen in Canada just like they do in the USA, BUT you do not see the mass shootings like you do down here. With your arguement why bother having DUI laws??? BEACAUSE they protect the innocent from the idiots and from themselves. Yes we still have drinking and driving, but if there were no DUI laws you would have a lot more people drinking and driving and a lot more people dead because of it.

Anti-Go read the the constitution, wene it was written the guns available could take one shot and had to be reloaded. It was meant so people could form a militia to protect themselves from Britain or even your own government. I hate to tell you, but if you had to protect yourself from your own government you would not last very long. Again, I agree that the idiots out there will still be idiots, but everyone having guns does not mean you are protected. Go look at what happened in Detroit when I guy walked into the POC and started shooting. Armed police officers were not able to stop him from killing multiple people, including police officers who were armed.

Me-First off you are talking to Chris. My point is gun control does nothing more than disarm good people. Criminals will ALWAYS find a way around the law. You say to read the constitution. I have. Several times. You say the right to keep and bear arms was only meant for single shot guns (muskets)? Please point to me where it says that. Do you believe that the founding fathers, some of the most insightful and intelligent men that we have ever known didn't know that gun technology would advance over the years?

I get so damn sick of people saying that the 2nd Amendment was only meant for the guns from that time period. Under that theory the "freedom of press" would only apply to an actual printing press and NOT to TV, Radio, Internet, magazines, or the mass produced newspaper that we know today. You also say that if we (regular citizens) were to take on our Government today that we would lose. You're correct and let me tell you why. Back when OUR constitution was passed anything that the Government could have, so could we. Now they (the US Government) have taken our liberties away and have things that we can not. It wasn't like that back when. It is nothing more than tyranny.

President Obama wants to ban "assault" weapons but yet trained military killers protect his family with FULLY AUTOMATIC guns. Where is the liberty in that? "Gun Control" is a Hitler term. Hitler once said "to conquer a nation you must first disarm its citizens". You nor anyone will ever convince me that the only option that a 5'4, 115 pound woman should have against a 6'8, 240 pound rapist is to fist fight him. And as bad as I hate to admit it, yes, America does seem to have a violence issue. Why?? I don't know. No one does. But I do not blame guns for it. A gun can do no more than what the holder of said gun tells it to do. NONE of my guns have EVER jumped up on their own and went out and killed someone. It takes a human with free will to make that happen.

You say that having a gun doesn't mean that I'm protected. Once again, you are right. The same way that wearing a seat belt doesn't guarantee that I won't die in a car accident or that having working smoke detectors won't guarantee that I won't die in a fire at my house. BUT having those thing gives me a CHANCE of surviving. To quote the "shooters prayer", "Lord, if it is your will that I die in an act of violence today, I only ask that I die in a pile of my own spent brass" Do you know what that prayer means Mr. Milne?? It means I fought back!

You say that you are a Forensic Scientist. Well Mr. Milne I have been a Firefighter/EMT for 10+ years. I have dedicated my life to protect and save other. Mostly complete strangers that I have never met. I truly value and cherish human life. But believe me when I say that if ANYONE tries to harm my loved ones I will pump their body so full of ******* lead that their corpse will be worth money at the scrap yard. The NEXT to last thing that I ever want is to kill another human..the LAST thing I want is for my loved ones or myself to be killed. You come into a pro-gun site spewing anti-gun ********. Don't acted so shocked when you get your head bit of for walking into the lions den. Please reconsider your Anti-gun attitude.

Anti-I do not see any issue with people having guns, but there is no need for the semi automatic and automatic weapons to be sold to the public. Unfortunately, they are already a part of the fabric of the country. I am not shocked about people having a different view. I went to University in Kentucky (NOT UK... EKU). I have had my friends in KY yell at me when I state my views. I thank you for what you do, you save lives lives and put yours at risk everyday. I know guns do not kill people, but when they are in the hands of mentally ill people alot of people get killed. There have been 16 mass shootings in the US this year killing over 88 people.

Me-Don't get me wrong Mr. Milne, even though you and I have different views I realize and accept that as a citizen on American soil that you are entitled to your opinion as I am. I strongly disagree that citizens should not have semi automatic weapons. I myself carry a semi-automatic handgun. If I carried a single shot .22 revolver then I wouldn't be much of a match against a person attacking me with a semi-automatic .223 rifle.

You also say that the public should not have fully automatic guns...unless you have the proper paperwork, we can't. A person with an true automatic gun without the proper paperwork would do some serious prison time. I will share your opinion that felons or mentally ill people should be denied access to any kind of weapons. But the problem is that "reasonable restrictions" are nothing more than an opinion. And as you know opinions vary greatly between people. Your idea of "reasonable" and my idea of "reasonable" may be a million miles apart. I will acknowledge that America has a problem. But I have no idea how to fix it but I honestly don't feel that "gun control" is the answer.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Adding in response to the anti's comment suggesting that the 2nd amendment only applies to single shot muzzle loading weapons---- then the first amendment right to a free press would be limited to quill and ink ONLY.

They seem to forget that cannons and artillery type weapons were OWNED lawfully by the residents at the time the Constitution was ratified!

Remember this... the anti's emotions will not accept logic....

story recently heard:

A psychiatrist is treating a person who is convinced that he is a corpse. The doc has an epiphany one day and asks the patient if corpses bleed. The patient answers "Of course not! They're dead!"
The doc takes out a pin and jabs the finger of the patient then squeezes out a drop of blood. Doc asks the patient what he thinks now and the response was, "Well, I guess corpses DO BLEED!"

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The money quotes

You are right the people who are going to break the law will still break the law, ....

In a sort of :banghead: moment, we are privileged to see the workings of the mind of an anti. They know that there are people out there who will break the law no matter what, but the only response they can come up with is to pass more laws to make ___ even more illegal-ler.

Why do they do this? I'm not sure anybody has "the" answer to that question, but more times than not it has been noted that these folks not only insist that it is the job of The State to protect and care for them, often in spite of their deliberate attempts to harm themselves, but that they proudly proclaim that they (the individual) have no "right" to look after themselves. And then they, with a completely straight face, turn around and tell The State exactly and precisely how it should look after them.

You think that guns cause problems? Then why is it that the first thing you do is to pick up the telephone and ask for people with guns to show up? Shouldn't they be checking the calendars of themselves and the BGs to see what dates are mutually agreeable to meet with a conflict resolution mediator?

The other money quote is
I was born and raised in Canada. So if I go anywhere it is back to Canada. Why am I here?? Because I am a Forensic Scientist and there is alot more work down here for a reason!!!

Apparently they have no problem profiting from the situation they find so repulsive and abhorrent. Just as, apparently, they do not see that as being in conflict with their thoughts on gun control.

I have nothing against the people of Canada except for that annoying "Eh?" and that they put mayonnaise on french fies, but I'm sure they find a thing or two about our ways just as annoying. What I do have is an abiding and intense feeling of repulsion towards anybody who openly admits that their life is based on profiting from the injury or death of others when they admit that they will oppose any effort to reduce or end the cause(s) of that injury or death.

stay safe.

self preservation

Adding in response to the anti's comment suggesting that the 2nd amendment only applies to single shot muzzle loading weapons---- then the first amendment right to a free press would be limited to quill and ink ONLY.

I pointed that out to him.

I get so damn sick of people saying that the 2nd Amendment was only meant for the guns from that time period. Under that theory the "freedom of press" would only apply to an actual printing press and NOT to TV, Radio, Internet, magazines, or the mass produced newspaper that we know today.

PistolPackingMomma

in a sort of :banghead: Moment, we are privileged to see the workings of the mind of an anti. They know that there are people out there who will break the law no matter what, but the only response they can come up with is to pass more laws to make ___ even more illegal-ler.

Why do they do this? I'm not sure anybody has "the" answer to that question, but more times than not it has been noted that these folks not only insist that it is the job of the state to protect and care for them, often in spite of their deliberate attempts to harm themselves, but that they proudly proclaim that they (the individual) have no "right" to look after themselves. And then they, with a completely straight face, turn around and tell the state exactly and precisely how it should look after them.

You think that guns cause problems? Then why is it that the first thing you do is to pick up the telephone and ask for people with guns to show up? Shouldn't they be checking the calendars of themselves and the bgs to see what dates are mutually agreeable to meet with a conflict resolution mediator?

The other money quote is

apparently they have no problem profiting from the situation they find so repulsive and abhorrent. Just as, apparently, they do not see that as being in conflict with their thoughts on gun control.

I have nothing against the people of canada except for that annoying "eh?" and that they put mayonnaise on french fies, but i'm sure they find a thing or two about our ways just as annoying. What i do have is an abiding and intense feeling of repulsion towards anybody who openly admits that their life is based on profiting from the injury or death of others when they admit that they will oppose any effort to reduce or end the cause(s) of that injury or death.

Stay safe.

qft.

self preservation

In a sort of :banghead: moment, we are privileged to see the workings of the mind of an anti. They know that there are people out there who will break the law no matter what, but the only response they can come up with is to pass more laws to make ___ even more illegal-ler.

Why do they do this? I'm not sure anybody has "the" answer to that question, but more times than not it has been noted that these folks not only insist that it is the job of The State to protect and care for them, often in spite of their deliberate attempts to harm themselves, but that they proudly proclaim that they (the individual) have no "right" to look after themselves. And then they, with a completely straight face, turn around and tell The State exactly and precisely how it should look after them.

You think that guns cause problems? Then why is it that the first thing you do is to pick up the telephone and ask for people with guns to show up? Shouldn't they be checking the calendars of themselves and the BGs to see what dates are mutually agreeable to meet with a conflict resolution mediator?

The other money quote is

Apparently they have no problem profiting from the situation they find so repulsive and abhorrent. Just as, apparently, they do not see that as being in conflict with their thoughts on gun control.

I have nothing against the people of Canada except for that annoying "Eh?" and that they put mayonnaise on french fies, but I'm sure they find a thing or two about our ways just as annoying. What I do have is an abiding and intense feeling of repulsion towards anybody who openly admits that their life is based on profiting from the injury or death of others when they admit that they will oppose any effort to reduce or end the cause(s) of that injury or death.

stay safe.

It did show a little bit of an anti's mindset. I won't say that I enjoyed arguing with him (ok, maybe just a little:lol:) but it did give me an idea of how they "think". It's all emotion. Logic seems to escape them.

rushcreek2

Perhps we should prepare ourselves for the likely reality that what 9/11 meant for respect for the 4th Amendment - the 12/14 Sandy Hook elementary tragedy will mean for respect for the 2nd Amendment.

Recently read " The Blood of Patriots", by Cameron Reddy. It is a well written, and well researched prophetic novel that is a good read, as well as insightful in presenting a summary of how we got to where we are.

Bear in mind - that the very same POTUS who will display his tears today for these murdered 20 innocent babies in Newton, CT - is willfully complicit in the murder of countless thousands of such innocent babies who never made it out of their mother's womb.

U.N. small arms treaty will probably now be ratified by the Senate- despite previous assurances to the contrary.

Expect Obama through executive orders to engage the BATFE in a full-court press to harrass, intimidate, and generally make life miserable for anyone who has, or is considering purchasing an AR/AK from a FFL. If anyone has been considering acquiring an AR/AK's NOW might be a good time.

I am angered deeply by the media commentators who keep insisting that " Nothing could have prevented this tragedy. "

There is no doubt in my mind that the presence of a single PD/SO patrol unit assigned to park in front of this elementary school would probably have prevented this tragedy. At least ONE police unit parked in proximity to every public school in the U.S. is the FIRST STEP in prevention that should start TOMORROW MORNING . The officers can even write tickets for traffic violations while there.

This minimal presence would at least reduce response time to 1 minute or less if not serve to actually deter such shooters. Ten minutes response time in Newton, CT was clearly 26 victims to long.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

It did show a little bit of an anti's mindset. I won't say that I enjoyed arguing with him (ok, maybe just a little:lol:) but it did give me an idea of how they "think". It's all emotion. Logic seems to escape them.

That, and that they are intellectually dishonest with themselves when it comes to a conflict in their thinking. Too many people find a philosophy the same way they find a pair of shoes; "Oh, this sort of fits." and they never question it any further, because it is comfortable to them. They never evolve their thinking, dissect their reasoning or search for anything better. It's "too hard and too scary," to do that. Much easier just to have someone tell them what to think so they can parrot it when needed.

sudden valley gunner

That, and that they are intellectually dishonest with themselves when it comes to a conflict in their thinking. Too many people find a philosophy the same way they find a pair of shoes; "Oh, this sort of fits." and they never question it any further, because it is comfortable to them. They never evolve their thinking, dissect their reasoning or search for anything better. It's "too hard and too scary," to do that. Much easier just to have someone tell them what to think so they can parrot it when needed.

So true. I don't like violence so I must hate weapons. Not realizing or thinking that although violence is bad it might be necessary in certain circumstances.