• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT but I don,t care every one needs to see this

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No Dave, that's not a firefight. There is a big difference between the two. So again, everything that you've said is based on assumptions. You weren't there nor have you ever been in a similar situation. The man said that he didn't feel that he had a clear shot. So be it. Your blathering on about how you would have done it better is of no use to anyone and obnoxious to those of us that have experienced situations like this.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

So you are saying you would have not taken the shot when presented? not knowing if he was going to continue to take lives but run and hide in a store shivering and praying he does not come after you? Clearly you have a connection with someone as cowardly as this ???

DamonK

So you are saying you would have not taken the shot when presented? not knowing if he was going to continue to take lives but run and hide in a store shivering and praying he does not come after you? Clearly you have a connection with someone as cowardly as this ???

I'm not saying either. I'm saying that neither of us were there and therefore can't know all the variables that were presented in that situation. Me personally, in times past in a somewhat comparable situation(but in a combat zone) I did move closer under cover to remove the threat. Mind you that we were on a COP which was considered somewhat secure so I had no body armor on and was only carrying my M9 at the time. But that was that situation, not this one. As someone who has successfully taken down an assailant carrying an assault rifle (ak-74) with a handgun, I was scared out of my friggin mind and could have easily been killed. I just got VERY lucky.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I'm not saying either. I'm saying that neither of us were there and therefore can't know all the variables that were presented in that situation. Me personally, in times past in a somewhat comparable situation(but in a combat zone) I did move closer under cover to remove the threat. Mind you that we were on a COP which was considered somewhat secure so I had no body armor on and was only carrying my M9 at the time. But that was that situation, not this one. As someone who has successfully taken down an assailant carrying an assault rifle (ak-74) with a handgun, I was scared out of my friggin mind and could have easily been killed. I just got VERY lucky.

Being scared is not being cowardly, ones actions will determine that.
What I have posted here is what my position is as what anyone has posted and it will be up to each who read it to have their own response for their own reasons but if one has the opportunity as he stated he did, front sight on his head while he was behind a pillar and the perp was trying to clear a jammed rifle is not a hero as the perp could have very well went on to continue his massacre of the innocent.
You cannot deny either that taking a shot at someone can be done from many position changing it trajectory and protecting others from missed shot/s.

ApacheBunny

Being scared is not being cowardly, ones actions will determine that.
What I have posted here is what my position is as what anyone has posted and it will be up to each who read it to have their own response for their own reasons but if one has the opportunity as he stated he did, front sight on his head while he was behind a pillar and the perp was trying to clear a jammed rifle is not a hero as the perp could have very well went on to continue his massacre of the innocent.
You cannot deny either that taking a shot at someone can be done from many position changing it trajectory and protecting others from missed shot/s.
Thaaaaaaaank you, someone else who thinks he just ran for himself, and more people could of died because of his cowardice though I am glad they didn't. they didn't mention it but sound's like he left his friend and her baby there on the floor. Maybe he saw something he liked in the store who knows.

Last edited:

Varmiter

This type of thread really ticks me off.

OK. Does OR postings laws carry the weight of law? I don’t know, AND I don’t care.

This young lad was carrying in a posted business, the mall. Therefore, one would assume, that if he had the ‘stones’ to carry there, he would also have the ‘stones’ to make a critical decision when and if the time came. From his so called story (and video) even though he chose NOT to take the shot, in a fluid environment, that position WOULD have changed. A shot would have presented itself.

What I find interesting is there is no backup evidence, either in person, or security video that this young lad WAS EVEN THERE. We are left with just his word.

Even though I’m in AZ, I could have made the same claim as he, in OR, and accomplished the same headlines, in OR.

BigDave and I have locked horns on numerous occasions, on numerous subjects, and we continue to disagree. However, on this, he is absolutely right.

So.....would anyone care to PROVE me wrong on this?

Is there any security video?

Are there any police reports. If he actually was there, and drew his gun, someone would have noticed and it would be in a report somewhere.

So, I don’t think think this young lad was even there, let alone drew a weapon. He is just looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

Chris

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
If I was there I would of taken a shot or several to end the threat.

This guy did not, he failed. He lacked the training, both mental and physical, to get a shot(s) off to end the threat.

amzbrady

I actually find it hard to believe that there would be a chance of hitting someone on the other side. Are we to believe that a crowd gathered to watch the shooter instead of fleeing the scene?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
After reviewing the video, I guess my stance is still the same as he could have taken out the shooter but chose not to.
The training according to what he stated had to do with being a security guard and with their policies along with attorney's protecting their client liabilities, as we have heard before take the path of no resistance and reduce liability. You know of an employee saving a supervisors life during a robbery and was fired for doing it?

I have said it before and I will again, I have had several years of training and carrying weapons on a daily basis while working and off duty as well, from the Military, Nuclear Security, Sheriff's Office and Washington State Penn and they did not compare to the training I received as a civilian to defending myself and family, mainly because from the perspective you are fighting for.

I have not doubted that he was there but in choosing not to taking the shot by merely changing his position slightly when the shooter was dealing with a jammed rifle.
Options when he saw innocents in the background, changing position either moving toward or away to left of right to kneeling all alternating the trajectory.
Granted Cover and Concealment are very different but both offer some protection, as if he does not see you then there is a measure of safety.

The concept of him taking credit for stopping the threat, really! I don't buy into it. The idea of the shooter leaving the area could have ended up in a higher death rate, I would not have gave the shooter that choice.

Stat

didn't like it

I have been shot at twice in my life. Once, a shotgun and once a mini 14 (to many round to count) while sitting in the front seat of a patrol car. Both times I vacated the area ASAP. He is still here to tell his side.