• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gresham fredmyer locked down for reports of someone with a gun

hermannr

http://www.kptv.com/story/20355648/police-evacuate-gresham-fred-meyer-after-gun-scare
That mean if we opencarry were gunna shut down a place and get detained?

I don't think Freddy's would do it, but if they sued the 911 caller for lost revenue, calls like this would stop real quick.

May I add...you have to remember, making a false 911 call is a crime...any criminal act that causes someone else damage (lost sales here, and pay for your workers that could not work) can result in a civil judgement against you.

Last edited:

We-the-People

Reading the comments in the linked story are a bit scary.....so what if it was just an open carrier? The cops are going to show up, the store locked down, who knows how they're going to approach the carrier (i.e. locked and cocked, aimed at is head, or lawfully and CONSENSUALLY since there is no legal violation)?

Seems to me it's time for some more intensive open carrying activities.

Lord Sega

About 2.5 years back, while carrying open in my local Fred Meyer, a manager came to up to me while I was shopping.
He just wanted to make contact and let me know another customer had raised concerns.
Before he talked to me he verified by calling the Sheriff's office that it was legal, and confirmed FM corporate goes by state law.
He said there were no problems, just wanted to give me a heads-up in case the other customer should make a stink about it.

Remember, Portland (not sure about Gresham) has an unloaded open carry ordinance, but a CHL exempts.

MKEgal

While it's far-fetched for the store to sue someone for loss of business (esp. since this apparently didn't last too long), it should be common practice that the police ticket people for making false 911 calls. At least charge them the cost of the response. That might curb some of the anti's enthusiasm for making false reports.

We-the-People

While it's far-fetched for the store to sue someone for loss of business (esp. since this apparently didn't last too long), it should be common practice that the police ticket people for making false 911 calls. At least charge them the cost of the response. That might curb some of the anti's enthusiasm for making false reports.

I think they'd find it hard to charge the calling citizen when those who answer the call don't know, or don't communicate, that it is lawful activity. They'd end up being sued themselves for negligence or some such.