Thread: Is Connecticut an open carry State

Is Connecticut an open carry State

Is Connecticut an open carry State if you have a Connecticut State Permit to carry Pistols and Revolvers ??? or do you have to keep your weapon concealed ??

Banned
    Surprised no one answered this yet ...

CT is a carry state (OC or CC - up to carrier)

I think this answers your query ...

Keep the Faith!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Keep the Faith!
    That is correct, but only with a permit.

Connecticut is not a traditional open carry state. Outside of your own residence or place of business, a permit is required to carry. The permit that Connecticut issues is a carry permit, not a concealed carry permit, so open carry IS legal with a permit.
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=209
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-16-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Keep the Faith!
    Thank You
    I searched CT's website for an hour but was unable to find the answer... Do you know where I might be able to find that CT is OC or CC State ??

Yes, with a permit you may lawfully carry concealed or unconcealed.

http://ctcarry.com/FAQ/Details/2cea2...7-b7c8a611dca3

http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Unconcealed

You need to spend some time on this forum reading through past topics. All your questions have likely been answered.

2 out of 3 of the top threads (stickies) on this forum are memos from Connecticut police departments about carrying unconcealed.

Before you carry openly though, there is a lot you should understand about it and the laws in Connecticut. A 'yes or no' answer like you are asking for is not going to be much use to you.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Before you carry openly though, there is a lot you should understand about it and the laws in Connecticut. A 'yes or no' answer like you are asking for is not going to be much use to you.
    well, this would depend on if the OP is a citizen or a LEO. if the OP is a LEO then the answer really is a simple "YES, valid CT permit holders can legally carry openly or concealed". but if the OP is a law abiding citizen, rich's post is accurate: while it is legal for a valid CT permit holder to carry openly or concealed, many LEO's still ignore the legality of it and can cause (or at least attempt to cause) issues over it, and often times they will actually sound like they are right, but they are not. it can only be deemed illegal if other surrounding circumstances add to the mix; and the OC'ing is not what would be deemed as illegal, because it is not, but rather the other surrounding circumstances can be deemed as illegal in the "right" situation. which is why Rich is strongly suggesting doing a bunch of research before just up and heading out OC'ing. there is a lot to know to avoid problems, legal or not

^my personal 2 cents^

[QUOTE=motoxmann;1867150]...many LEO's still ignore the legality of it...^

Not me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoupe View Post
    Thank You
    I searched CT's website for an hour but was unable to find the answer... Do you know where I might be able to find that CT is OC or CC State ??
    Look up CT General Statue Section 29-28 .... go to CT legislature website ... and browse the statutes and find it