• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Connecticut an open carry State

tcoupe

Is Connecticut an open carry State if you have a Connecticut State Permit to carry Pistols and Revolvers ??? or do you have to keep your weapon concealed ??

davidmcbeth

Banned
Surprised no one answered this yet ...

CT is a carry state (OC or CC - up to carrier)

I think this answers your query ...

Keep the Faith!:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That is correct, but only with a permit.

Connecticut is not a traditional open carry state. Outside of your own residence or place of business, a permit is required to carry. The permit that Connecticut issues is a carry permit, not a concealed carry permit, so open carry IS legal with a permit.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=209

Last edited:

tcoupe

Thank You
I searched CT's website for an hour but was unable to find the answer... Do you know where I might be able to find that CT is OC or CC State ??

Rich B

Yes, with a permit you may lawfully carry concealed or unconcealed.

http://ctcarry.com/FAQ/Details/2cea2354-0847-43cb-9977-b7c8a611dca3

http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Unconcealed

You need to spend some time on this forum reading through past topics. All your questions have likely been answered.

2 out of 3 of the top threads (stickies) on this forum are memos from Connecticut police departments about carrying unconcealed.

Before you carry openly though, there is a lot you should understand about it and the laws in Connecticut. A 'yes or no' answer like you are asking for is not going to be much use to you.

motoxmann

Before you carry openly though, there is a lot you should understand about it and the laws in Connecticut. A 'yes or no' answer like you are asking for is not going to be much use to you.

well, this would depend on if the OP is a citizen or a LEO. if the OP is a LEO then the answer really is a simple "YES, valid CT permit holders can legally carry openly or concealed". but if the OP is a law abiding citizen, rich's post is accurate: while it is legal for a valid CT permit holder to carry openly or concealed, many LEO's still ignore the legality of it and can cause (or at least attempt to cause) issues over it, and often times they will actually sound like they are right, but they are not. it can only be deemed illegal if other surrounding circumstances add to the mix; and the OC'ing is not what would be deemed as illegal, because it is not, but rather the other surrounding circumstances can be deemed as illegal in the "right" situation. which is why Rich is strongly suggesting doing a bunch of research before just up and heading out OC'ing. there is a lot to know to avoid problems, legal or not

^my personal 2 cents^

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thank You
I searched CT's website for an hour but was unable to find the answer... Do you know where I might be able to find that CT is OC or CC State ??

Look up CT General Statue Section 29-28 .... go to CT legislature website ... and browse the statutes and find it