• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Decision Not To Shoot Was a Sound One...

Gil223

From KGW.com:
PORTLAND -- Nick Meli is emotionally drained. The 22-year-old was at Clackamas Town Center with a friend and her baby when a masked man opened fire.
"I heard three shots and turned and looked at Casey and said, 'are you serious?,'" he said.
The friend and baby hit the floor. Meli, who has a concealed carry permit, positioned himself behind a pillar.
"He was working on his rifle," said Meli. "He kept pulling the charging handle and hitting the side."
The break in gunfire allowed Meli to pull out his own gun, but he never took his eyes off the shooter.
"As I was going down to pull, I saw someone in the back of the Charlotte move, and I knew if I fired and missed, I could hit them," he said.
Meli took cover inside a nearby store. He never pulled the trigger. He stands by that decision.
"I'm not beating myself up cause I didn't shoot him," said Meli. "I know after he saw me, I think the last shot he fired was the one he used on himself."
The gunman was dead, but not before taking two innocent lives with him and taking the innocence of everyone else.
"I don't ever want to see anyone that way ever," said Meli. "It just bothers me."

The after-incident interview video - which is not just a rehash of the printed article - is here: http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html

This young man not only acquired his target, but (as he should have been) he was also aware of what was behind the BG, and opted not to fire his G22 pistol. GOOD DECISION! :) Pax...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
And who knows how many more people would have been shot before the suicide if the gunman had not seen an armed citizen. These guys that do this are most certainly going to want to die and not risk any chance of injury and apprehension.

sudden valley gunner

Agreed, the guy weighed the outcome and chose not to hurt another by accident.

It showed a measure of self control and concern and restraint the anti's say don't exist among gun owners.