Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Mike Huckabee statement on Sandy Hook shooting

  1. #1
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763

    Mike Huckabee statement on Sandy Hook shooting

    Some people will hate me for posting this, others may agree with the content of this article

    I don't care if you go one way or the other. here it is

    Mike Huckabee's monologue on the Connecticut shooting.
    http://www.mikehuckabee.com/mike-huc...2-467097d2029f
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mount Airy, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Some people will hate me for posting this, others may agree with the content of this article

    I don't care if you go one way or the other. here it is

    Mike Huckabee's monologue on the Connecticut shooting.
    http://www.mikehuckabee.com/mike-huc...2-467097d2029f
    i live in a open carry state. here in NC. I find it rather interesting that the media. Shortly after 24 hours quit useing the assult rifle term. and are now calling it a combat rifle. if we could just get the media on the right PC path. I belive that we could find that all views will be shared. instead of it being onesided all the time.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by John Carol Heinz View Post
    i live in a open carry state. here in NC. I find it rather interesting that the media. Shortly after 24 hours quit useing the assult rifle term. and are now calling it a combat rifle. if we could just get the media on the right PC path. I belive that we could find that all views will be shared. instead of it being onesided all the time.
    Not to change the topic but could you link to that for me, please?

    I will take time to read the Huckabee thing later.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Mike needs to learn the subtle art of paragraphing.

    But, he is essentially correct. No single act like Newtown can be directly traced to any single act of abandonment of God. However, in general, these acts should not be surprising in light of our nation's general turning away from God.

    I firmly believe that whether or not God exists is a personal choice. When you say he doesn't exist, he doesn't, and you are on your own in a Godless world, destined to an eternal Godless existence. When you say he exists, you join Him in His creation, with all the blessings and benefits, eternally. When a nation generally acknowledges God, He blesses them. When they disavow Him, he simply does not bless them, and they become more subject to the evil that man creates.

    Now, I know most of you here are either committed believers in God or committed atheists. I am not looking for an argument on the existence of God (though I know it is already afoot). As a matter of fact, I am saying that, if you say He does not exist, He doesn't--for you. God will let you make that choice. You probably don't want my pity, but I pity folks who deny themselves God's freely given gift.

    What I say is mainly directed at those still wondering and searching. Let the Spirit of God into your life. It is amazing when it happens, and you will KNOW it. He will touch you often to varying degrees, and it will still amaze you every time it happens.

  5. #5
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    These acts have nothing to do with any sort of god.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    These acts have nothing to do with any sort of god.
    +1 absolutely nothing~~these acts were the acts of a nut case. Who knows his reasoning he did not bother to share, not that I care. If there is a hell I hope he burns in it. Personally I think we see so many of these acts because the media and the country obsesses over them so much. It seems like each nut case tries to out do the nut case before.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    These acts have nothing to do with any sort of god.
    I think Mike was discussing the absence of religion on our society as a whole. The Christian values of turning the other cheek when wronged. To not seeking revenge for every person who does you wrong. The idea that life is more than just our mortal existence. That life is a test for the afterlife.

    When I was a pup, abortion was not legal where I lived and the SCOTUS Roe case created an immediate call to some Christians to try to prevent laws from being passed to prevent it in my state. I recall this effort even as a young boy. It resonates with me still today..the efforts of people to save the unborn. And I recall the angst of the result upon the people trying to stop this when it actually went forward. The church was active in this issue and seemed to just melt away afterwards.

    The state has marginalized religion and so has religion itself, thinking its better to stay on the sidelines rather than use a bully pulpit. I think that on gun control issues, the church should sit on the political sideline regarding legislation but continue its mission in respect to teaching Christian values. Its axiomatic for the Catholic church to talk about gun control after the Crusades and after Ireland's fight for independence from the English.

    But on the whole, our society is going down a path that minimizes human life's value. And I think that Mike was pointing this out.

    And Mike's discussion is not a new idea ...

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I think Mike was discussing the absence of religion on our society as a whole. The Christian values of turning the other cheek when wronged. To not seeking revenge for every person who does you wrong. The idea that life is more than just our mortal existence. That life is a test for the afterlife.

    When I was a pup, abortion was not legal where I lived and the SCOTUS Roe case created an immediate call to some Christians to try to prevent laws from being passed to prevent it in my state. I recall this effort even as a young boy. It resonates with me still today..the efforts of people to save the unborn. And I recall the angst of the result upon the people trying to stop this when it actually went forward. The church was active in this issue and seemed to just melt away afterwards.

    The state has marginalized religion and so has religion itself, thinking its better to stay on the sidelines rather than use a bully pulpit. I think that on gun control issues, the church should sit on the political sideline regarding legislation but continue its mission in respect to teaching Christian values. Its axiomatic for the Catholic church to talk about gun control after the Crusades and after Ireland's fight for independence from the English.

    But on the whole, our society is going down a path that minimizes human life's value. And I think that Mike was pointing this out.

    And Mike's discussion is not a new idea ...
    I agree. I personally do believe in God, but I think the argument being made does not rely on that belief.

    The values and beliefs taught by religion, by the Bible, heck just by the 10 commandments will guide a child in how they act as they grow older.

    Why is it that the 10 commandments are banned from schools? If children see signs saying "Do not murder" and "do not lie" every single day then they might actually follow them?

  9. #9
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonz View Post
    I agree. I personally do believe in God, but I think the argument being made does not rely on that belief.

    The values and beliefs taught by religion, by the Bible, heck just by the 10 commandments will guide a child in how they act as they grow older.

    Why is it that the 10 commandments are banned from schools? If children see signs saying "Do not murder" and "do not lie" every single day then they might actually follow them?
    God's Ten Commandments do not prohibit lying in general.
    9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
    God prohibits bearing false witness (lying) against your neighbor. God does not command us to not lie to our neighbor. We as a civilized society figured out that lying to our neighbor is wrong.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    1,059

    Mike Huckabee statement on Sandy Hook shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonz View Post
    ...
    The values and beliefs taught by religion, by the Bible, heck just by the 10 commandments will guide a child in how they act as they grow older.

    Why is it that the 10 commandments are banned from schools? If children see signs saying "Do not murder" and "do not lie" every single day then they might actually follow them?
    Because these values are not uniquely Christian or uniquely religious. They are universal and timeless. All great civilizations recognize(d) the value of getting along and the importance of trust for the advancement of the society. Framing them as religious ideals does mankind a disservice.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    Because these values are not uniquely Christian or uniquely religious. They are universal and timeless. All great civilizations recognize(d) the value of getting along and the importance of trust for the advancement of the society. Framing them as religious ideals does mankind a disservice.
    Most are not tied to religion, I'll agree with that ... but the afterlife? Seems religious in nature, even pagan religions in history .. atheists don't believe in an afterlife, right?

  12. #12
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    *snippy*I think Mike was discussing the absence of religion on our society as a whole. The Christian values of turning the other cheek when wronged. To not seeking revenge for every person who does you wrong. The idea that life is more than just our mortal existence. That life is a test for the afterlife.

    [...]

    The state has marginalized religion and so has religion itself, thinking its better to stay on the sidelines rather than use a bully pulpit. I think that on gun control issues, the church should sit on the political sideline regarding legislation but continue its mission in respect to teaching Christian values. Its axiomatic for the Catholic church to talk about gun control after the Crusades and after Ireland's fight for independence from the English.*tin-snip-a-roo*
    Since when has the teaching of forgiving someone who have wronged you, and to not seek revenge, and such been solely christian?! These are things that pre-date Judeo-christian beliefs, stemming from Pagen spiritualists of all sorts, and forms from every continent on this planet, well, excepting Antarctica, unless Penguins are sentient.

    And what is so wrong with marginalizing religion? Government should by all means, minimize, and reduce religion as whole to a purely home-practice. This isn't a christian nation, it's a multicultural nation filled with thousands of different belief systems, and thousands of different faiths and types of spiritualists just as it was prior to it's founding.

    /end-rant
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Which pagAn religion taught forgiveness pre-Christianity? Cites, please.

    The government started marginalizing marriage decades ago when it began encouraging unmarried mothers with its welfare programs. How has that worked out for us?

  14. #14
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Which pagAn religion taught forgiveness pre-Christianity? Cites, please.

    The government started marginalizing marriage decades ago when it began encouraging unmarried mothers with its welfare programs. How has that worked out for us?
    I can think of a parable from an ancient American Indian story by my local tribe that has the idea of forgiveness. By some estimates these people have been here for around 8000 years.

    The notion of forgiving is a human trait not a religious trait.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,011
    Looks like Huckabee isn't the only huckster try to may hay from this tragedy.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2318015.html

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    Looks like Huckabee isn't the only huckster try to may hay from this tragedy.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2318015.html
    Well lets really see who is benefitting. Now the anti American libtards have the ammo they wanted to ban and restrict guns or should I say freedom? You need to see the forest through the trees, but there is no reasoning with koolaid gulpers. You can turn yours in first, get it?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,011
    Another fundy jumps on the bandwagon. Keep those donations coming!
    http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slic...tings-judgment

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    too long ; didn't read

    Is he suggesting this happened to these 5-7 year olds because we don't hold worship and prayer services in school?

    Do church stuff at church, school stuff at school, and mosque stuff at a mosque. What's so wrong/offensive about that?
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  19. #19
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Which pagAn religion taught forgiveness pre-Christianity? Cites, please.

    The government started marginalizing marriage decades ago when it began encouraging unmarried mothers with its welfare programs. How has that worked out for us?
    Marrigage is an instrument of religion and as such the government should stay out of it. (other than enforcement of the contract aspect of it)

    Yes, I know that's not where you were going.

    Moving on.

    ETA, on further thought the above statement is horrible. Are you insinuating that women be finacially chained to a man? If not how does welfare encourage unwed mothers? Enlightmen me please. I say this as a man who's "wife" is a stay at home mom. That is her choice though, I would actually prefer she work.

    ETA again.

    I guess I stand corrected. It is officially the woman's fault just like Buffett said.

    http://www.cato.org/publications/con...-state-crime-0
    Of course women do not get pregnant just to get welfare benefits. It is also true that a wide array of other social factors has contributed to the growth in out-of-wedlock births. But, by removing the economic consequences of a out-of-wedlock birth, welfare has removed a major incentive to avoid such pregnancies. A teenager looking around at her friends and neighbors is liable to see several who have given birth out of wedlock. When she sees that they have suffered few visible immediate consequences (the very real consequences of such behavior are often not immediately apparent), she is less inclined to modify her own behavior to prevent pregnancy.
    Jimmy Buffett
    Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
    Last edited by sharkey; 12-20-2012 at 12:48 AM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    I'm still battling the welfare marriage thing internally.

    People are people and if the above statements are true then my guess is without welfare there would be more abortions (not less sex) ... which is worse than welfare mothers right?

    History is rife with single mothers is it not? Now I have to research the history of marrigage (not the 1950's TV show perfect world many seem to think was the norm in society for era's)

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member Jim675's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,037
    I wonder at what point in our history he believes we were sufficiently Godly that we were free of violent crime driven by mental illness or just plain meanness.

    Such incidents go back to our founding (and all of human history).

    Selective perception and selective exposure feeding his confirmation bias.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    too long ; didn't read

    Is he suggesting this happened to these 5-7 year olds because we don't hold worship and prayer services in school?

    Do church stuff at church, school stuff at school, and mosque stuff at a mosque. What's so wrong/offensive about that?
    No he isn't. That is the precise oversimplification he is avoiding. If you read it you will find that out.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    My wife works with a woman whose mother had told her a few years back that it was time for her to start pulling her weight. It was about time she got pregnant so she could start getting her checks.

    So it IS as simple as women having children out of wedlock just for welfare.

    And it is also not that simple. As everyone on this board knows, and most will admit when it benefits their argument, that which is incentivized will occur more frequently than if it weren't--even if not everyone deliberately adjusts their behavior to receive the incentive. However, in the above case, we can see that deliberate behavior to gain the benefit does happen--any lame denials notwithstanding.

  24. #24
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    My wife works with a woman whose mother had told her a few years back that it was time for her to start pulling her weight. It was about time she got pregnant so she could start getting her checks.

    So it IS as simple as women having children out of wedlock just for welfare.

    And it is also not that simple. As everyone on this board knows, and most will admit when it benefits their argument, that which is incentivized will occur more frequently than if it weren't--even if not everyone deliberately adjusts their behavior to receive the incentive. However, in the above case, we can see that deliberate behavior to gain the benefit does happen--any lame denials notwithstanding.
    True and this happens from poor people using kids as a way to get benefits to corporations, and even our military and government agencies, teacher and police unions etc. Remove the moral hazards and protections from the government and the real society will emerge.

    It's why I don't rally against things like "immigration" because our border problems are obfuscated by government drug wars and entitlements.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •