• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mike Huckabee statement on Sandy Hook shooting

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I wonder at what point in our history he believes we were sufficiently Godly that we were free of violent crime driven by mental illness or just plain meanness.

Such incidents go back to our founding (and all of human history).

Selective perception and selective exposure feeding his confirmation bias.

eye95

too long ; didn't read

Is he suggesting this happened to these 5-7 year olds because we don't hold worship and prayer services in school?

Do church stuff at church, school stuff at school, and mosque stuff at a mosque. What's so wrong/offensive about that?

No he isn't. That is the precise oversimplification he is avoiding. If you read it you will find that out.

eye95

My wife works with a woman whose mother had told her a few years back that it was time for her to start pulling her weight. It was about time she got pregnant so she could start getting her checks.

So it IS as simple as women having children out of wedlock just for welfare.

And it is also not that simple. As everyone on this board knows, and most will admit when it benefits their argument, that which is incentivized will occur more frequently than if it weren't--even if not everyone deliberately adjusts their behavior to receive the incentive. However, in the above case, we can see that deliberate behavior to gain the benefit does happen--any lame denials notwithstanding.

sudden valley gunner

My wife works with a woman whose mother had told her a few years back that it was time for her to start pulling her weight. It was about time she got pregnant so she could start getting her checks.

So it IS as simple as women having children out of wedlock just for welfare.

And it is also not that simple. As everyone on this board knows, and most will admit when it benefits their argument, that which is incentivized will occur more frequently than if it weren't--even if not everyone deliberately adjusts their behavior to receive the incentive. However, in the above case, we can see that deliberate behavior to gain the benefit does happen--any lame denials notwithstanding.

True and this happens from poor people using kids as a way to get benefits to corporations, and even our military and government agencies, teacher and police unions etc. Remove the moral hazards and protections from the government and the real society will emerge.

It's why I don't rally against things like "immigration" because our border problems are obfuscated by government drug wars and entitlements.