• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What should we expect?

self preservation

I know that none of us can tell the future. I know that many of us will have different predictions. But with the comments that Obama has been making such as "it's time for meaningful action" and "I'll do everything in my power to prevent future mass shootings", what does the future hold for the 2A? As we all know it's not just the White House but several law makers as well that support this. What changes do you think we will see?:uhoh:

eye95

The real threat to the 2A is the future makeup of the SCOTUS. Obama can try to do anything else; it won't work. But, when he nominates more anti-gunners to the Court, then the RKBA will die.

Some were too stupid to see this prior to the election, that this was the KEY issue. Well, we will soon pay the price for folks being "true to themselves." Thanks a lot. Our only remaining hope for the RKBA is that the Senate won't confirm an anti-gunner replacing a justice who respected our rights. It's a slim hope.

beebobby

I expect a call to restrict the sale of high cap. magazines. I also expect a call for legislation requiring that firearms be locked up unless they are being used.

Last edited:

carracer

I think that there will be an AWB. I don't think it will be as radical as Feinsteins. Hi cap mags will be included. 6 months from now when another shooting occurs is when the big push and a ban and turn in or be arrested for having any semiauto will occur.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I expect a call to restrict the sale of high cap. magazines. I also expect a call for legislation requiring that firearms be locked up unless they are being used.

Well, they already limit rounds in a shotgun .... but this has never been tested after Heller/McDonald. It is unconstitutional IMO. And this would re-classify the street-sweeper in all likelihood. So do they want to play a game of chicken? I imagine some would...because they are idiots to think such a limit would fly.

Requiring locking up firearms? This was knocked down already under Heller or McDonald's trigger lock analysis.

The fascist on the East and West coasts and crime ridden cities don't run this country or can overturn the constitution.

Bloomberg should just relax and have a Super Big Gulp.

acmariner99

Diane Fienstein has already said she would submit legislation when Congress convenes next year to ban assault weapons and restrict magazines to 10 rounds or less. I don't think there will be a push to ban ALL semi-automatic firearms. I don't know what the majority opinion will be in Congress whether to pass such legislation or not. What I think needs to happen is to take a better look about taking care of people who are mentally ill.

davidmcbeth

Banned
What I think needs to happen is to take a better look about taking care of people who are mentally ill.

I don't think anyone wants crazy people to own guns...but what level of regulation are you willing to accept?

a) a requirement that a person wishing to buy a gun undergo a private mental examination?
b) same as (a) but with a government examiner?
c) a yearly checkup with a private mental health professional (MHP)?
d) same as (c) but with a government MHP?
e) that people deemed as crazy to wear a scarlet letter "C" on their clothing?
f) that households be required to turn over their guns to the po po if one in the house is found to be crazy?
g) that anyone prescribed certain meds be required to either 1) turn in their guns or 2) undergo continual MHP exams?
h) same as (f) but if one household member is taking certain meds?
l) requiring people to get a gun safe to store guns? (this may have issues per SCOTUS Heller/McDonald)
j) require gun owners who feel sad to call their local PDs?
k) require people going through divorce to turn in their guns?

As you can see, the possibilities are almost endless ... and can be expensive regulations for a gun owner.

Sane ... sane ... sane .. sane .. CRAZY ! Of course a sane person would not want to harm anyone but then one becomes crazy and may not care...

Its like being alive. Everyone dies instantly .... your alive, alive, alive, DEAD. Its in an instant.
Same for sanity.

I think we have enough laws .. more laws would not have changed the outcome of the Newtown tragedy. Sad but true.

self preservation

I don't think anyone wants crazy people to own guns...but what level of regulation are you willing to accept?

a) a requirement that a person wishing to buy a gun undergo a private mental examination?
f) that households be required to turn over their guns to the po po if one in the house is found to be crazy?
g) that anyone prescribed certain meds be required to either 1) turn in their guns or 2) undergo continual MHP exams?
l) requiring people to get a gun safe to store guns? (this may have issues per SCOTUS Heller/McDonald)

As you can see, the possibilities are almost endless ... and can be expensive regulations for a gun owner.

Sane ... sane ... sane .. sane .. CRAZY ! Of course a sane person would not want to harm anyone but then one becomes crazy and may not care...

Its like being alive. Everyone dies instantly .... your alive, alive, alive, DEAD. Its in an instant.
Same for sanity.

I think we have enough laws .. more laws would not have changed the outcome of the Newtown tragedy. Sad but true.

I have used the same argument before. We don't want crazy people to have guns. But in today's society what in the hell is really crazy? Charles Manson once said “You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”

can be expensive regulations for a gun owner.

I think this will be one form of a "ban." If you can't get rid of something make it so damn expensive that no one can afford it.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The only limit on shotguns is one for waterfowl hunting or some other hunting limit.

Other wise here at least here there in no limit on mag cap 4 shoot gun.

If they call for a comlete ban along with Confiscation it will be easier to defeat then a piece meal approach and a death by a thousand cuts..

eye95

Of course Manson thinks everyone is crazy.

But if everyone else says you are crazy an you are saying that everyone else is crazy, guess who is crazy.

It is absolutely reasonable that folks adjudicated to be crazy be denied firearms--as long as due process is followed and the opportunity to be adjudicated not crazy is available.

Let's fight the battles worth fighting, and not the ones that make us look fringe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

georg jetson

SNIP

It is absolutely reasonable that folks adjudicated to be crazy be denied firearms--as long as due process is followed and the opportunity to be adjudicated not crazy is available.

SNIP

If someone's right to self defense is forfeited, then he/should be incarcerated. Why would we want someone not to have a firearm, yet have access to a baseball bat, gasoline, knives etc... ?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Of course Manson thinks everyone is crazy.

But if everyone else says you are crazy an you are saying that everyone else is crazy, guess who is crazy.

Let's fight the battles worth fighting, and not the ones that make us look fringe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

The olde "I'm not crazy, you're crazy" ploy, eh lol

But really, what would you consider not to be the "fringe" ?

beebobby

Same for sanity.

How Israel handles individual ownership/carry:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...sons-from-israel-where-guns-are-a-way-of-life

From the article:
Young men carrying M16 rifles – soldiers either on their way back or coming home from their military base – are a common sight on main streets in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv.

However, it is very difficult for any Israeli civilian to purchase and own a gun, and all must have a license to do so. The ownership of assault rifles by a private person is forbidden, and pistols are limited to one per person.

In a country with a population of almost 8 million there are only about 300,000 weapons, of which just over half - 170,000 - belong to private individuals. The rest belong to security institutions.

The license process, which must be completed every year, includes mental and physical health checkups as well as a firing-range exercise. Most importantly, it is a crime with harsh penalty to carry a weapon in Israel without a license.

Security guards must meet regulations before they are granted the license to carry a gun; they must be at least 27 years old, unless they served in the army, in which case they can apply at the age of 21. They also need to be a resident of Israel for at least three years and sign a waiver that gives the health ministry and the police the right to check their health and criminal records.

OC for ME

How Israel handles individual ownership/carry: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...sons-from-israel-where-guns-are-a-way-of-life From the article: Young men carrying M16 rifles – soldiers either on their way back or coming home from their military base – are a common sight on main streets in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. However, it is very difficult for any Israeli civilian to purchase and own a gun, and all must have a license to do so. The ownership of assault rifles by a private person is forbidden, and pistols are limited to one per person. In a country with a population of almost 8 million there are only about 300,000 weapons, of which just over half - 170,000 - belong to private individuals. The rest belong to security institutions. The license process, which must be completed every year, includes mental and physical health checkups as well as a firing-range exercise. Most importantly, it is a crime with harsh penalty to carry a weapon in Israel without a license. Security guards must meet regulations before they are granted the license to carry a gun; they must be at least 27 years old, unless they served in the army, in which case they can apply at the age of 21. They also need to be a resident of Israel for at least three years and sign a waiver that gives the health ministry and the police the right to check their health and criminal records.
I certainly hope Obama is not reading this thread.

Sig229

I'll tell you whats going to happen. The DEMS will rally around Obama and Feintsien on a new and more restrictive AWB. And the Republicans being the cowards they are will vote right a long with them.

What will happen his, the Pres will introduce an extremely restrictive law, then the DEMS will "compromise" on a slightly more restrictive 1994 AWB.

The ONLY hope we have is the Heller decision -that clearly stated "AR 15's are used for sporting purposes". However, that made no mention of standard capacity magazines. So Im sure we are screwed on that point too.

We all knew that we woke up to a different American November 7th. Now we have wiped the sleep from out of our eyes and are horrified at the sight of it.

Im actually disgusted with out government at this point. Literately sick to my stomach.